Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.


Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GROW VIRGIN

New tent help needed!!!

Ok fellow growers I have just got a 2.4m x 1.2m tent and I need to purchase some additional items to upgrade my kit as I currently grow in 1.2 x 1.2m tent

 

i plannto use a 600w hps that I already have but will probs need another light at least 600w maybe 1000w depends on price really 

 

need a new carbon filter and fan don’t want to save money here really would like a quiet fan,not sure if I should buy a normal fan and a silencer then stick a speed controller on it as never done this before though

 

or should I buy a box fan and stick it in the loft as a friend suggested lol  I have been looking at these isomax fans but there price are they worth it ??? 

 

I will probs need to add a intake fan  with this tent so not sure what size I will need suppose that will depend  on my out take size fan would be 

 

basically I’m in a right pickle I’m to high and don’t no what to buy anybody got this size tent ???

 

im willing spend £500 maybe abit more 

Share this post


Link to post

ive had a couple of tents that size  in the past,

 

I went with rvk 6 inch A1 fan intake and a 8 inch A1 fan for extraction, mated to a 8 inch filter.  the A1 fans are lower powered compared to the L1 fans, and are quieter, obviously.

I ran these without a controller and the temps were always around 26-28 degrees lights on (2 x 600s in there HPS)

 

If you want to keep the noise down you could go for a 10 inch out take, off a speedcontroller, but get a variac controller, or build one, they are much quieter than most off the shelf stuff, and would work out about £150 if you built it yourself, for the controller. 

 

that's what I would do anyway.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting ... so if I buy a 10 inch fan what size filter would I need and how easy is it to build my own speed control I’m sure there a guide in here like for everything else

 

i want everything as quiet as possible and I only run a 5 inch fan at moment so not sure how loud things will get with a 6 and 10 inch blowing away im in a apartment block you see on the top floor 

Edited by GROW VIRGIN

Share this post


Link to post

Today I purchased a hyper stealth 8 inch super silent fan. The best buy ever. Worth every penny of the 340 it cost. Would definitely recommend looking into this type of fan comes complete with fan controller and a 5 year guarantee. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, LOVERLOVER said:

Today I purchased a hyper stealth 8 inch super silent fan. The best buy ever. Worth every penny of the 340 it cost. Would definitely recommend looking into this type of fan comes complete with fan controller and a 5 year guarantee. 

Do you have the same size setup and what light  and filter Do you use 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, GROW VIRGIN said:

Interesting ... so if I buy a 10 inch fan what size filter would I need and how easy is it to build my own speed control I’m sure there a guide in here like for everything else

 

i want everything as quiet as possible and I only run a 5 inch fan at moment so not sure how loud things will get with a 6 and 10 inch blowing away im in a apartment block you see on the top floor 

10 inch fan needs a 10 inch filter as a minimum.

RVK fans are not the quietest, but they are rock solid on the reliability front. there area number of different acoustic fans etc, but ive never used them so cant comment.

if you go to the diy section in the board there is a number of posts on diy variac builds. These are the bollox as far as controllers go. if you can wire a plug and follow a simple wiring diagram you can do it no problem. After all - I managed, and am still alive to tell the tale.

Edited by badbillybob

Share this post


Link to post

Yes I am able to build my own variance control always do my own diy but just wondering are the safe if you do it yourself I am just thinking worse case scenario the police come one day and say that’s dodgy wiring you no what there like lol 

 

yes i may go down the acoustic fan route there an 8” isomax airforce 2 on a auction site for around £225 I think ....says it moves 900m3/hr at max I can be switched to 800 or 580m3/hr 

 

then there’s a 10” one for £264 that moves 1500m3/hr only no switching I honestly don’t no if that’s overkill 

 

i suppose i need need to have a search through this site find some people with this size tent see how there rolling 

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, GROW VIRGIN said:

Do you have the same size setup and what light  and filter Do you use 

I have a 2.4m indoor tent running two 600w hps. I have a input of 8 inch with no fan attached as the fan pulls through with the 8 inch filter attached. Slots in perfectly, needs a little tape.

