Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GrEeNConNi

First dwc prob

Hey guys, trying a dwc grow, but struggling getting it started, but sadly I not sure which one of my mistakes caused it. They're like 3 days old. The first leaves are whitened on the tips. My humidity was as low as 40% at one point, but the leaves seemed to whiten after I fixed it. I didnt ph the water and it was maybe 8, but I thought they didnt need ph'd water yet. I'm top feeding and no water in the bucket yet. I added like 10 droplets of root grow to a L of water non ph'd (bottle says 2ml per L, but looked like the droplets were tiny. I think It must have been less than 2ml). Temp, humidity and airflow are perfect. I'm worried I over watered, but the leaves didnt get heavy, they got white, so is it the ph? Also, I used aquarium glue inside and it kind if smells. Could that be it? 

large.20190708_170553.jpg

Pics will help. 

You can't overwater in dwc because the roots go straight into the water that's what the airstones are for to keep it oxygenated.

Did I read correctly that there's no water in your bucket?? With a seedling I'd advise raising the water level so it's into the bottom of the net pot let it lower as the plant grows.

1 person likes this

if your glue has set then put some water in your buckets so they are about 5mm from the bottom of your net pot turn and your air pump on and that should save you top feeding as soon as roots are out the bottom of the pot 

i always ph my water in dwc and ph of 8 wont help the plants at all m8 

work out how much water it takes to fill to the net pot and put a very light feed into the water and adjust ph to between 5.8 & 6.2 

you cant overwater with dwc but looking at the pic how many roots were through the cube when you took it out of the prop ?

if you have a dome you could put over it or even a 2 ltr plastic bottle bottom for a few days to keep the humidity up over your plant as its still a baby and doesnt need much food as such to start off life 

i read some other forums that said they dont add water because the roots dont reach yet, and that you need to top water? Also, mylar had fallen and was angled towards the plants. could it be from the heat? although temp and light distance are fine 

Really not sure with that mate still learning myself.

Smell of glue probably be some left over chemicals or something maybe but I'm guessing aquarium glue would be relatively safe to use. 

If it was me I'd pop another seed and start again after giving the bucket a good clean out.

1 person likes this

Just now, GrEeNConNi said:

i read some other forums that said they dont add water because the roots dont reach yet, and that you need to top water? Also, mylar had fallen and was angled towards the plants. could it be from the heat? although temp and light distance are fine 

If there's no water in the bucket mate the roots will dry pretty fast. I don't use a top feed myself I just put a layer of pebbles in the net pot fill with water until it's upto the pebbles and then just drop a rooted seedling straight on the pebbles and fill up the rest of the pot.

As to your ph I really can't comment I have no idea if that is a problem or not sorry lol

the water bubbling inside will hit the bottom of your net pot keeping the clay balls moist and getting the roots to go towards the moisture its also a lot easier taking a bit of water from the pot and pouring it straight through the stones  rather than mixing 1 litre at a time as its a tiny amount of feed to put in easy at least if your are making a 20l tank up you can measure 5ml  where as 1 ml is guesswork unless you have baby syringes etc 

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, doobie01 said:

the water bubbling inside will hit the bottom of your net pot keeping the clay balls moist and getting the roots to go towards the moisture its also a lot easier taking a bit of water from the pot and pouring it straight through the stones  rather than mixing 1 litre at a time as its a tiny amount of feed to put in easy at least if your are making a 20l tank up you can measure 5ml  where as 1 ml is guesswork unless you have baby syringes etc 

You can get disposable pipettes on auction sites very cheap.

1 person likes this