PC gaming

Military Grade

Thought this place needed a PC gaming only section to filter out all the console chat.

I'm currently running a 6700k and a GTX 1080, still going strong.

Mainly playing Arma 3 Exile Mod, DayZSA Expansion Mod, Project Cars 2 and Fifa 23, I sometimes dabble in other games from my library like GTA5 and Arma Reforger.

I recently tried the newly ported Taviana map to DayZSA it looks very nice on the new Enfusion graphics engine. Brings back loads of memories from my Arma 2 DayZ mod days.

I watched a video the other day comparing the Steam deck vs the Asus device coming out on Linus Tech Tips both pretty cool devices for the price.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 7

Nice :)  Also good idea!

I recently upgraded to a i5-11600K and RTX3080ti, the latter is still sitting on my credit card waiting to get paid for the job I am about to finish.  Just about worth it 2nd hand from CEX with my 1080 traded in. I'm in the same case I was in when I went freelance in 2006.  Next big upgrade I will have to get a new case, but I can't see that happening for another 5 - 10 years.

I mostly play Elite Dangerous (flying around in space doing stuff) with a new friend and Fortnite (I know, I know, but I look so pretty on screen in a catsuit with a massive assault rifle...) with an old friend.

Previous favourites include the Fallout series, Far Cry / Crysis, Dead Island and Half Life games among many, many others.

I've been gaming since the ZX Spectrum 16K though I started with PC Game Robot Nim on a school friends dad's Commodore Pet, then Atari VCS and Collecovision,, moved on to the Commodore 64, then Amiga, then on to PC Games.  Never was a console player.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

I recently upgraded to a i5-11600K and RTX3080ti

Nice mate, that will see you through for a long time :yep:

I see a 4090 in our local CEX going for £1000.

I recently upgraded my ram and bought an extra two 8gb 3200mhz sticks, making it now 32gb 3200mhz. Takes the edge off loading new locations.

It's mad how much ram programs and games will use when you give them more to play with lol

• Like 4

Mine is getting on a bit now, all I know it's a 7th gen i5 with 16gb and a 8gb 1070 of some description. Does me though, I only really play Skyrim (well not so much now) and still playing Total War Medieval 2. I really need to try the other Total War games I bought but I do really shit when I've tried so I gave up lol 

I'm just finishing my book on Atilla so I might try the Atilla one I bought years ago.

Thankfully my hard drive died a few years back so I had a SSD put in, that makes a world of difference. How thinkgs have changed since my first Commodore Vic 20 (with 2k of ram...no joke)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KC said:

Commodore Vic 20 (with 2k of ram...no joke)

Vic 20 had 5kb ram standard and you could add more. :yep: 

My pc is pretty old now, Asrock Z77 with an i7 3770k which I OC'd to 4.5ghz and it ran really well. Bought a cheap 'faulty' Zotac GTX 1080ti from that auction site, gave it a clean as it was fucking gross inside, replaced the thermal pads and re-pasted the gpu, works fine and quite chuffed that I didn't burn £120 on a paperweight. lol 

I don't use it for games, just for running Traktor and streaming music or games on Twitch, it has 32gb ram, 1tb SSD and 2 Elgato capture cards, one for the Poose4 and one for the Poose3. I don't use it for much else except a bit of video editing. 

Updated the bios recently and can't be fucked to OC it again. lol  

11 hours ago, MidgeSmith said:

I started with PC Game Robot Nim

Android Nim :yep: Do you remember Zork? 

• Like 4

Awesome.  Yeah I loved Skyrim, I will no doubt do a third playthrough one day.  Currently looking forward to Starfield and should have got Outer Worlds by now but haven't.

Talking about a 2K memory, I love talking about my first memory expansion for the Amiga, which was the size of a very large wedge of cheese and was only 500Kb.  Now the same space would probably fit half a petabyte.

@Saddam yeah, "It is pitch black, you are likely to be eaten by a grue." Surprisingly fiendish :unsure: and I am still scared of Grues!

@Military Grade I had to futureproof myself while I still have a business really, I will be moving out of self-employment as I am a crap business man and never really make enough dosh if it is up to myself to charge high prices.  I upgraded to 32GB myself and was surprised how much difference it made actually, but I do a lot of image manipulation and video work for the day job, so I suppose it makes sense!

• Like 5

Oh yes I forgot about the memory expansion on the A500, took out all the way to one megabyte:thumsup:

I even had a second floppy drive. 

• Like 4

I had the external drive too, one for the A500 and one for the ST, had quite a good little business selling copied games and blank disks at school. lol   I used to get dragged along to ham radio jamboree events with the old man but over the years the secondhand stalls were more electronics and computer based. I'd buy boxes of hundreds of used 3.5" floppy disks for about a fiver, take them home and format every fucking disk. If a disk didn't format, which was rare, it would get binned. All the rest I'd peel the labels off and clean the sticky residue off with white spirit, put on new labels and sell blank disks for £1 each or a disk crammed full of Amiga or ST games for a fiver. 

Honestly, I was fucking minted at school with pockets full of pound coins. I just lived on cream cakes from the canteen. lol  

Edited by Saddam
  • Like 5

So what's the $ for a solid pc I could play everything this days?

I got no cash just dreaming about a new one,still on ps4 from 2014 and it sounds like jet engine when I start a game lol

• Like 4

Depands if you're willing to buy from somewhere like Gumtree, There you can usually find a decent enough PC for £500-700 that will last you a few years easily then can upgrade bits when needed.

You also have sites that sell refurbished gaming pc with warranty for around the same prices as above.

If you want new scan dot co dot uk have some good bundles if you don't mind building it yourself

Lets not talk about GPU prices tho lol

Edit to add: Just had a look for my mate who lives the other side of the country to me and see for example a "Gaming pc i7 7700k Rtx 2070" going for £500 :yep:

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 3

Recently spent a small fortune building this beauty - no more upgrades for me for a very long time..! 

large.imgonline-com-ua-dexifczM7wfth9JY5-min.jpg

Intel i5 13600K

32GB DDR5 GSKILL 6800

Asrock Z790 Live Mixer

RTX 4080 Founders

2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2TB Samsung 980 Pro

Corsair 240mm AIO 

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Herbal Kint said:

it sounds like jet engine when I start a game lol

Take it to a garage or tyre fitters and ask to use their air-line and an air gun. Blow all the dust out of it going North, South, East and West with the nozzle of the air gun right up in the vent holes. (wear a mask because there can be a lot of dust) 

A better job is done if you remove the top, pull out the psu halfway and blow out all the fins of the heat sink, you can also get better access to the fan blades.  This is beyond most people's comfort zone. 

Should be quiet for a few months until you have to do it again. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Smokey McBongface said:

Recently spent a small fortune building this beauty - no more upgrades for me for a very long time..! 

large.imgonline-com-ua-dexifczM7wfth9JY5-min.jpg

Intel i5 13600K

32GB DDR5 GSKILL 6800

Asrock Z790 Live Mixer

RTX 4080 Founders

2TB Samsung 990 Pro

2TB Samsung 980 Pro

Corsair 240mm AIO 

That's the proverbial fucking mothership :)

Enjoy!  I am sure you do :)

• Like 6

My 11 year old is starting to hanker after a decent gaming pc - he's got the desk and the chair, but he now needs the shit to play games on lol It's all a bit beyond me really, I was always a console guy, but we'll get there.

• Like 5