Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
minigrower

Autoflower not auto flowering

21 posts in this topic

I have 1 heavyweight fast and vast.

I'm 8 weeks from germination and it's still growing and not flowering. It's in NFT and LED. I was on 18 hour schedule and last week I went to 12 hours to see if that'd start the change. I started mixing some Canna Flores into the mix a few weeks ago. Now just using Canna aqua Flores feed.

It's just vegging still and not flowering. Herbie's shop where I bought the seeds said I should be cutting down now. Any ideas? It's in a metal locker in my shed. So temps are a little lower than ideal. Around 18-23 degrees. And it had a colder start in life. But looks really healthy.

Posted (edited)

With no flowering at that age it's not an auto. You may have been sent the wrong seeds which is known to happen from time to time.  Try giving it uninterrupted darkness for 12 hours a day like you've been doing (no light leaks) and see what happens in a week or two.  If it is a regular then you'd still have at least 3 months to go.  Might be worth starting over.

Where did you source your seeds?

Edited by JJJ

I got the seeds from Herbies. I'd hate to start over, as it looks great. I've not done many grows, and this one looks the healthiest. 

But yeah there's no light leaks, on 12 hour timer, temps staying around 20 -25. Feeding canna aqua Flores. I'll see where it's at in a week or two then and decide.

Posted (edited)

Checked in Friday and it's starting to show signs of flowering now. Weird how long its taken. So chucked my light off 12hr and up to 20hr to see how it goes. Would having the feed too weak have this effect? The plant looked super healthy, just no flowers up until now. I upped the feed in an attempt to get it to go, but not sure if its co-incidence. But the EC lowers at a much higher rate between water changes now.

Edited by minigrower

No, it's not the food. Definitely the genetics. Trouble with autoflowers is that they are crossed ruderalis. So it's like a throw of the dice. Will your pheno express the autoflower or not? Will it be potent or weak as shit? This all depends on the strength of the breeding too, I'm sure. I've never grown any ruderalis hybrids but I'm getting some free in a couple of days with a seed purchase. They will be vegging alongside normal plants for 4 weeks, so I'll see if they express their ruderalis through autoflowering... most likely, they will be mids at best. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I’d leave it on a 12 hour cycle mate, because as above it doesn’t seem to be an auto and you risk making it a hermie.

Edited by MidlandGrow
2 people like this

2 hours ago, minigrower said:

Would having the feed too weak have this effect?

Nope, a plant will still flower without any feed; it will probably produce naff all and suffer horribly but it will still attempt to produce flowers.  There's no way it's an auto.  Resetting the lights to 20 hours now will make the plant revert back to veg.  As mentioned, this could hermie the plant and reset the flowering phase to day zero.  Best stick with 12/12 if it's working.

1 person likes this

are autoflowers good?

Personally, I don't see the point in it. It would take some serious breeding to develop a plant which only expresses the autoflower part of ruderalis. I've been away from the online scene for a few years but these autoflower bollockses (can't believe that's actually a word according to Grammarly, there are thick red lines under ruderalis and autoflower) are popping up all over the shop. They're all low to mid-grade and I haven't met a grower yet that doesn't flower them on 12/12. Why not just get a mother plant and flower a super strong strain after 2 weeks veg? Yes, this takes a separate area, but veg spaces don't need to be big. Keeping mother plants under 12" is fairly easy... although if in a bubbler you may find yourself throwing cuttings away.

20 minutes ago, Grubby_Pawn said:

Personally, I don't see the point in it. It would take some serious breeding to develop a plant which only expresses the autoflower part of ruderalis. I've been away from the online scene for a few years but these autoflower bollockses (can't believe that's actually a word according to Grammarly, there are thick red lines under ruderalis and autoflower) are popping up all over the shop. They're all low to mid-grade and I haven't met a grower yet that doesn't flower them on 12/12.

