Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


TJStoner

Problems end of flowering

17 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I have an issue with my plants.  I am growing in Autopots in soil and have been using Smaurai nutrients, and am currently in week 6 of flower  I noticed issues that I thought was a deficiency, but after purchasing an EC meter and reading the run off I was told it was nutrient lockout due to build up of salts in the pots. The EC was coming out at 3.0.  I flushed through with FloraKleen and then water until the EC was down to 0.8. 

 

Im not sure what to do next, should I continue feeding (im on Dragon Force now) or shall I just feed with water until the trichomes are all cloudy ?

 

I think the plants are still hungry due to the lockout, but im not sure if they can be saved so late into flower now ?

 

 

large.9A9BC4F8-30B8-4E87-8DEA-86F3B7A115AA.jpglarge.D0F81BD0-A82C-4E1D-BB54-7546FE2DDA01.jpglarge.AF7A029C-3611-4D7F-938A-97CFB52F6E6B.jpglarge.1E8A19A1-BAF1-45E9-A273-55437BE8889D.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Shit dude, crispy.  That's probably going to affect taste, done it myself and it sucks.  Can i ask how much you were feeding ml per litre etc to reach that point?  I'd be pretty cautious about overfeeding again.  I think salts dissolve better in a low nutrient mix than they would in just plain water, so a very light feed with good run off should be alright.  You're close to the end, stick with it I say.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Hi I followed the feed chart for Shogun Nutrients: https://shogunfertilisers.com/feedcharts/ - Everything was fine until a couple of weeks ago then it quickly turned into what you see above.  I will be flushing more regularly during my next grow 

Share this post


Link to post

Flushing in soil is a bad idea dude.  Flushing is what you do when you have to, I wouldn't be using it as a preventative measure, I'd be feeding less so i don't have to flush.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I was told that I had nutrient lockout because there was a build up of salts in the AutoPots and that I needed to flush to bring the EC down??

Share this post


Link to post

Correct man.  Flushing is something you can use as a corrective measure.  You said you were planning on doing it more frequently on your next grow.  That's why I said its not a good idea in soil, its a needs must situation.  Feed less and you won't need to flush.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

The salt build-up might be caused by insufficient run-off when watering...You should be getting about 20% runoff, washes out unused nutes and draws oxygen into the root zone.

Spot on with flushing, to be avoided , (sometimes you have no choice) sticking the poor plants on a 'yo-yo' diet does them no good.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Thats a classic Calcium def. It can be caused by a few things but there's not a lot you can do now.

 

I'd feed at half strength with the basic nutes and give them a decent flush at the end

 

It doesn't affect the taste in my experience

 

Owd

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

They look dry brother. Do they water them enough?

Edited by Owderb

Share this post


Link to post

Hi they are in AutoPots so the plant decides its own feeding.  There is an aqua valve that fills the trays and the plants bottom feed until the water is gone, then the valve will sink down and automatically refill the trays again.

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

Quick question then, if they sit in the water feed how do you achieve run off, preventing salt build-up?  I've seen @Owderb do it too, but wouldn't have a clue how to achieve run off in that system.

 

The reason I said it might affect taste is because my first crop was badly over-fed and looked very similar to yours and tasted like shit, gave the lot (32Oz - yes that bad) away.  Fingers crossed you're not in my first experience.  Good luck dude.

Edited by FatBoy77

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, FatBoy77 said:

Quick question then, if they sit in the water feed how do you achieve run off, preventing salt build-up?  I've seen @Owderb do it too, but wouldn't have a clue how to achieve run off in that system.

 

The reason I said it might affect taste is because my first crop was badly over-fed and looked very similar to yours and tasted like shit, gave the lot (32Oz - yes that bad) away.  Fingers crossed you're not in my first experience.  Good luck dude.

 

I had to get the pots out and put them ontop of a bucket and flush through with about 20l of water.  Apparently the salts only occupy the top 2.5 inches and shouldn't effect the crop, but I was told that in some circumstances it can build up to very high levels and spread downwards

Share this post


Link to post

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, TJStoner said:

 

I had to get the pots out and put them ontop of a bucket and flush through with about 20l of water.  Apparently the salts only occupy the top 2.5 inches and shouldn't effect the crop, but I was told that in some circumstances it can build up to very high levels and spread downwards

Don't mean to sound like a dick mate, but I would stop listening to whoever is giving you advice. Sounds like they haven't got a Scooby :bong:. As Owd has said that's calcium def and flushing them wouldn't of helped. Measuring run off ec is not a accurate way to see what's happening in your rhizosphere, you need to do a slurry test with distilled water mate for a accurate reading. Hope this helps bro

Edited by ukbudz
Add more info
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
On 19/07/2019 at 2:07 PM, Owderb said:

Thats a classic Calcium def. It can be caused by a few things but there's not a lot you can do now.

 

I'd feed at half strength with the basic nutes and give them a decent flush at the end

 

It doesn't affect the taste in my experience

 

Owd

 

Forgive my ignorance, but as a noob trying to learn, i may have a silly question lol.

If its a Calcium def. and as he is only in week 6 of flower, then can he not use Cal-Mag to fix the problem or Epsom salts?

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Subutai said:

 

Forgive my ignorance, but as a noob trying to learn, i may have a silly question lol.

If its a Calcium def. and as he is only in week 6 of flower, then can he not use Cal-Mag to fix the problem or Epsom salts?

A deficit may occur because of quite a few things, not just the absence of calmag in the feed.  If the deficit is being caused by lockout due to nutrients then adding more nutrients is not going to fix the problem, but will probably make it worse.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now