Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Amanojaku

Do I require a contactor or relay for single 400w HPS?

Just wondering if I need a contactor or relay for my single HPS light fixture - I've been using a Lumii Heavy-Duty 24hr analog timer all these years, and it's supposed to be fine without a contactor as long as it's a single light and no more powerful than 600w. Mine's 400w. So, do I need a relay or contactor? And if so, which one's are good in the UK?

Just saw the thread about lights killing timer switches and started reading......all the talk of house fires got my frickin' attention! So, wanna know the deal to be safe. Gonna get some fire extinguisher, as that's not something I ever thought about before, but you never know. Lot of wood in my place.

And, btw, what's the difference between a contactor and a relay, in layman's terms? 

To be honest mate if you been using them heavy duties for years and its been fine you sort have answered your own question lol :yep:

But yes i would go for one just for that extra bit of protection and saftey , plenty of options out there :yep:

Farmer G 

Relays are for low output and contactors for high output but both do same job respectively...so a relay would be fine :yep:

Farmer G 

most of any grow fires are usually due to the electrics been bypassed with dodgy wiring.

If you live in an old style house with chimneys and old electric trip switch type mains boxes then you might consider a contactor relay for anything more than 2 or 3 HID lights. 

But if you got just the one, I wouldn't bother too much about it if you're budgeting smart and not running a whole set up on extension cables.

Generally speaking its just a cleaner on and off. that's all.