Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


iGrow420710

buds smell and taste of hay - first grow/harvest

20 posts in this topic

Harvested last week friday. Been about 6 days. Now in jars. buds turned crisy but stems dont snap put into jar but cut up buds with the stem/stalk attached into jars and burping every 6-8hours.

Buds hardly smell dank.. smell like hay and taste is very bland hay like..

What do i do? i have ordered humidipacks 

Share this post


Link to post

Sounds like they are not dry yet mate. I'd get them out the jars to dry a whike longer. Mines usualy take 2 weeks to dry, then into jars for a day and back out and so on until dry

Eta

They will feel crispy on the outside but may still have alot of moisture inside. The hay taste and smell will go, it might take a few weeks in the jars or days but it will go and the weed smell comes through

Edited by K-dawg
15 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Sounds like k-dawg is spot on, they are not dry yet, the hay smell is chlorophyll.

 

Stick the bud in a brown paper bag for another week or so then jar and burp daily. :smokin:

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

I would not place in jars till after 7 days at least.

be patient don't rush it and force it

Share this post


Link to post

The hay smell can be a result of the bud being dried too quickly as well.

 

 

 

 

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

humidipak 62% not really helping buds smell like shit taste like shit and dont even get you high till 30 mins later and that too hardly... 

what do i do =/

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, iGrow420710 said:

humidipak 62% not really helping buds smell like shit taste like shit and dont even get you high till 30 mins later and that too hardly... 

what do i do =/

Humidipaks are for adding moisture back in or using for long term storage in jars i.e curing. Keep the buds out jars for now mate, place them on a drying rack or cardboard. Wait until the stems actually snap then place them in jars for a day and keep checking daily to see if more moisture has came through. If moisture has came back to the surface then leave the lids open or take buds back out for a few hours. Keep doing this til buds are fully dry. Patience is the key here. I've been in the exact same position you are in now. Its took me 4 weeks before to get the hay smell away.

 

Atb best bud

 

Eta

Also i read one of your other posts regarding drying in high humidity. Defo sounds like your buds aint dry rite through mate. Keep them out to dry for a a few days at least.

Edited by K-dawg
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

I know people say the smell comes back after weeks. Maybe its strain related? When I've done a nice slow dry it smells lovely from day it comes off the stem. Last time I fucked up the drying as we had that proper hot weather. Other than though it's deffo improved since I've used a fan controller and run the speed at its lowest setting. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
On 22/10/2018 at 9:24 AM, stummer said:

I know people say the smell comes back after weeks. Maybe its strain related? When I've done a nice slow dry it smells lovely from day it comes off the stem. Last time I fucked up the drying as we had that proper hot weather. Other than though it's deffo improved since I've used a fan controller and run the speed at its lowest setting. 

 

From my experience, and it’s quite limited, if the bud doesn’t stink after the initial dry, it won’t stink however long you cure it. 

 

I’ve just harvested cheese and it absolute stinks just after 5 days of drying. It smokes & tastes lovely without a cure. 

 

My other 2 harvests didn’t stink. The cure didn’t really do much. 

 

I’ve come to the conclusion it’s all about genetics.

 

 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Pau176 said:

 

From my experience, and it’s quite limited, if the bud doesn’t stink after the initial dry, it won’t stink however long you cure it. 

 

I’ve just harvested cheese and it absolute stinks just after 5 days of drying. It smokes & tastes lovely without a cure. 

 

My other 2 harvests didn’t stink. The cure didn’t really do much. 

 

I’ve come to the conclusion it’s all about genetics.

 

 

I agree which is why I'm kind of done with the chancing it now lol . I'm bit of a whore for new genetics. Something will catch my eye and have to grow it. After some shit weed though I'm kind of done. I'm just growing rated breeders who's stuff I have done in the past and liked. I just grew some clones that came from a friend of a friend. Absolute shit and waste of time lol mates more pissed as he is growing more than me. Was told it was something which clearly it isn't so the mums been binned now. Lesson learned and not happening again. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, stummer said:

I agree which is why I'm kind of done with the chancing it now lol . I'm bit of a whore for new genetics. Something will catch my eye and have to grow it. After some shit weed though I'm kind of done. I'm just growing rated breeders who's stuff I have done in the past and liked. I just grew some clones that came from a friend of a friend. Absolute shit and waste of time lol mates more pissed as he is growing more than me. Was told it was something which clearly it isn't so the mums been binned now. Lesson learned and not happening again. 

 

I was going to try different strains but after the disappointment of Sensi Master Kush & Superskunk, I will be sticking to the cheese for a while I think! 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
11 minutes ago, Pau176 said:

 

I was going to try different strains but after the disappointment of Sensi Master Kush & Superskunk, I will be sticking to the cheese for a while I think! 

 

For me trying new genetics has always been the attraction with growing. You will get bored with cheese after a while doesn't hit you the same way. Think it's quite known for that. I'm just gonna go with breeders I trust and never put all my eggs in one basket. Least half my grow will be from something I have grown before.

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
On 23/10/2018 at 4:51 PM, Pau176 said:

 

I was going to try different strains but after the disappointment of Sensi Master Kush & Superskunk, I will be sticking to the cheese for a while I think! 

I had a bad time with Sensei Super Skunk, grew out 5 phenos & they were all lanky, shit & stunk like shit, I would almost say it could have been hemp!?. Their Master Kush however I found to be really nice indeed, covered in sweet fruity trichomes & really strong. I only grew 2 Master Kush phenos, but they were both cracking! 

 

A mate of mine grew out my MK clone & he did an OK job of her, but it was quite a bit inferior to the grows I've done. So it's also down to the medium, feed & environment, plus a good consistent strains with good genetics.

 

I'm also convinced that certain strains do not like certain temperatures, feeds, or certain soils which other strains do love.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

Aside from the advice above I'm a big believer in avoiding light stress. Next time you get a bit of foxtailing and light burn try drying those bits, they will smell like hay.

 

I often dry and jar the plant in steps. The only bits that should be lacking on a decent plant are any light starved lowers or light stressed tops if you've not managed the canopy enough.

 

Also don't dry too hot - that'll do it, I prefer a lower room temp dry at about 45-50% rh for a week to 2 weeks on stems followed by nugs in open top wide mouth jars for a week with regular turning at least daily. Then a month or more with either 58 or 62% bovedas. Key is not to lose the volatile terpenes, which is why I jar it earlier than most. Just keep an eye on the softness and waft/turn as required.

 

The potency issue you describe won't be a drying issue though. That's either genetics, stress or harvest timing most likely.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post

The other problem with the taste could be down to pumping up the feed in the last few weeks and not flushing properly. But yea, 6 days is way too early to go into jars IMO

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now