Share this post


Link to post

And some yoyos to hang it haha 

Atb

Share this post


Link to post

So do you only have an 8 inch fan running then and use passive intake with no Fan ...as this is what I do with with my 1.2n tent just have a extraction

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/13/2018 at 9:57 PM, LOVERLOVER said:

And some yoyos to hang it haha 

Atb

 

you dont want to be using yoyo's to hold up either a filter or a fan as the yoyo's will fail & you will wipe out a few plants if either one falls,

the best things to use are good bungee cords (not the poundshop kind) & motorcycle cargo nets, they have hooks on them which is ideal for using in a tent,

another benefit is that they help reduce any vibrations if the fan is fitted to the tent.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post

@GROW VIRGIN 

 

if your only planning on using one 600w then a good 6" fan would do but if you ever decide to run two 600w's

then I'd use a 8" fan at a minimum & would be more inclined to future proof things by getting a 10" fan.

 

if you dont want to use the passive vents then add in a 5" fan (320m3/hr) for an active intake if you get a 6" (720-750m3/hr) or 8" (1000m3/hr) out take fan,

if you go with a 10" out take then get a low powered 6" fan (430m3/hr) as the active intake.

 

as for the noise off the fans, the more basic ruck & systemaire fans run noisier than others but they cost half the price &

are very reliable, I've ran some of the fans I've got for over 5 years & the only maintenance they needed is a change of bearings,

its a 10 minute job & there's pinned thread in the Diy section explaining how to do it.

 

same with building your own fan controller, do a advanced search for "variac" & loads of help thread will pop up, you could even 

have a look at some of my signature variac links to show how easy it is to build one & be totally safe. as long as your wiring is correct

& tightened up properly, you've nothing to worry about. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
On 15/09/2018 at 8:22 PM, Joint hogger said:

@GROW VIRGIN 

 

if your only planning on using one 600w then a good 6" fan would do but if you ever decide to run two 600w's

then I'd use a 8" fan at a minimum & would be more inclined to future proof things by getting a 10" fan.

 

if you dont want to use the passive vents then add in a 5" fan (320m3/hr) for an active intake if you get a 6" (720-750m3/hr) or 8" (1000m3/hr) out take fan,

if you go with a 10" out take then get a low powered 6" fan (430m3/hr) as the active intake.

 

as for the noise off the fans, the more basic ruck & systemaire fans run noisier than others but they cost half the price &

are very reliable, I've ran some of the fans I've got for over 5 years & the only maintenance they needed is a change of bearings,

its a 10 minute job & there's pinned thread in the Diy section explaining how to do it.

 

same with building your own fan controller, do a advanced search for "variac" & loads of help thread will pop up, you could even 

have a look at some of my signature variac links to show how easy it is to build one & be totally safe. as long as your wiring is correct

& tightened up properly, you've nothing to worry about. 

 

Thank you for your input and apologies for late reply been mad busy at work all week 

 

so I m going to run either 1 600w and a 1000w light in this tent although it could be turned down to 600w as it dimable ballast. I was going to use 2 600w but picked up a good deal on a 600w dimable and 1000w dimable ballast I just need to source to power cables for them 

 

Im unsure in fans as Ben looking at  8” isomax acoustic fan moves around 900 but been looking at a big 10” box fan that moves 1500 and maybe stick it in loft with ducting come down into tent onto filter

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

if you can stick the box fan in a loft then that's what I'd go for, it will be nosier than the isomax but once on a fan controller, it'll be about the same,

also, dont forget to use acoustic ducting if there's nosy neighbors about.

Share this post


Link to post

Never found acoustic ducting much use, quieter for sure but not much! I've an old Chaysol 4" in an old pond filter box with an old quilt up in the loft, on a home made speed controller running 'bout 95‰. Can't hear it at all, only the whistle of air. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0