Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

prawn

Best Carbon Filter on the market?

121 posts in this topic
1 hour ago, BarrySHitPeas said:

Curious what would be the benefit of over sizing your CF ?

Its to match the amount of air the fan pulls, if the filter can’t cope with a powerful fan it won’t filter the air properly. 

For example my 10” fan moves 2310m3/hr but if I were to get a 10” mountain air filter (the big 1m long one) it’s only rated up to 1600m3/hr, so I’ve gone with the 12.5 inch filter which is rated to 2300m3/hr so is fine, just needs a reducer to fit. 

3 people like this

@BarrySHitPeas

Oversizing as I understand it is also to cut down the work of the fan as there's less resistance (easier for the air to pass through) and therefore less noise you obviously need to use a fan controller so that you're not creating a wind tunnel.  An 8" fan will move more air with less effort than a 6" (bigger fan propeller moves more air at reduced speed that a smaller propeller (is that the right word?) at full pelt).  It is supposed to add to the shelf life of your filter since you're not using it at full capacity (if you're in proper conditions rh wise). 

That's what I read many moons ago but haven't revisited the threads that explained it as it took me loads of reading and rereading to try to understand and gave me quite the headache.

ETA

I've got a 5" TD Silent that's good for noise but not the best for pulling so I put it on an 8" Rhino pro (short one) to allow it to pull better.  I'm not sure but you can go too far but a size ducting up from your fan is a good starter.  Those fan line curve graphs just makes my head spin!

Edited by Teeth
additional info
1 person likes this

Just assumed for some reason they'd make a filter to match the max fan speeds at that ducting  size .... so they often either make Cf under powered for lack of better word for the ducting size?   (i've only ever looked at 6inch /150mm filters with any detail ) and not noticed this before.

So thinking about it.... if you over rate the airflow does  this often result in a longer lasting/better performance ,reduced sound ?

So did i choose the Right Filter....

So i have a TD silent 500 Airflow: 550m3/hr

Max air flow 600m3/h  of the Carboair 50 150 330 ? on a Step Controller

1 person likes this

Again I stand to be corrected as I'm no techie and better heads understand/explain it better.

So long as your fan is coping with the heat and you're happy with the noise then you did fine - your fan doesn't go over the limit of the filter especially with ducting losses etc so it's safe and that's the point of the filter. 

I'm not sure about the noise of the filter though as there will always be the noise from that, but to follow my logic and I can't stress enough I'm regurgitating what other folks have said without the actual knowledge, a bigger filter e.g. 8" on a 6" fan will create less turbulance (?) so in theory should cause less noise, I've also read yonks ago that straight solid ducting helps to reduce the noise as again there's less resistance for the air to encounter.

Please one of the guru's confirm this

1 person likes this

On 29/09/2018 at 11:59 AM, Tenchie said:

Hello chaps,

Looking for a new cf myself for my flowering tent,always used a rhino without any issues,well till it died that was.

I oversize my cf (8") with a 6" reducer and 6" can-fan for extraction.

My problem is I only have a dr 120 and I also use a parrabolic shade,the 8" rhino is huge and heavey.It does take up a fair bit of space.

Is there a lighter cf out there? Are the can cf or phresh and lighter than th rhinos?

Tenchie.

Look at Phresh Skinny filters, slim and light. 

1 person likes this

@Muppet

Morning,

Yeah after @Golden Syrup mentioned them yesterday I had a quick search that thro up the phresh filters including the skinny phresh,are these budget ones compaired to the "normal" ones? The price would suggest so! I will look again today at length of these,if they are as long as a 8" Rhino or a tad smaler then I can fit it inside my tent as I dont have the room outside.

Cheers.

Tenchie.

CAN filter user here :) 

Have always used CAN apart from when rhino first come on the scene i grabbed one of them but went back to CAN.

CAN filters were the Cheese growers choice from back in the day :yep: it can and does handle skunks all day long for 2+ years thats from personal experience :yes:

Farmer 

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Tenchie said:

@Muppet

Morning,

Yeah after @Golden Syrup mentioned them yesterday I had a quick search that thro up the phresh filters including the skinny phresh,are these budget ones compaired to the "normal" ones? The price would suggest so! I will look again today at length of these,if they are as long as a 8" Rhino or a tad smaler then I can fit it inside my tent as I dont have the room outside.

Cheers.

Tenchie.

As far as I know the skinnier are no lesser quality, but have half the carbon in them so need replacing twice as often. 

2 people like this

Talking to a mate there and his suggestion was to just match the 6" extraction with a 6" filter,this would give me some extra much needed head space! What you rekon guys? I read something years ago about oversizing your carbon filter and that will be less strain on your extraction fan,so thats all I`ve ever done with a reducer attached,anyone else just match for match their extraction fan and carbon filter?

Tenchie.

1 person likes this

I have 2 extraction systems in my tent one is oversize and one is like for like , i mean as long as the variables match up like the volume output then you should be fine after all its what it was built for in the first place , i think the over size thing is something that is just preferred as mechanically makes for a better rate of extraction all round with less restrictions against the flow :) 

Did i make sense there :stoned:  lol 

Farmer 

3 people like this

Has anyone tried the inline carbon filters? Can't remember who makes them, but if they are just as good the standard cf's they would be ideal for folks with limited head space.

@FARMER G

Nope! lol  Well kinda if I`m honest.

Think I will just match either a 6" phresh or Can fan with my 6" extraction fan and see how it goes mate.

Thanks everyone for your input  :yep:

Tenchie.

4 hours ago, K-dawg said:

Has anyone tried the inline carbon filters? Can't remember who makes them, but if they are just as good the standard cf's they would be ideal for folks with limited head space.

I have! They work very nicely, although I reckon the fan had to pull about 20% harder, you lose a bit of air flow with them as all that surface area you would've had with a normal filter is reduced down to a 6/8 or 10" hole

40 minutes ago, Golden Syrup said:

I have! They work very nicely, although I reckon the fan had to pull about 20% harder, you lose a bit of air flow with them as all that surface area you would've had with a normal filter is reduced down to a 6/8 or 10" hole

Would you say there is more noise with these ? I'm toying with the idea of getting one and adding another light in my flower room. Currently using a loft tent so head room is limited 

Yes @K-dawg cos the fan has to work harder than it would through a normal filter, which is why I went back to normal filters cos it was louder. TBH if I oversized my fan and then oversized the filter it'd cure the issue, and if I put both in the loft and not in room/tent then it'd probably be quieter. 

1 person likes this