Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hir

Grenfell: Did the Fire Brigade Fail? - Channel 4 Dispatches 8pm

I know, let's blame the fire brigade for contractors using cheap sub standard materials.

(whilst we are on about inquires what happened to that pedophile inquiry, not a trace)

Edited by Hir
1 person likes this

The fire brigade told people to remain inside a burning tower block with only one staircase, I still fail to see why that was such a good idea.

1 person likes this

If first grade materials had been used it was the best advice as it spreading from flat to flat would not have happened.

Well they should have based their advice on the situation they saw developing before them i.e. it was actually spreading faster than anticipated.  Whatever, no point nitpicking when we haven't even watched it yet.

Fire protection was not up to scratch stair well should have 1h 30 mins protection 

fire portection since then has gone nuts  

I’m looking forward to hearing the ‘experts’  giving their opinion 2 years after the incident. 

1 hour ago, Sasquatch said:

The fire brigade told people to remain inside a burning tower block with only one staircase, I still fail to see why that was such a good idea.

My last gaff was in high rise flats - this was sign posted everywhere, in a fire, stay in your flat, safest place to be etc.  Unfortunately this is just another case where profit margins were put ahead of people's safety, and those poor guys who died in the flats paid the bill.

Can still remember seeing the footage on tv with those trapped inside, horrible sight :(

Not even getting started on the bullshit they pulled after covering up the head count

Edited by unity
spelling

I seen the aftermath of a major fire in a old unimproved 1960s tower block. It had incinerated everything burned out the windows the lot, didn’t spread though. Was probably pretty hot in the flat above but in a concrete shell there’s nowhere for it to go. Whoever’s idea it was to wrap those buildings in flammable insulation is stupid at best.

4 people like this

The fire brigade had no idea what they were dealing with, they went with the usual advice in high rise fires. Bigger question is who thought it was wise to spend millions on flammable insulation on this one particular block of flats. Can't even imagine being inside when it went up. I hate towerblocks, they give me the shits. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Rufas said:

Fire protection was not up to scratch stair well should have 1h 30 mins protection 

fire portection since then has gone nuts  

I don’t think it’s gone that nuts, similar cladding is still on tower blocks as far as I’m aware? although I could be wrong. Surely the first thing you’d do is remove the lot.... unless you didn’t give a fuck about people.... and cared more about costs. (Not you personally Rufas)

2 people like this

When they were built, 'stay put' was the right advice, then they wrapped them in firelighters so the same rules don't apply, shame no-one told the residents...

Coincidentally they removed cladding from blocks in Portsmouth after Grenfell and now they have to be demolished,

write offs, too expensive to repair...maybe the cladding was holding them up...:wassnnme:

1 person likes this

And why did they have that cladding? Because the despicable Tories didn't want the rich people looking at the scruffy block of flats. So they cladded it with highly flammable materials.

F*cking parasites.

2 people like this

Just now, New Breed said:

And why did they have that cladding? Because the despicable Tories didn't want the rich people looking at the scruffy block of flats. So they cladded it with highly flammable materials.

F*cking parasites.

Not totally, it stems from the better homes policy - not sure if it’s a Tory or new labour or Eu policy, forces insulation targets on local authorities that are unrealistic and lead to lots of desperately needed flats being demolished, the same policy wastes millions maybe billions putting in new kitchens, boilers ect ect lot of the time not strictly speaking needed.

@nl5

How dare you use logic and knowledge whilst I'm bashing the Tories. :george:

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, Jimmy Lovemore said:

I don’t think it’s gone that nuts, similar cladding is still on tower blocks as far as I’m aware? although I could be wrong. Surely the first thing you’d do is remove the lot.... unless you didn’t give a fuck about people.... and cared more about costs. (Not you personally Rufas)

I am talking more about the fire barriers/fire  line compartment-ion/ for each flat /Stair well / corridor fire doors/ Smoke seals in doors

i know the cladding is still on buildings in the east mids  

they have fitted sprinkler systems instead of change if the cladding 

just done fire protection on some flats the buildings inspectors have made us fire protect things that don’t need doing  as they are shit scared it going to come back on them 

2 people like this