Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Lancaster8

Novice DWC bubbler question

Hi everyone!

This will be a very easy question for someone to help me with.  Back in 2010 when I first started growing, I bought a single DWC bubbler kit.  I never used it, and stuffed it in the loft, before proceeding with soil grows.  I have just retrieved it out of the loft and have decided to try it out for the first time. In theory, it looks more straightforward than soil, but I am just waiting in anticipation for the usual unforeseen problems that generally arise no matter which way we turn! :ermm:

I haven't a clue what the vertical pipe is for at the bottom/side. I just assumed it was to display the water level?  - Can you please tell me exactly what this is for?   Then, I have noticed that the joint is leaking and making a lake underneath the bucket.   

Does anyone know what those connectors are called and where they come from? - ( if something important.)  If this leak gets worse I might need to replace and/or start again with a new container.

My first general thought is that if I continue to pursue this type of growing, I think I will need to make my own containers, as the round ones take up so much space. I am thinking about getting some opaque rectangular "really useful boxes" in the size that suits my space.  I know that the

black ones are UV resistant so should stand up to the light without decomposing. 

Cheers!

Might need some more info , is it a singular bucket without a brain ? Or is it a whole system ? Do you know which company made it ? Just there is a few variations of design although they all bubble etc :oldtoker:

1 person likes this

Hi, It is a single round black bucket which is about 14" high. It was an ebay purchase at around 20 quid or so. It came with the net basket, a few clay pebbles, a 4" polo airstone and a usual fish tank pump. Have no idea about its maker as it was bought 9 years ago.  I have seen similar buckets for sale in my nearest hydro shop for people to take away and make their own.  It seems pretty standard and they are still being sold on ebay at around the 20-25 pound mark. 

21 minutes ago, Lancaster8 said:

I haven't a clue what the vertical pipe is for at the bottom/side.

Probably helps to drain the bucket,does the pipe and connection swivel? If so,when turned 90 or 180 degrees,it will drain.

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, ursus1000 said:

Probably helps to drain the bucket,does the pipe and connection swivel? If so,when turned 90 or 180 degrees,it will drain.

Yes, it does work well for draining - but also leaks!  I wondered if it was for draining, along with showing the water level.  Perhaps the rubber has deteriorated after being in my hot loft for such a long time. I wonder what this fitting is called and where they come from? I haven't been able to figure it out by looking on ebay - but often with ebay, you need to know what things are called to find the right item.

Try looking for hydroponic fittings,google throws up lots,try progrow

1 person likes this

11 minutes ago, ursus1000 said:

Try looking for hydroponic fittings,google throws up lots,try progrow

Yes Progrow has exactly the right fittings. Cheers for the heads up!  :)

1 person likes this

No problem mate. I imagine they will be 13mm, 0.5 inch diameter. some fittings may be 16mm tho.

1 person likes this

Dwc is very good I used to do soil but this is like growing trees, very fat stem and loads of yield, your tube is a water indicator, your better off buying new buckets with lids put your mesh in the lid drill or make a hole in your lid for the air stone, or use a v30 pump for a few pots or a v60 for approximately 10 or less pots, the single buckets made just leak and a rdwc system is pants because they block up then overflow with everything 

Posted (edited)

I have been growing DWC for years, so hopefully this is of some help! The vertical pipe is indeed a water level indicator, but also used as a drain tube for taking water samples to measure EC/PH or changing the reservoir. When your plants are in flower or under a SCROG trellising, you can't simply move the plant around if there is a need to drain and change the res - so it's handy. On my DWC buckets it is 16mm hole for the top grommet and elbow fitting.. Of course it will be subjective to your bucket, either way - grow shops and ebay will sell them.

With the containers, the bigger the better really when the water is being aerated and absorbed by the plant/s so much. For instance if the water volume is too low, you will find you will need to top up or res change every day and you will have the PH Swinging aggressively always.. Minor PH Swings are what you want - but not major ones 3 or 4 times a day adjusting to keep in the ideal ranges. I have found you want at least 12-16 litres of water for a single container to combat this. So maybe something to bear in mind if you are making DIY reservoirs. Plants grow so big on DWC though, so you can reduce the plant count and give them the space.

Edited by InTheSystem
2 people like this

I grow in a DIY DWC made from a 25ltr picnic cooler box, I installed the water level/drain pipe using a grommet, elbow and clear pipe.

It's a single plant grow with a 4" mesh pot/pebbles, 2 x eheim 400 pumps and two or four golfball airstones, two pumps in case one fails...

Perfectly insulated res for summer and winter, aquarium heater set to 20c keeps temps within a degree or so. I also filled the lid with expanding foam to insulate and strengthen.

It's certainly the right shape and mine measures roughly 10" deep, 15" wide, 12" high...the height is a bit of a pain but otherwise it's produced well...

:oldtoker:

2 people like this