Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

vortex

a question of taste ....

39 posts in this topic

ok folks  heres the  question .....  how do you breeders get the various tastes into the  buds ,   ok i understand that strawberry cough came to have the taste  as   a farmer had a strawberry patch that was  used for many many years ... he grew a canabis plant on it and due the  massive ammount of strawberries that fell and rotted inthe soil ,  the buds took on a strawberry taste ....

but how the hell  do you get  things like pineapple, lemon ,  chocolate,  mango, mint  etc  into the strain so the buds taste of it ????

ive wracked my brain and its still baffeling me .... i understand  you cross polinate varoius plants  but surely you dont/cant cross a cannabis plant with a lemon tree for example ?

i dont know if theres any truth in it,  but i read somewhere that if you want the buds to taste  a certain flavour  you can water the plant inthe last 4 or 5 weeks  with the flavourd water you want the buds to taste of ,... ie  orange juice to give an orange flavour.... lemon juice  for a lemony  taste  etc ...

is this true and has anyone tried it ?

sorry if my question makes me sound a total tw@ ............   but its something thats been puzzling me for ages

thanks for any help foks ....

Maybe have a read up on terpenes... 

12 people like this

the tastes are not due to the feed, I water with fish mix and that smells rank but my buds taste nice.

plenty of people grow in manure and the bud dont taste like shit either.

cant say for sure but the strawberry story sounds like a myth to me

8 people like this

There' something to be said for things that have been grown in shit but is this just a confirmation bias that fools my perception into merely 'thinking' it tastes better, whereas the reality is there is no difference ? :unsure:   Same too for feeding 'magic cocktails' of exotic flavours perhaps.

1 person likes this

I think it mostly factors in with how the seeds gene's express themselves , within a stable environment.All seeds are different with variation of potency,vigour, etc. It's all about searching for the full package. You alway's get one or 2 excellent keepers with "taste's how it smells" quality. So my assumption would be based on luck of the draw(keep searching, keep popping).

Edited by GrowYaBoat
1 person likes this

Iv wondered about this also, seems that cannabis produces terpene profiles that are found elsewhere in the plant kingdom. I was thinking about this the other day, one of the best smelling and tasting weed that Iv tried had a terp profile exactly the same as juicy fruit gum... I thought.... How the fuck does a weed plant have the same smell as gum?? 

Wasn't till I was reading another thread here that I learned that juicy fruit gum is based on jackfruit from South America I think. 

Weirdest terp profile that Iv come across was bud that smelled like cinnamon......... :yinyang:

Edited by grotbags
2 people like this

When the plant is growing lots of smells come off the plant.

When I smoke a joint I cannot taste the aromas, all I get is smoke and lots of coughing. But if I have a vape I can smell and taste different flavours.

1 person likes this

absolute myths ......

terpines:yep:;

jelly beans.........mix 2 or three flavours and get a completely different one....;)

1 person likes this

i over did the chicken manure pellets on an outdoor grow and you could smell in in the dried bud 

however if i grew a cutting of that plant in regular coco i don't think there would be the same smell and any seeds grown from that original mother wouldn't take on the chicken manure smell 

i don't think environmental conditions get taken up in the genes , they can however get taken up in the individual plant 

i don't have any facts to back this up but it doesn't seem logical the strawberry flavour can be taken up into the seedline or clones 

24 minutes ago, spirit animal - slug said:

they can however get taken up in the individual plant 

This is not how it works. Your assumption of you bud tasting like shit after being fed shit is quite frankly........shit lol

Feed a strawberry plant shit and strawberries tastes like a strawberry. Feed an apple tree shit and the apples taste like apples. Same goes for canna. If your bud tasted like chicken shit then you either let the bud touch it or that's what the bud tastes like. 

Topics like this don't half make me laugh with the ideas some people get. Ive never heard that story about strawberry cough before but lollol

21 people like this

is many years since I put some orange peel in a jar of curing bud, was a wonderful taste of orange but I cant be bothered nowadays

next grow i'm gonna add brut 66 to all my waterings and see if i can get a plant smelling like kevin keegan or henry cooper

7 people like this

6 minutes ago, spirit animal - slug said:

next grow i'm gonna add brut 66 to all my waterings and see if i can get a plant smelling like kevin keegan or henry cooper

Back of the net, lets hope its a knock-out.

5 people like this

@vortex

Terpenes are found in all different plants.

For example limonene will make your cannabis slightly lemony, it's also found in coriander, which is why that's a fairly citrusy herb.

That's just one example, there are shit loads of terpenes, and they combine and interact, so the possibilities are almost endless.

Edited by silvester growdrobe
3 people like this

I've heard it all now, grown in a strawberry filed so it tastes like strawberries . Terpenes are the only thing that gives cannabis its smell. 

I'm gonna be laughing for weeks after reading the main post.

4 people like this