Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jimmeh

Planning kit purchases for environment control

44 posts in this topic

I use the small single bed electric blanket from argos  for £12.50 :yes:

gallery_36349_2174_210114.jpg

gallery_36349_2174_50846.jpg

3 people like this

19 hours ago, Ppp said:

Sounds a similar setup to mine, same tent as well, its very well built so good choice! Photos of it in my grow diary.

I'm using a 4 inch black orchid fan but its quite poor, not great extraction and noisy so stay away from that!

I'm using a Viparspectra 450w led again see my grow thread.

Happy enough with my results from it!

The @diyledukones look superb though, from the amount of people on here using them shows they must be good. Something I'll be looking to upgrade to in the future as well!

(emphasis mine)

Yay! Good to hear something positive about the choice of tent - gives me some confidence. I'm going to push the button on ordering it tonight.

Hey - also a BIG THANKS for the word of warning on that Black Orchid fan btw, I was seriously considering getting it before I posted this thread, it was basically my fall-back option in case nobody had a better idea so now I know to knock it off the list - thanksthanksthanks.

Ok, I just need to find the above mentioned RVK A1 at a decent price now then.

19 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

I use the small single bed electric blanket from argos  for £12.50 :yes:

gallery_36349_2174_210114.jpg

gallery_36349_2174_50846.jpg

Ok, first off - I f/king LOVE the avatar. Booyah. But it does kind of freak me out.

Second, nice shout on that blanket - I've got an argos near me (in a Sainsbury's where I usually do me weekly shop) so I can pick one up at my leisure.

That sounds like a great plan.

I take it Mr Pres that the blanket you mention doesn't have a thermostat where I can set a specific temp (like say, 23 degrees, or 25 degrees, etc..).

Even if not I still like it.

Ok, so given the recommendations & advice so far, it seems my climate control will be in 2 stages;

A-COOLING] A thermostat fan-speed controller, set to kick in at max on or near the uppermost heat limit the plants can bear - this will be measuring air-temps since it is a fan controller.

B-HEATING] A thermostat relay (similar to the Inkbird unit mentioned above - these things are beloved by home-brewers and those guys are really precious about their temps!) - where the temp probe is placed direct into the soil and connected to an electric blanket or heat-pad, set to about the middle of the sweet-spot in root temps.

The idea being that the fan only boots it to high speed when temps are threatening to get seriously high, but the heating is more generous, never letting the rootballs get too chilly.

Sound reasonable to everyone?

1 person likes this

Not a problem at all, tent is defo a good choice no complaints with mines at all, compared to others the build quality is nuch better. Being very picky here but the zip is quite noisey on the tent (probs just me being paranoid!) but apart from that its ace! 

Yeah i wouldnt bother with the fan, defo better out there! Its the one bit of my setup that lets it down so hopefully upgrade time after this grow!

good luck with the grow anyway mate!

the single electric blanket has three settings & no thermostat but its enough heat from it in the spring & autumn, when it gets colder I add a tube heater

& have that sitting in amongst the plant pots, you've got to keep the temps up above 20c otherwise it leads to problems.

1 person likes this

Hi Jh.

What setting do you run this at.?

70W is cheap to help keep them boots warm.

Im looking at running a gavita led soon but worried with extraction things could get a bit cool.

I used to use a 4" RVK rated at 184m3h and to be honest, it struggled to keep the temps down and negative pressure was barely noticeable.  I'm in the same sized tent by the way.  Go for the 5".  And don't do what I did and use one of those cheap £10 Varispeed fan controllers - almost burned my house down.

1 person likes this

@icki   the EB is only turned on depending on outside temps, bearing in mind I run my lights during the night so I usually bang it onto setting 2 then 3 in the winter

as well as the 2ft 120w tube, i use a HD timer with the tube heater & have it come on half an hour before lights off & turn it off 15 mins after lights on time & in a cold winter,

both the EB & TH are on full blast.

here's my diy stable base for the TH, now its nearly untipable

post-36349-0-16274700-1317883458_thumb.jpgpost-36349-0-85773700-1322259498_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

14 hours ago, Joint hogger said:

the single electric blanket has three settings & no thermostat but its enough heat from it in the spring & autumn, when it gets colder I add a tube heater

& have that sitting in amongst the plant pots, you've got to keep the temps up above 20c otherwise it leads to problems.

Interesting little blanket this.  Can I ask, do you put your pots directly on top of this or do you use some kind of protective cover between the blanket and the pots?  I'd be concerned about moisture seeping into it.

