Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

inc3pti0n

New grower here - Lighting recommendations

16 posts in this topic

Hello, my seedlings are about to hit the stage of needing a proper light, what is best to use on a budget and any links, names of products etc ANYTHING would be massively appreciated.

My mate suggested a spot light and override the sensor lmao lollollol but idk maybe it would work but possible too hot. 400W

Hi mate the guys on here will help you out with many different suggestions but it all depends on the size of your space you are growing in, what type of extraction you will be using and your budget.

i would recommend you tell us these details 1st before anyone can advise you:yep:

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Stonedjones said:

Hi mate the guys on here will help you out with many different suggestions but it all depends on the size of your space you are growing in, what type of extraction you will be using and your budget.

i would recommend you tell us these details 1st before anyone can advise you:yep:

My space can fit x12 5cm pots in MAX maybe less, its the corner of a room in a tent.

my set up is 2 pots/plants in a grow tent a general DIY one.

My budget can stretch to around £20-£100. But as cheap as possible the better really.

Hope this is the info required.

What is the size of your tent buddy. Also what size is your extractor fan. I started with a hps as they are tried and tested. I will move onto something else after I feel confident using it. 

I have a 1.2m x 1.2m tent and I have ran a 600w hps comfortably and I’ve had a 315w cmh and an hps running at 400w 715w total in that tent without problems but I have a 6” extraction fan to control temps.

hps light kits are tried and tested and can be picked up for less than your budget but I wouldn’t scrape on your extraction and the bigger the better with a fan controller to turn it down. Pair this with a decent filter for smells as not doing this can get you caught.

1 person likes this

19 hours ago, The Padawan said:

What is the size of your tent buddy. Also what size is your extractor fan. I started with a hps as they are tried and tested. I will move onto something else after I feel confident using it. 

Its just a basic plug in fan but it works my mates grow was amazing he had 4, 1 in each corner of a full room. I only need the 1, my tent is 6ft tall 3ft across. 

Im on a budget so need something effective and cheap.

18 hours ago, Stonedjones said:

I have a 1.2m x 1.2m tent and I have ran a 600w hps comfortably and I’ve had a 315w cmh and an hps running at 400w 715w total in that tent without problems but I have a 6” extraction fan to control temps.

hps light kits are tried and tested and can be picked up for less than your budget but I wouldn’t scrape on your extraction and the bigger the better with a fan controller to turn it down. Pair this with a decent filter for smells as not doing this can get you caught.

Are you able to link me to any on amazon or ebay please mate ? And also if you can point me to a decent filter that would be awesome but where i live isnt much of an issue for smells i dont really got to worry about that.

I really need a link to a recommended l can buy on a budget i mentioned. Please i need one today or tomorrow the LATEST, or my plants are at risk of death.

:wallbash:

Hi mate,

It sounds like you are talking about using a fan that just moves air around. you need a proper extractor with ducting to remove the hot humid air your plants and lights will produce completely from your tent and clear of the room if possible.

As your plants grow they also need fresh air to be pulled passively through the vents to keep them alive.

You need the filter to keep  yourself at liberty, don't underestimate the smell a grow will kick out in full flower,without filtration it will travel beyond the confines of your property where postie or other may (will) smell it.

Everything you need can be found here:https://www.growandharvest.co.uk/product-category/grow-lights/ Links to non sponsors are against site rules I'm afraid.

Good luck with the grow :hippy:

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Nuttyprof said:

Hi mate,

It sounds like you are talking about using a fan that just moves air around. you need a proper extractor with ducting to remove the hot humid air your plants and lights will produce completely from your tent and clear of the room if possible.

As your plants grow they also need fresh air to be pulled passively through the vents to keep them alive.

You need the filter to keep  yourself at liberty, don't underestimate the smell a grow will kick out in full flower,without filtration it will travel beyond the confines of your property where postie or other may (will) smell it.

Everything you need can be found here:https://www.growandharvest.co.uk/product-category/grow-lights/ Links to non sponsors are against site rules I'm afraid.

Good luck with the grow :hippy:

How long do i have from seedling stage which is going well until i NEEEEEEED the extractor fan and NEEEEEED the proper light, what i use now is an LED low wattage whichis really good.

Edit - but wow those lights are waaaay dear man, my budget doesnt stretch that far, im looking between £0-£100 MAX. Cheap as poss of course.

Edited by inc3pti0n

I veg in my broom cupboard without any real extraction, they don’t seem to suffer for it though I do leave the door open a few inches to let air circulate.

9 minutes ago, nl5 said:

I veg in my broom cupboard without any real extraction, they don’t seem to suffer for it though I do leave the door open a few inches to let air circulate.

My room too has clean air flow especially with the fan, the room is perfect. Everyone has said the same, i will show reputable members my full set up, everything.

1 person likes this

I think grow and harvest have a full 600w hps dual spectrum light kit for like 55 pound, looks pretty fair in my opinion, you will always find dirt cheap but bad quality products out there dosent mean ya should buy them. my first grow was with a 600w magnetic ballast from Ebay, which fried itself, I also bought a six inch extractor fan (Ebay), it melted itself and I also got a Vortex twin fan controller (ebay) which kept frying its fuses. So in the end I spended a small decent amount of money on a load of shit(which at first I was delighted with) and still had to spend good money on decent products when all my cheapies failed. Oh by the way I have a lot of spares if u need anything. No Warranty though lol 

1 person likes this

25 minutes ago, Woodie2010 said:

I think grow and harvest have a full 600w hps dual spectrum light kit for like 55 pound, looks pretty fair in my opinion, you will always find dirt cheap but bad quality products out there dosent mean ya should buy them. my first grow was with a 600w magnetic ballast from Ebay, which fried itself, I also bought a six inch extractor fan (Ebay), it melted itself and I also got a Vortex twin fan controller (ebay) which kept frying its fuses. So in the end I spended a small decent amount of money on a load of shit(which at first I was delighted with) and still had to spend good money on decent products when all my cheapies failed. Oh by the way I have a lot of spares if u need anything. No Warranty though lol 

Ouch man. I guess this is why im asking for reliable recommendations within budget,i dont want to go all out on a first grow, i will upgrade to better quality each wage day and over time. I will check the light out you mentioned but like you said it could be a risk, idk man. But thank you

edit - found it, looks good, seems all good. Has anyone tried this ? Is it reliable the 

600w Maxibright Dura Magnetic, Euro, Parbright HPS Kit

£54.95

Edited by inc3pti0n

5 hours ago, inc3pti0n said:

How long do i have from seedling stage which is going well until i NEEEEEEED the extractor fan and NEEEEEED the proper light, what i use now is an LED low wattage whichis really good.

That depends on how fast they grow which in turn depends on other factors such as your light (i have never used LED so can't comment) temperature, humidity, medium and more.

A rundown of your setup would help others in advising you and we all love pictures of course :)