Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ranec

GT205 temp / oxygenation queries

Evening all,

I'm in the final stages of planning my grow but still have a few questions regarding setting up the nft.

I'm thinking of using rockwool cubes on a Gro-Tank GT205 nft tray. I've read on here that although it says it has a 20 little resivor most folk only put in 15/16 litres. Depending on how much the ladies drink I may hook up an auto-refill system from an external resivor but we'll see.

Question is would a 50w fishtank heater be enough to keep the water temp at 18-20c?.
Although the tent will be set up in the loft I plan to insulate it with bubble wrap or alike and have warm air drawn in from within the house so the air temp shouldn't be too much of an issue (I hope).

Also would I need an additional air pump and golf ball stone to maintain oxygenation?. Would a 3.2 litre/min pump be upto the job?.

Thanks in advance for any comments or recommendations

Hi the 50w heater will be fine in that reservoir as for the air stone not really necessary but if you’ve already got one sling it in. An auto top float valve is a great idea, NUT GT systems have a little dimple on the side to indicate where to drill and position it 

1 person likes this

Hi mate In the colder months I use a fish tank Heater to warm the water...I normally change the water in the plants night period with pen torch in my gob so not to disturb the plants.

What you have to remember is your light will warm the water up when it's circulating until you get a big canopy the light can't penetrate...growing in lofts gets cold if not insulated enough...if you growing indicas with dense nugs then you'll have to watch the plants night time temp drop...when the lights go off and the temp is dropping because the buds sweat in the middle and before you know it you have bud rot...if you're growing sativas it not so bad 

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, bagsmore said:

NUT GT systems have a little dimple on the side to indicate where to drill and position it 

That's handy to know, thanks bagsmore :yep:

@hydrohippy man thanks for the heads up - I'm planning to use led's so hopefully the lights on/off temp swing shouldn't be too big...

1 person likes this

I would think you will have to add a heater...leds don't give off enough heat. You need some kind of temp as your trichome production won't be so great so I've read!!!

That's one reason I haven't changed to led...I'm in an attic too but last summer I insulated it with this stuff called Eco Quilt. Google it or look on you tube...I wasn't sure how good it would be but fuck me now the cold has hit its 1c outside and now 15c in the loft instead matching outdoor temps...I run my lights at night and I have 3x 600wt lights running and I've had more frost on my roof than the house attached to me...so I'm one happy bunny lol

1 person likes this

@hydrohippy man my lofts fairly well insulated (house is a constant 21c and the loft was ranging between 4-6c last time I checked) but I'll deffo have a look at the eco-quilt when it comes to making a thermal jacket for my tent :yep:

Hiya buddy you started up yet? 

I use the 205s. Always add a small air stone for 1 reason and it's not the extra air. Put it at the oposite end from the pump and the roots won't grow all the way up the tank and block the pump.

Top up res is a good idea. Even autos get enormous in this system, had a few drink 15L a day. Any more and the pump would've blown. 

Make sure you clean the rock wools properly before use too. Otherwise you'll get a ph spike and stunt them for a fortnight. 

1 person likes this

Thanks for the top tips @Captain buckfast :yep:

Planning and funds for my debut grow are all sorted, just waiting on a sparky mate of mine to hook me up with power in the loft and I'll be good to grow :D

@Ranec I hope you put a diary up, would love to see how you get on.

Toke...

@tokenroll it's on the 'to do' list :yes:

1 person likes this

Happy days man. It's an addictive wee hobby like. Nft is a real easy way to grow. You got ph and ppm meters? Not an absolute nessesity but will make your life a whole lot easier. Just follow the numbers on the sticks and not much can go wrong. Ppm goes up you add more water. If it drops you add more nutes. Keep It steady and you'll never get any issues. Oh you got something to keep the res clean too? Sm90, hydroguard or something similar is needed to stop nasty shit growing in the res. If you need any help with it give me a tag mate. Been using them for a few years now n got it down to a t.