Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dirk_Diggler147

When to add Nutrients?

I was a bit keen when my plants were just past the seedling stage and added some nutrients to the system (using 4 pot wilma). EC was running about 2.5 and it resulted in some burn on the tips of the leaves.

With the help of some on here I think I have sorted that and the environment out and the EC is now 0.5. The plants seems ok and now and there are no more new brown tips.

Can anyone tell me what the signs are that the plants need nutrients? I am getting twitchy with the nut bottle but dont want to make them sick again.

Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Less is more with nutrients always. Signs would be to measure your solution what is being re circulated to see what the EC and PH is doing. Ideally you want to see the EC maintaining its level or dropping and the PH rising over time as this would indicate they require more food. Also, look for leaves going pale or any potential deficiencies forming like cal or mag. 

Increment at 0.1 or 0.2 EC when you do add more nutrients. Exceeding 0.8/0.9 EC in veg is not necessary.

Edited by InTheSystem
4 people like this

When your ec is dropping fast they need higher feeds. When it climbs fast they need weaker feeds. Same as when you started your bang on .. best I can explain it I'm afraid I wing it buddy.

1 person likes this

Thanks guys, it may sound stupid but it didnt realize that the EC and PH would change after you initially set it up.

Every day is a school day on here for me :D

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Dirk_Diggler147 said:

Thanks guys, it may sound stupid but it didnt realize that the EC and PH would change after you initially set it up.

Every day is a school day on here for me :D

Indeed Sir :) This is fundamentally the main advantage to growing in hydroponics or coco coir and measuring run off. You can dial in the plant according to it's needs and essentially yield more.

1 person likes this

I just tested the water again and PH is at 4.6 and EC is at 0.7.

So looks like the PH is falling, I added some more tap water to bring it up as I didnt think using PH - UP was a good idea. Is that right?

Thanks!

you need to recheck ph and raise up to the 5.8 to 6.2 range as 4.6 is way low for any feed to be taken up by the plants roots .

all the best with it mate :)

1 person likes this