Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ScottishGrown

New grower site prep

I have a good south facing plot next to a river in the central belt of Scotland, lat 54/55ish I think, and will be starting an outdoor grow next year and have some questions, any and all answers or advice is appreciated :)

Is it possible to plant outside after germination? (I can't start indoors because reasons) I was planning on planting into decomposable pots and cover with a clear plastic bottle with the bottom cut off and placing in the soil. Is this an ok method?

What kinda soil prep should I do at the site before hand? I'm looking to plant in the ground instead of in pots and would like to use native soil. I understand digging a hole then filling it with half native half bought soil is a usual method, any opinions on that?

Are there any plant life I should look out for which can mean a good or bad site?

And lastly, any strain recommendations for the harsh Scottish climate? 

I hope all you experienced growers can turn this noob into a pro, one love ✌

1 person likes this

Re onsite germination,  yes perfectly possible I do it all the time.  If you check out my thread in the diary section titled 'Confessions of a Serial Guerilla Grower',  there is a step by step guide at the start of my method. 

Prep totally depends on your native soil,  so without a proper description and/or some pics its hard to advise you there. 

Plant life to look out for are things like nettles and elders, they generally indicate good soil. 

Fem strains for your lat aren't in abundance unfortunately, Ive got a couple lines that are currently being tested in Scotland and Denmark with good results. 

Plenty of info on this forum,  the more you read the more you'll have weed.

Good luck

3 people like this

@Amarillo slim thanks I'll hunt that down and give it a look. I'll also visit the area, test soil, check plant life then post photos :)

The sheer amount of info you can find here is so daunting due to all the different methods and locations of growing. I have been looking at all the common factors on grows that are similar to what I plan and will be following them as close as I can

give it a good dig over ... i put in a good handfull of chicken shite pellets and  some blood fish and bone too ......  let it  rot down then i re apply gain about 3 weeks before i plant out ...  i also use seaweed in the soil too .... no nutes used here .... you can also use chopped up  and soaked  stingy nettles to water them too ....

Edited by vortex
1 person likes this

@vortex are these stuff you can buy in your average garden centre, or even b&q?

Do you think it would be worth setting up just now for next year? It's a grassy patch next to a river So don't know how early to start with it

1 person likes this

also watch out for signs of slugs,  deer or rabbits, or even worse-.....people..

If you want to turn over the plot, you can just turn over small aread about a metre wide, per plant and stick a stick into it.

Then when you come back next year, and the stick is still there,you will know where you dug.

I was throwing a handful og organic chicken manure pellets, blood fish and bone, and some mychorizal fungi into my soil holes, but I was using imported soil

I will do the same next year too, as it turned out ok this year. Oh and slug pellets spread all around the topsoil where the plants are should help keep the munchers at bay, along with mesh cages to keep the deer away.

I would go with autos after my adventure this year to be honest, they are easier.

Good luck with it.

Edited by badbillybob
2 people like this

@badbillybob deer aren't too much of an issue here I believe but there are rabbits, luckily I have some chicken wire to help with that. I plan on leaving a few shiny pound coins scattered around to see if any one picks them up over winter, which should indicate presence of people. 

I've heard of people burying fish in their holes, is this a valid technique and if so when should I do it before growing? Was thinking about digging it up just now and keep topping it up with ferts until it's time to grow. I can get a lot of horse shit to use, is that any good to use?

Chicken wire 600mm high and 20-25mm gauge? 

horse shits great just heavy compared to dry ferts.  Can start prep now or wait till before planting, pros and cons to both.

Coins idea sounds good.   once you get pics up people will be able to give better advice. 

3 people like this

23 hours ago, ScottishGrown said:

@vortex are these stuff you can buy in your average garden centre, or even b&q?

Do you think it would be worth setting up just now for next year? It's a grassy patch next to a river So don't know how early to start with it

yea mate   i got a BIG tub of chicken crap pellets for a fiver from wilkinsons ... blood fish and bone there for a few quid to .....  if you can get to a beach, the seaweed  for feed is free....  if not , you can buy the  stuff you dilute with water for 3 or 4 quid mate ....

i also get LOADS  of  egg shells free from the local bakery ... dry the lot in the oven for 15 mins ... crush them lightly and sprinkle liberally  round the plants  as the slugs and snains dont seem to like  crawling over them   and  they add calcium to the soil too ... double bonus ....

for now tho i would be checking to make sure its secure ... no public wakways near to it  etc ....  if theres an old track near to the plot  what i do is leave  a quid in change ,  old broken mobile phone etc on the path ....  if its still  there after a month or so ...  it  looks to be  secure .... if  the cash / old phone is gone ...some buggers picked it up and the track is being used 

Edited by vortex
1 person likes this

I've been back to my plot and left a few pound coins lying in strategic places. There are two ways into my plot. The easiest is across a sewage pipe that crosses a burn, the other is walking up the burn and through a tunnel, this requires wellies so doubt it will be used. Although I did find this plot when I was a wean using that route but I doubt kids these days are as adventurous as I was. I have blocked the pipe route the best I can in the hopes it deters any would be adventurers. 

I took a few pictures of my plot to see what you guys think.

I dug into the soil a little to get a look at what I'm working with. How does this look?

DYJRc99.jpg

This is my plot, handily labelled with the direction I'm facing.

g7reI2S.jpg

Sorry just realised I fucked up with the labelling, east is actually west and vice versa.

b4C4RrF.jpg

SW9BR6x.jpg

rH3OWz2.jpg

Also a very handy water source. It looks very still there but it's always moving, there is a waterfall about 100 meters down stream.

r5s8g5o.jpg

Any advice and notes on my plot would be much appreciated. I've been looking for other plots and had a few possibilities but this will be my main one, providing it hasn't been compromised by next year.

5 people like this

the soil looks quite sandy but ok, dont forget to hunt around under trees near your plot, there could be amazing soil even a few meteres away that you can transport to your holes and mix in. A technique known as "skimming" :)

Remember the wider and deeper the hole the potenially bigger your plant will be so dont be lazy :) you want a 70lt size hole for a big plant bigger for bigger.....

Do a youtube seach on soil types and youll quickly sus out the type you have. You could try female seeds red purps at that lat works here at 55.

Edited by toobaked
7 people like this

Plot sounds and looks OK.  Obviously somone has been in at some point chopping up some tree(s).  But this could be from yonks ago,  hard to tell without seeing up close. Was it there when you visited as a kid? 

Anyway,  the soil is low in nutrients and likely acidic.  So its probably worth getting yourself a ph meter/kit to test the ground now,  so you can apply lime over winter to bring the PH up prior to planting in spring/summer. 

You can add lots of organic matter to improve structure and water retention.  Using organics you will likely have to top dress a few times throughout the season.  If your not fussed about organics, I would use and slow release osmocote type fertilizer and maybe a some water crystals, depending on amount of rainfall in your area. 

You thinking using middle of the plot (south pic) ?

1 person likes this