Strongly disagree.  Autoflowers have come a long way in the past 10 years.  The 5th generation autos I'm growing at the moment contain 0.8% Ruderalis, and while they may not be realistically comparable to their photoperiod counterparts, they can now equal them in potency.  As for the majority of growers flowering them on a 12/12 schedule - where did you get this info?  Have a read through practically any auto journal on the site and you'll learn that people are using 18/6, 20/4 or 24h.  Anyone who knows anything about autos knows that they need longer hours to reach their full potential.

Just now, JJJ said:

Strongly disagree.  Autoflowers have come a long way in the past 10 years.  The 5th generation autos I'm growing at the moment contain 0.8% Ruderalis, and while they may not be realistically comparable to their photoperiod counterparts, they can now equal them in potency.  As for the majority of growers flowering them on a 12/12 schedule - where did you get this info?  Have a read through practically any auto journal on the site and you'll learn that people are using 18/6, 20/4 or 24h.  Anyone who knows anything about autos knows that they need longer hours to reach their full potential.

Yes, I know that they need longer hours to achieve their potential, I just haven't seen that with the growers I know on a personal level. They flower on 12/12 despite telling them they should be able to flower on 24/0. Is there a marked increase in yield comparable to the cost in electricity? If they are merely comparable in potency yet do not match their photoperiod counterparts, I'm assuming you mean that autos lack in yield even on 24/0?

If your plants only contain 0.8% ruderalis, then why aren't they realistically comparable to their photoperiod counterparts? I'm reading some cup winners with THC as high as 20% have 30% ruderalis genes. How do you get to 0.8 after 5 gens? is this just guesswork on your part?

I'm actually looking forward to growing these seeds

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

5 minutes ago, Grubby_Pawn said:

Yes, I know that they need longer hours to achieve their potential, I just haven't seen that with the growers I know on a personal level. They flower on 12/12 despite telling them they should be able to flower on 24/0. Is there a marked increase in yield comparable to the cost in electricity? If they are merely comparable in potency yet do not match their photoperiod counterparts, I'm assuming you mean that autos lack in yield even on 24/0?

If your plants only contain 0.8% ruderalis, then why aren't they realistically comparable to their photoperiod counterparts? I'm reading some cup winners with THC as high as 20% have 30% ruderalis genes. How do you get to 0.8 after 5 gens? is this just guesswork on your part?

I'm actually looking forward to growing these seeds

The strain is Sweet Gelato Auto by Sweet Seeds and so far it's a lovely strain to grow.  I'm only 4-5 weeks in but I can already tell they're going to be good.  Brand new strain so there's only really current grow journals to go by but everyone seems very happy with them so far.

Yield wise, yes, autos are generally small plants but it's not always the case.  With the correct care, attention, feeding, lighting etc etc. they can produce serious  amounts in quite a short space of time.

For this reason they suit people like myself who have a narrower window of time in which to grow.  Check out my latest journal if you're interested in the strain.

Edited by JJJ
2 people like this

I'm not much of a strain guy as I prefer types. Is it indica dom, sativa dom, or something in between is usually all I need to know. I spent many years growing clone-only strains. I need only the best and so far the ruderalis hybrids I've had the pleasure of smoking haven't lived up to my high standards. I would honestly love to be proven wrong... although it would be hard for me to break from what I know so well, I'd certainly consider growing a few here and there.

I have some autoflower freebies coming with some kush seeds I've ordered in a couple of days. Orange Punch and Skittles. I'm pretty sure I've smoked the skittles one off somebody else and I didn't think much of it in comparison. I've been a hardcore smoker (day and night) for 30 years. I used to be a dealer until I started growing my own back in 05. 

1 person likes this

Well, each to their own.  If that's your thing then no need to change.  I was just highlighting the fact that genetics are changing.  Good luck with your endeavours anyway. Peace :smokin:

2 people like this

That's why I posted what I did. I was hoping a guy like you would come along and tell me I'm wrong... but, when I think back, people used to say the same thing to me about Lowryder when they first came out. I was always one of the skeptics and I clearly still am. I look forward to the day I have to eat my words. Hopefully, that day comes after growing out these freebies. Good luck with your grow and your life.

All the best,

1 person likes this