Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

samokybacon

Are EC and RES temps connected

Hi all,, a couple of quick questions for you?

1, Does your EC have an effect on the temp of you res water? What i mean by this is, does the water in your res warm quicker/easier if the EC in your water is higher?

2, What temp is ideal for a res?

Ive modded my wilma so the roots dont go into the res in the thought that i may be able to get away with slightly higher res temps if the roots are in it. Lights off im at 19c and lights on it climbs upto 22c. Ive tried everything to bring res temps down and really dont wanna have to buy a chiller.

Thanks in advance...

the ec in the res has no bearing on the res temperature.

best temp for your res is 18/19 degrees. 

I would buy a chiller. I have previously tried everything else to lower temps and the only thing that actually works, is a chiller, and they are not that expensive, compared to wasted leccy on a ruined crop.

1 person likes this

Thanks @badbillybob!

I had hoped by this point in the year outside temps would have dropped enuf not to have to worrie about a chiller (my intake is direct from outside and blows directly onto the res) but with this mild weather i'm loosing the war against the temps in a big way! Res hit 23 yesterday! :wallbash: 

In the past ive managed to keep it at a max of 21c but this time around its got a mind of its own! If i can keep it under 22c would that be ok? or is it still way to near to the danger zone!?!? I had root rot last time around and know what a bastard it can be. Im useing silver bullet this time and have kept my roots outta the res in the hope that this would afford me a few more degrees,, would that be correct? or is it just wishful thinking?

Do you have any recommendations for a chiller? Im guessing its gunna mean more modding the wilma,,?,, at this stage in the game im abit worried about that as im 8 weeks in and 3rd week into flower.

22 is ok but no more. When I worked in my mates shop we were told that ph meters were tested at 22 degrees

Ive had res temps higher than that when I grew with reservoirs and never had any probs but the higher the temps the less dissolved oxygen

Owd

2 people like this

if your roots are not in direct contact with the water at 22 degrees you "should" be ok.

Note I said "should". The silver bullet will just delay the inevitable if your temps are high.

You would still be better off with a chiller, 22 is on the verge of root rot territory.

You would need a small pump in your res to pump nutes to the chiller.i use a 500l/min one, and the return comes from the chiller, no pump for the return. I use hailea HC series chillers, and they can be sized from your total water capacity, so if your res holds say 80-100 litres, get the HC100, if its 150 litres get a hc 150, and so on.

I miss understood your first post, I thought you had modded your Wilma so the roots were dangling into the res. 

A lot of people do this (modify their wilmas by cutting a hole below the pots, so the roots grow into the res) and have it as a combined dripper/ rdwc type system.

You might get away with it using the silver bullet,, but...…….. are you a gambling man?

1 person likes this

Thanks @badbillybob,, most helpful! 

Im in a "small" wilma and i'm beginning to think thats where some of my res temp issues lie as its only a 30ltr res max and gets depleted real quick, especially at the mo. (just finished 3rd week from flip) 

I have also modified it so there is a 5th central pot and have made dripper rings to replace the stakes + this time around ive gone with the bigger 11ltr pots putting even more demand on what is a tiny res. 

I did the mod you mention my last time around with the extra holes but found the res nearly completely filled with roots and it was impossible to get in there clean the res. This lead to neut issues as it crystallised in the res corners,, also maintaining water oxygenation was a bastard cos the pump was being smothered by roots. 

Anyways,,,,,, Just checked the last 24hrs temps and the res maxed out at 22.3c,,, right on the danger line eh! 

I guess your right,, do i feel lucky!?!?! :skin_up:

Edited by samokybacon
1 person likes this

@Owderb thanks for the reply mate,, most appreciated!  

Im currently wondering weather i could freeze up some large "nuet ice cubes" and pop one in each evening before bed for a slow release of chilled solution over there last 5 hrs or so of lights on.

Would the nutrient composition be effected on freezing?

Im less than a degree off eh,, and I aint got the pennys to be forking out £250 for a chiller three weeks before crimbo eh! 

Dont want the grow to go sideways as the original glue in there are looking tasty as fook already but know my luck will only stretch so far!  

1 hour ago, samokybacon said:

ice cubes"

I freeze plastic water bottles and drop those in the res, doesn't last very long but drags the temps out of the danger zone for a while.

1 person likes this

On 03/12/2018 at 3:42 PM, badbillybob said:

the ec in the res has no bearing on the res temperature.

best temp for your res is 18/19 degrees. 

I would buy a chiller. I have previously tried everything else to lower temps and the only thing that actually works, is a chiller, and they are not that expensive, compared to wasted leccy on a ruined crop.

This is the most sensible thing I’ve read today. 

I wont even bother now without a chiller, to the point I got one for each room. 

1 person likes this