Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

lucky dan

quietest fan?

Hello and thank you for looking.

I have a problem with a noisy fan, I have a grow room in my spare bedroom and at the moment you can hear it from outside the bedroom, I have come to the conclusion I need a quiet fan, indeed the quietest fan available, do you have any suggestions.

Thank you

Lucky Dan

what size and fan are you running? The answer may well be an oversized one for your needs attached to a controller that will turn it down. The added bonus is that when you need it, the extra air movement is there( during a heatwave for example)

3 people like this

If it`s in the tent you mentioned before mate, I would get a 6" ruck fan and a fan temp controller like monkeypig says above, I was suffering from the noise before I bought a hybrid one, I can honestly say it has not only has it dropped the noise, but it keeps temps up in winter.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Systemair do pretty quiet ones.

Oversized fan on a controller is a good idea. Say if you had a 6" fan shifting the same amount of air as a 5", it will be quieter than a 5" on full. It's to do with the capacity of the ducting, the bigger it is then the slower it needs to move down there, which is where the less noise comes from. We can try stop fans themselves making noise like putting them in boxes but not the actual airflow noise, acoustic ducting is supposed to reduce that apparently.

Edited by Conspiranought
1 person likes this

Two things you can do with your current fan that are easy and much cheaper than buying a new fan.......

1) Put a decent set of bearings in it. (I just did this on a shitty old fan and now it’s much,much quieter)

2) stick your fan in a box. 

Job Done, you won’t be able to hear it standing next to it. 

1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Bwm said:

2) stick your fan in a box. 

Job Done, you won’t be able to hear it standing next to it. 

This is often said, but boxing it doesn`t stop the noise of the air, I spent ages doing a proper plywood job with expanding foam, waste of time.

4 people like this

1 minute ago, ratdog said:

This is often said, but boxing it doesn`t stop the noise of the air, I spent ages doing a proper plywood job with expanding foam, waste of time.

Should have used MDF mate, it’s got better sound deadening properties. Also, expanding foam isn’t the best thing to use. Just lining the box with cheap, sound deadening insulation (the type used in cars) and lining the outside of the box with some cheapy carpet will make your fan hard to hear standing next to it.

As for the sound of the air......rigid pipe will lessen it but for total silence from it then a fan controller is helpful.

I have TD Silent 500 150MM/6inch 500m3h  paired with A step controller and Phonic trap acoustic ducting and its pretty dam quite. can't hear it on full power outside the room.

I do have a straight ducting run, as the fan a doesn't deal with bends in ducting to well i've found but if its a straight line of ducting its pretty dam good just doesn't have the power/torque 

to deal with big bends.

Just changed my CF from Rhino pro to Carbo air back to Rhino pro again Due to the noise coming from it. took my whole extraction apart and back together to find it was the new carbon filter.

Hyperfan stealth is meant to be good , has a inbuilt controller more power and it's a prettier to boot h,a i've heard the 8 inch model and was impressed with the power to sound ratio but i haven't heard the 6 inch model so cant comment on its sound properties but I'm sure someone on here can.

Good luck :ninja:

Copy and Pasted as this is the 2nd time this question as been posted this week

Systemair Revolution ec vector is a new breed, digital thingy. Although I've just got an 8" rvk L1 on a 5 step transformer (variac) oversized 10" ducting to reduce air whoosh and it does the job nice and stealthily :haveadab:

On 31 August 2018 at 5:53 PM, ratdog said:

Be better boxing the first foot and a half of ducting where the whoosh comes from eh lol tried the 18mm mdf lined with 50mm high density foam and it done feck all, Variac and oversized duct the way to go like woop 

1 person likes this