23 hours ago, JJJ said:

I used to use a 4" RVK rated at 184m3h and to be honest, it struggled to keep the temps down and negative pressure was barely noticeable.  I'm in the same sized tent by the way.  Go for the 5".  And don't do what I did and use one of those cheap £10 Varispeed fan controllers - almost burned my house down.

Interesting - I was pretty set after the advice earlier to go no lower than 5", and this is another voice in favour of that option - especially useful to know that you ran the same 70x70x160 B-O tent and had issues specifically with neg-pressure (I still don't think my el-cheapo LED unit it going to set the world on fire - pardon the choice of words - with high temps.

Ayes, a while ago when I was playing with the idea I was going to go with a cheap varispeed fan controller, but more reading and understanding has definately pushed me toward a thermostat controlled unit, I'm just debating interally now which unit to go for, as all the other components in my wish list are creeping up in price! :unsure:

9 hours ago, JJJ said:

Interesting little blanket this.  Can I ask, do you put your pots directly on top of this or do you use some kind of protective cover between the blanket and the pots?  I'd be concerned about moisture seeping into it.

Yeah I also wondered that - I'm (very tentatively!) guessing our that Hogger uses spill-trays to sit his pots in to prevent any moisture-leakage from the drain holes in his pots to the blanket, with the spill-trays sat directly on the blanket but as I say, just a guess based on what I would do. 

By the comment "based on outside temps", it makes me think El-Pres doesn't have them turn on via a thermostat - this then implies that on the settings he mentions it is unlikely to run away up to silly temps & cook his roots if left unattended...

Leaving lights on at nights (plus his sig links) imply that the lights generate some decent heat to get through those cold nights whereas my grow will be based on LED so night heating is a must at certain times of year...

Again, this is all supposition though based on the short quote & I don't know s**t for sure about another guy's process!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

47 minutes ago, Jimmeh said:

whereas my grow will be based on LED so night heating is a must at certain times of year...

To give you an idea, I ran a 200W LED in a 70/70/160 tent and temps rose by 7 or 8C.  With a 600 which probably draws around two hundred and something, you could be looking at a potential 10C rise in temp.

Edited by JJJ
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

54 minutes ago, JJJ said:

To give you an idea, I ran a 200W LED in a 70/70/160 tent and temps rose by 7 or 8C.  With a 600 which probably draws around two hundred and something, you could be looking at a potential 10C rise in temp.

Cool - or more accurately, warm...

While I'm putting my shopping list together my concerns have actually been more about mitigating cold temps, rather than a fear of warm temps (apart from the possibility of cooking my roots if I'm too gung-ho with heat-mats), I rather think I would quite appreciate a 10c increase in temps from the lights, so as to make it warmer at night - obviously time will tell if I've got that arse about face! :P

*edit* ETA - my dinafem package arrived today (yippee), so now I've got quite a selection of auto strains to choose from... Going to put my next component order in tomorrow for next-day delivery (nobody at home Thurs so I need Friday delivery) and I'm picking up my compost Saturday - and I got given a pair of heated propagators today too..

Aiming to germinate over the weekend, spend next week in the prop & be tented up by the following weekend - things are moving along nicely! 

Edited by Jimmeh
2 people like this

On 28/05/2019 at 7:58 PM, JJJ said:

What's the best fan controller for cheap then mate that I don't have to wire . Was looking at a varispeed

2 people like this

Just now, Jack? said:

What's the best fan controller for cheap then mate that I don't have to wire . Was looking at a varispeed

Sorry mate, I'm afraid I'm the wrong person to ask.  I'm not accustomed to using fan controllers.  Just using a twin speed fan at the moment but I hope someone else can advise you on this one. :hippy:

On 5/29/2019 at 8:23 PM, JJJ said:

Just thought it was worth coming back on this comment for anyone else who comes along this thread - those unlucky few who have seen my diary will know I was struggling somewhat with outhouse temps while trying to germ my seeds in the tent (even with a small 8w cheap heated prop) - but since the first one sprouted & the light has gone on 24/0, I have seen a comfortable increase in temps as predicted - even though its *just* a small kingbo unit. 

Dunno if it's a straight 10 deg, but I'm now seeing midnight temps of 25 degrees with the heated prop & argos leccy blanket hidden under the tent's undertray... And the thermostat is able to click on/off to maintain it, it isn't having to be on constantly... Nice one! 

1 person likes this

On 02/06/2019 at 8:11 PM, Jack? said:

I'd like to know this as well

@Jack? have you had any luck getting one yet mate