Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Snypie

Problems with my first flood and drain

Posted (edited)

Hy,

I started a new round with flood and drain system. I have a GHE ebb&grow. It has a 100 litres (~25 gallons) res and a 95  cm (~38 inch) x 95 cm tray which is 10 cm (~4 inch) tall. I started 4 Kalichina x zameldelica seeds from ACE seeds in 1 inch Rw. 1 died due to underwatering. After 10 days there was plenty of roots coming out the Rw's bottom so I putted the remaining 3  into the system. I filled the whole tray with hydroton (Plagron clay pebbles) and putted the Rw 1 cm (~0.4 inch) above the water line. I covered the whole table with mylar. I started flooding them 2 times per day and hand watered 1 or 2 times per day. I stopped hand watering for 4 days because the leaves were droopy. I can't decide it is overwatering or underwatering. The Rw is not soaking wet just moist. The hydroton above the flood line is very dry below it is not wet and not bone dry. I feel it as cold and browner then the upper layer. Maybe it is too dry?

The plants shows droopy leaves which has several nute deficiancies. Like yellowing and browning (like overwatering in soil which is just under oxygenating).

I have LED lightning dimmed down to 140w and the canopy is under 50 cm from the lamp. I have a 100x100x180 cm (40x40x74 inch) tent. The Rh is 70% with 27-28 (81-82 fahrenheit) celsius degree when the light is on, when it is ott the Rh 70-75% with 25-26 (77-79 fahrenheit) celsius degree. The Ph is Always 5.6-6.2 and the ec is now 1.5 (750 ppm on 500 scale). I use Ro water with GHE Flora trio for soft water. I add 1.2 (600 ppm on 500 scale) Ec nutes plus 3 ml/l H2O2 which gives another 0.3 Ec (150 ppm). I have a chiller so my nutes temps is always 19-20 (66-68 fahrenheit) celsius degree.

The plants are 3 weeks old now.

Is this a problem if I filled the whole tray with hydroton?

Should I increase the flooding times?

I can take pictures when the lights turn on.

Edited by Snypie
Spelling
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Im going to say you have placed the plant into the tray to early. My advice is take the mylar off the table and just hand water the plant for a week until the roots make their way down into the pebbles. 19-20c with hydroton in a table is a little chilly on it, it's not dwc. When watering your plant don't have the rockwool soaking wet you will get rot rot, water around the cube for awhile. You could also put the plants in their own fabric pots full of hydroton rather than filling the tray with them.

Post a photo when you can as it can help.

Toke...

Edited by tokenroll
2 people like this

I Will post photos when they wake up thank you for your help in advance.

What is the best rez temp if you say 19-20c is too cool?

1 person likes this

Im running top drip 15 mins on 30 mins off if I recall and nutrient temp is 24c sometimes 26c for the plants in flower. I removed the chiller from my setup ages ago and this grow is running more less perfect. Now I do run a uv-sterlizer every time I clean up the res. for a few hours just to clean the water. I did have the steriliser running all the time but have found it's not needed either. When I tried dwc no matter what I done I had problems. 

Toke...

Posted (edited)

Here is the pictures. In my opinion they are not so droopy when i left home in the morning. Last watering was 16 hours ago.

What is your opinion? Can i manage the whole tray hydroton thing with less watering (maybe 1 time per day) or should i transplant them in netpots/smartpots? @tokenroll

large.20190731_200408_re.jpglarge.20190731_200400_re.jpglarge.20190731_200351_re.jpglarge.20190731_200336_re.jpg

Edited by Snypie
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I honestly would take that mylar off, I tried something like that a few years ago I could not get it to work. When you flood and drain air gets sucked down and exchanged so your restricted that as far as im aware, let them breath. Also reduce your ec down to about 0.6 for a few days as your mix is a little strong by the looks of it. They drink more water than food in this heat and at that size. My plants in drip feed hydroton are getting 1.4 ec background 0.4 .  Easy to see how strong your mix is.

Hopefully some other members will give their opinion.

Toke...

Edited by tokenroll
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

OK, thank you @tokenroll. I will take off the mylar and reduce the EC. But can you give me advice on flooding times? How much per day? I am filling the tray under 2 mins so i set the timer to 3 mins. And the draining is 3 mins.

And one more question to learn. You see my mix is strong. But how do you see? The browning of the edges? It is nute burn not overwatering?

Edited by Snypie