Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mr. International

Best air conditioners to buy Help pls

23 posts in this topic

@GrowBot2000 ah that makes loads more sense lol 24c is perfect mate 

1 person likes this

You could probably find a way to hang a wall mount split AC.

I use a 3.5kw split for two 600w lights, one 400v Gavita SE, and a 600w remote ballast with a white adjust-awing and two hailea 150A chillers.

maintains a steady 25 even with ambient at 33 today its doing well. Not bad considering design ambient of this unit is likely 32c.

they are dead easy to fit and plug in a 13A socket, voila, ductless cooling.

2 people like this

Just to Add, go on appliances direct, they got some units for around 300 quid, copper included and refrigerant !

2 people like this

Hi @HVACman

Interesting. I looked at the DIY split systems when I got mine installed but in the end got a normal one fitted by a pro.

It says it's pre-gassed, I guess this means you don't need a manifold etc to charge it up. Presumably no soldering needed either ?

Is it possible to cut down the copper pipe ? or do you just end up with 5M of pipe you have to hide somewhere ?

2 people like this

On 30/06/2019 at 0:46 PM, GrowBot2000 said:

Hi @HVACman

Interesting. I looked at the DIY split systems when I got mine installed but in the end got a normal one fitted by a pro.

It says it's pre-gassed, I guess this means you don't need a manifold etc to charge it up. Presumably no soldering needed either ?

Is it possible to cut down the copper pipe ? or do you just end up with 5M of pipe you have to hide somewhere ?

Hello! Sorry for the delay, what with the heat I’ve been a little busy shall we say!!

Near on every unit sold contains gas, it’s the lines that are pre gassed with the DIY jobs. I would envisage the indoor unit is pre gassed too with shut off valves to open, otherwise, you would have the indoor unit coil full of air and mixing with refrigerant, non condensables means very high head pressure and moisture in the system, not good.

Yes this will mean you have a shitload of pipe to conceal/display and if you cut the lines, you will release refrigerant rendering the kit you bought useless to DIY and needing a pro to complete.

I personally would never commission ANY system without attaching a manifold and a Torr gauge for Vaccuuming.

1 person likes this

Also, props on choosing a pro to install, it’s going to last longer!

On 7/2/2019 at 11:44 AM, HVACman said:

Hello! Sorry for the delay, what with the heat I’ve been a little busy shall we say!!

Near on every unit sold contains gas, it’s the lines that are pre gassed with the DIY jobs. I would envisage the indoor unit is pre gassed too with shut off valves to open, otherwise, you would have the indoor unit coil full of air and mixing with refrigerant, non condensables means very high head pressure and moisture in the system, not good.

Yes this will mean you have a shitload of pipe to conceal/display and if you cut the lines, you will release refrigerant rendering the kit you bought useless to DIY and needing a pro to complete.

I personally would never commission ANY system without attaching a manifold and a Torr gauge for Vaccuuming.

Thanks, I was going to make a crack about 'Making Hay Whilst the Sun Shines' - couldn't be more relevant to a HVAC installer lol 

So for a DIY solution, try and route the 5M pipe sensibly, connect up and cross fingers there are no leaks.

If it all goes wrong, call in a HVAC guy - who will be soooo happy to take on someone else's job he'll give you a really good rate lol or chuck it in the bin.

If on a budget though, worth a go. Given the portable systems are nearly as expensive, and you will definitely be chucking it in the bin when you realise how crap it is lol

You know what the funniest thing is, when somebody plonks a portable in a room with no ducting attached. And then ask why it don’t work!

I have a favourite saying of “RTFM” Read The Fecking Manual.

Take it easy people.