Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JJJ

Ponytailing Autos

Hey folks,

I didn't fancy doing any LST but one of my plants looks to be out-growing the others and thought about trying some pony-tailing.  Has anyone ever pony-tailed an auto?  How did you go about it and what were the results?

Cheers

Well it basically is a version of LST isn't it?

Personally I think you get really good results from bending (what has become more well known as LST) and the plants bounce back so quickly that I wouldn't use any other method. 

I understand some are / have used pony tailing but the means have to justify the ends and bending / LST does exactly that IMO, especially with Autoflowers.

Ponytailing might be less of a risk as I have once or twice snapped a top off, but tbh that was actually me going to quickly or tying the top of the plant and yanking on the rope / tie rather than bending the stem carefully. But in general bending and tying down a top with an auto imo is the go to an best method of training an Autoflower for higher yields.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, GreenVision said:

Well it basically is a version of LST isn't it?

Personally I think you get really good results from bending (what has become more well known as LST) and the plants bounce back so quickly that I wouldn't use any other method. 

I understand some are / have used pony tailing but the means have to justify the ends and bending / LST does exactly that IMO, especially with Autoflowers.

Ponytailing might be less of a risk as I have once or twice snapped a top off, but tbh that was actually me going to quickly or tying the top of the plant and yanking on the rope / tie rather than bending the stem carefully. But in general bending and tying down a top with an auto imo is the go to an best method of training an Autoflower for higher yields.

Thanks Mate,

I've gone ahead, as per your advice and stuck with what I know.  Cheers pal. :yep:

Some LST

2 people like this

@JJJ That's the one mate.

Tuck the larger leaves under the side branches as you go  and I'd say your golden.

Funny enough I just bent over my Zkitzzo plants yesterday. You never get used to how it feels bending a main branch over, I still brick it every time, waiting to hear CRUNCH :eek: 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, GreenVision said:

Tuck the larger leaves under the side branches as you go  and I'd say your golden.

Funny enough I just bent over my Zkitzzo plants yesterday. You never get used to how it feels bending a main branch over, I still brick it every time, waiting to hear CRUNCH :eek: 

Yeah, I'm with you there - shits me right up every time.  They never seem to look like they can take it, do they?  I think that's about as far as I'd go though. :thumsup:

Edited by JJJ

I had to look up ponytailing. Interesting technique.

Looks less hassle than LST for similar results so might try it in I future run.

Maybe even worth a go as an alternative to topping regulars?

1 person likes this

Just now, Absurdist said:

I had to look up ponytailing. Interesting technique.

Looks less hassle than LST for similar results so might try it in I future run.

Maybe even worth a go as an alternative to topping regulars?

Yeah, came across it a while back and was interested in giving it a go.  Might try it on one of my other autos if necessary. :yep:

2 hours ago, GreenVision said:

I find some stems are nice and bendy while others have a tendency to snap, the ones that aren't so easy to bend I give a little pinch to these days, a bit like supercropping the main stem.

Safer than waiting for the dreaded "crunch" imo 

Either that or do it gradually over a couple of days

3 people like this

Just now, blackpoolbouncer said:

Either that or do it gradually over a couple of days

Over the years found myself doing this option mate. Tie it down wait 48 then push the stem with the one hand whilst carefully pulling on the tie with the other if I feel the stem is a bit dry or brittle. 

I never truly got the hang of super cropping if i'm honest, I get the concept, know the method, but I just wind up either crushing the thing to death or not doing it enough and having zero response. 

Again if I'm honest I hate doing it, I lost 2 of 8 GSC from Fast Buds a year or so back after snapping the top 3rd off, but as I'm sure you know mate its the bees knees of a method for Autos. At least with photos you can shrug your shoulders and just add 2 weeks to your veg period, with autos it all but fucking heart breaking.

2 people like this