Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mr. International

Best air conditioners to buy Help pls

23 posts in this topic

Im looking for an air conditioner for my grow room my tent is only 1.2m2, ambient room temps are already reaching 25c during the day and i will be adding a light soon so temp would probably hit 30c in flower if i dont do something 

Anyone use ac themselves ? Looking at units a while now thinking of something between 8000-14000 btu just asking for recommendation thanks 

1 person likes this

Been looking into AC myself quite a bit but if it is because you are struggling ducting outside then you will have the same problem with the ac unit as it will need to be ducted to external as well. 

If you can duct to external then might be better (cheaper) to get a better fan. Best ac if it is your own house would be a split system one with a unit that sits on the floor outside or mounted to the outside of the house, they sell self install pre gassed ones now where you just break the seal once you've attached all the pipework so you don't need a vacuum pump to purge it of air. You can get these for about 1200 quid, a decent portable is what, half of that but I don't know if they would be any good at properly cooling a room with hps.

How many watts are you using in that space? 

If you do end up getting one or if anyone on here has the portable one let us know how good they deal with groom heat

1 person likes this

Hi guys,

I'm using an AEG 9000BTU AC but just pulling in air to the tent from an adjacent room which  has the AC in it. working so far - my groom hit 34c so had to re-plumb.

2 people like this

Just done a search looks like a decent price and all. Where do you duct your a/c hose out of a window?

@coldroom 1200 quid :chains: I've been looking a this unit should be enough i hope lol £235 

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/sf8000e/amcor-sf8000e?refsource=apadwords&mkwid=sB52quzy5_dc&pcrid=330760708467&product=SF8000E&pgrid=65924952906&ptaid=pla-449392777175&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjMfoBRDDARIsAMUjNZoIGXBjO96Qs1MZRqmqIS-ndlMkMfVRvSxtpD0-39vbEI9XCc3ia_8aAnPBEALw_wcB

I can semi vent from the out side fans are not a problem as i've got a 6" fan with rhino filter it was a while i calculated it but after the filters put on it runs around 500-600cfms as i recalls ? but i can only suck the air from the window thats cracked open 1/4 way.

When im in flower i should be okay run lights from 1am-1pm as the temps dont get bad to the sun comes round. im just running leds atm for veg but will be either buying a DE 630w CDM unit or just running with my usual 400w hps + 250w of good leds 

Just now, Mr. International said:

@coldroom 1200 quid :chains: I've been looking a this unit should be enough i hope lol £235 

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/sf8000e/amcor-sf8000e?refsource=apadwords&mkwid=sB52quzy5_dc&pcrid=330760708467&product=SF8000E&pgrid=65924952906&ptaid=pla-449392777175&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjMfoBRDDARIsAMUjNZoIGXBjO96Qs1MZRqmqIS-ndlMkMfVRvSxtpD0-39vbEI9XCc3ia_8aAnPBEALw_wcB

I can semi vent from the out side fans are not a problem as i've got a 6" fan with rhino filter it was a while i calculated it but after the filters put on it runs around 500-600cfms as i recalls ? but i can only suck the air from the window thats cracked open 1/4 way.

When im in flower i should be okay run lights from 1am-1pm as the temps dont get bad to the sun comes round. im just running leds atm for veg but will be either buying a DE 630w CDM unit or just running with my usual 400w hps + 250w of good leds 

I have one of those, you have to vent to the outside with it. It cools down the room quickly. It's very noisy though, I think they all are.

Another option https://www.screwfix.com/p/blyss-wap-12ea26-mobile-evaporative-air-conditioner/462gp

I know overkill but just think ya could have it in ya bedroom an all. This muggy weather is minging haha. 

How big is the room that your cooling? I assume it will be room outside your tent. 

There is a BTU calculator, don't know if I can post external links: https://www.calculator.net/btu-calculator.html

@coldroom Will have it set up in the corner of my bedrooms been like that for years never had a problem in summer months with the leds alone but with the 630w cdm i'll defo need some cooling this summer. Winters are no problem i have to add extra lights i dont need sometimes 

@ananda whats the difference between the units ? didn't know i had to vent out side with them 

3 minutes ago, Mr. International said:

@ananda whats the difference between the units ? didn't know i had to vent out side with them 

I don't know, the one I linked to might be a bit quieter as it has more fan settings. However the noise is caused by more than the fan. If you don't vent outside then it's just recirculating the hot air.

1 person likes this

Hi,

I had a portable air con unit a few years ago and they are utter crap at cooling an actual room (as you have to get the hot air back outside somehow). But if it's just to connect to a tent, I would think it'd work fine.

You may even get away with a swamp cooler, which is cheaper than portable AC - and way cheaper electrically. They are around £80 I believe.

Can I ask, what's the worry about 42 Degrees ? I just checked and mine is 42 right now, and shows a max of 44

I had one of those Amcor air con units, ended up selling it because the hassle of all the noise it made, all the electric it used, the space it took up and the fact that it needing venting...plus we don't get that much hot weather here so just not worth it imo.

Oh, Forgot this

I upgraded my portable 10K BTU portable to a real (split) system - and the difference is like night and day (and way cheaper in electric, can be used to heat cheaply as well, plus no awful noise).

I have had mine about 7 years now in my Office, was a professional fit of a Daikin ATX25 (10,200 BTU), I think it was £1200 fitted. Works fantastic, though it's struggling today - possibly as it's never been serviced Lol.

@GrowBot2000 I should be okay with the unit im looking at my temps will only reach about 32-33  if i don't get one so its not much to cool. And to answer whats wrong with 44c i find bud that are exposed to temps that high in flowering are usually alot less in quality, airy and have a hell of alot less terpenes or just straight up dead and not growing lol 

44c ?!? how are your plants not extremely heat stressed man, ideal temp for plants are 18-27c 

@cypher79 I hope this isn't the case for me it seems like everyone is going way over kill here, all i need is my room to be 4-5c cooler for about 8 hours a day

if it costs £1200 to make a tiny grow tent a little cooler i think thats bollocks i could make a whole new grow room covering 5x5meters easily for that cash and have enough for a drink at the end of the day lol 

1 person likes this

Right yeah 44C, no that is really hot isn't it. 24C is what I meant which means there fine then - cheers !