Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

TEESSIDE GROWS

Air cooled hood help

Hello I'm slightly curious how the best way to set my air cooled hood up would be, i will be running 2x 600w hps bulbs on dimmable balasts.

CF>DUCT>HOOD>DUCT>HOOD>FAN>DUCT-OUT

With a separate fan on speed controller for my intake 

or

CF<FAN<DUCT<HOOD<DUCT<HOOD<DUCT OUT 

& run a separate fan and filter for my out take? Only problem with running it this way would be my intake for my hoods would have to come from the room the tents in, I could vent my exhaust fan out of the room but it won't really be possible to exhaust into the tent from outside the room, I could blow a oscillating fan over the CF which would be outside the tent blowing over my hoods ? 

If anyone can advise me on what would be best way to keep my tent temperatures down that would be great, I'm growing in a 1.2 x 2.4 x 2.0m tent 2x aircooled hoods 6" 150 x 600m CF 6" single speed fan and a 4" single speed Intake fan, both running on a temperature thermostat controller. 

I don't use air cooled but I see alot on here that it's better to blow through the hood instead of suck through it 

1 person likes this

The first set up mate. Fans work best pulling rather than pushing the air. 

1 person likes this

option 2 is what id do. if you are blowing thru the hoods the air pressure inside the hood is higher than outside the hood, so less chance of smell escaping. if you pull air through there is more chance of smell leaks. 

When I ran air cooled hoods, I used to run a separate fan, just for the hoods. Fan located outside the tent, drawing cool air, it then went fan-duct-hood-duct-hood-duct-outside

Then your filter will go filter-duct-fan-duct-outside. This will be better for your filter, with less restriction too.

That's what id do anyway, hope it helps

Edited by badbillybob
3 people like this

Thanks everyone who replied I've only just seen them, for some reason I'm not getting notifications and I'm pretty sure I pressed the notification tab :thumbdown: anyways thanks for the help but just my luck 2 completely different answers haha.

most people using air cooled hoods blow the air thru them, if it tips the balance.

they cant all be wrong

1 person likes this

I pull fwiw! filter-hood-duct-fan-duct-vent

Badbillybob is bang on the money.

Hoods should always be kept under positive pressure.

Anyway else is asking for trouble.

2 people like this

16 hours ago, Dodgee said:

Badbillybob is bang on the money.

Hoods should always be kept under positive pressure.

Anyway else is asking for trouble.

Eek - what kind of trouble should I be looking out for?

That does make sense, @badbillybob hadn't thought of it like that. Never had a problem myself running the other way but now I've got your understanding I would definitely use your method.

@iShouldCoCo the problem with how you've got it set up is that unfiltered air could be pulled through the hood and exhausted out bypassing the carbon filter.

3 people like this

yep, exactly this.

Most aircooled hoods are not 100% airtight, so smell could easily escape.

3 people like this

On 10/07/2019 at 11:55 PM, badbillybob said:

option 2 is what id do. if you are blowing thru the hoods the air pressure inside the hood is higher than outside the hood, so less chance of smell escaping. if you pull air through there is more chance of smell leaks. 

When I ran air cooled hoods, I used to run a separate fan, just for the hoods. Fan located outside the tent, drawing cool air, it then went fan-duct-hood-duct-hood-duct-outside

Then your filter will go filter-duct-fan-duct-outside. This will be better for your filter, with less restriction too.

That's what id do anyway, hope it helps

Right so if I ran it like that, would I need to get a new fan and filter? I only have a 6" 150x600 filter and fan, 6"hoods and a 4" fan and filter. When I bought them I wasn't planning on running air cooled hoods but seems easier in the long run to manage the temps so I decided to get the hoods. 

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, TEESSIDE GROWS said:

Right so if I ran it like that, would I need to get a new fan and filter? I only have a 6" 150x600 filter and fan, 6"hoods and a 4" fan and filter. When I bought them I wasn't planning on running air cooled hoods but seems easier in the long run to manage the temps so I decided to get the hoods. 

Or should I just ditch the air cooled and get some adjuster wing reflectors and hope the extraction and intake is enough to keep the temps down lol. The tent is in a room with a felt roof, so in the summer it can get quite warm.

11 minutes ago, TEESSIDE GROWS said:

Just the 1 new fan is needed. 

A low power 6 inch will be adequate for cooling your lamps in 6 inch hoods.

No need for filter as the air being pushed through is from outside the tent and because the whole light system is under positive pressure there's no chance of dragging in unfiltered air.

3 people like this

3 hours ago, Dodgee said:

Just the 1 new fan is needed. 

A low power 6 inch will be adequate for cooling your lamps in 6 inch hoods.

No need for filter as the air being pushed through is from outside the tent and because the whole light system is under positive pressure there's no chance of dragging in unfiltered air.

Right I get you I will get another fan ordered so will this mean I'm be running 3 fans including a intake or is that not needed ?