Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

lucky dan

Can I grow in bags of compost?

19 posts in this topic

Hello

I have height restrictions regarding my grow tents so I cannot use large pots as they are too high.

Is it ok to grow my plants in regular sized bags of compost?

Thank you

Lucky Dan

Edited by lucky dan
wanted to insert media

You have to think about the drainage etc 

You can grow in sacks like that you actually see sacks like that for that very purpose that you grow in the sack in garden centers.

Maybe a few drainage holes at the bottom sat on bricks for drainage.

You can make your own custom flower beds also 

Farmer 

1 person likes this

Hello Farmer.

Thank you for your reply.

So I can use garden centre sacks of compost to grow in?

Lucky Dan

I think farmer is right about the drainage, a normal 40-50 litre plastic compost bag won't be great on drainage, you would maybe want to raise them up a touch and put them in the long grow bags rather than leaving in plastic packaging.

Peace

Hello Green fingers;

I could raise them up an inch but no further, I really do want to save on height.

You said: put them in the long grow bags, what are long grow bags and why can't I leave the compost in the plastic packaging.

Thank you

Lucky Dan

The best way to control height is with topping and low stress training.

1 person likes this

How much space do you have mate?

total space floor to ceiling?

Edited by crticalcontent
Extra bits

I would avoid grow bags like the plague, they will hold water if you don`t prick them, and will dry to a hard ball if you do which is really hard to rehydrate because the bags don`t hug the compost like a pot does, I know this from experience in growing tomatoes in bags with out proper support for the base and sides, if you really want things that low I would use shallow wide plastic trays with about 120mm sides.

4 people like this

What about washing up bowl with drilled holes in bottom

1 person likes this

hi mate,i had a friend with exactly the same problem, top plants your at 7th node or lst them but get a bag of perlite to mix with the compost&get some buckets&drill holes in them sides&bottom(about20)&even if they are only raised an inch off the floor they'l drain fine, but take it easy on the nutes for first5 weeks as theres already a month or two off feed in compost,he pulled12 oz off each plant, 4 under 6oow hps dual spectrum,2super cheese from feminised seeds.co.uk ,1knockout from same company&a chronic which he didnt top as chronic apparently doesnt like being topped so he just lst'd that1,all strains where spot on&cant grumble at 48oz in 1.2mx2m bud box.hope it went well..

blueberrytwist criticalXak47 critical kush

Edited by hezz73

12oz off each plant, you sure about that dude?

Edited by Smokebelch
3 people like this

41 minutes ago, Smokebelch said:

12oz off each plant, you sure about that dude?

maybe he meant wet weight :)

E2a: that's 2.24 gpw, not undoable, just unlikely

Edited by unity
calcs
3 people like this

Make ue own pots from plastic containers? Or washing up bowls as already mentioned 

1 person likes this

yeah im sure cos i helped trim them,cure them and weighed them&no not wet properly cured&not leaving the bottom branches in the weight either! my friend has grown since1982 so believe it or not im only trying to give the guy some info to get him the best return from what he has,iv no reason to lie im 55&been there&bought the t shirt,regards hope all turns out well my friend&to the non believers all i can say is try it as it is doable believe me,bat guano,molasses&all the nice little things they like(superthrive,etc),everyone has their own little ways &secret supplements that blow your buds up but its the density of the buds that give you weight not just the size&you must veg with metal halide or leds as clts&t5's are only good for seedlings imo..2weeks from seed under 250 clt&a t5,then switch to halide or led until you have a plant size worth flipping to 12/12&you will get decent returns,happy days for you &respect to all for your input also..

@unity yeah maybe it is doable but I would imagine they would need to be in pots the size of dustbins and veged up for 4 or 5 months. 

The guy says it’s dry weight with no air buds, sorry but I just don’t believe he pulled 12oz per plant from a 600w light. 

Edited by Smokebelch
4 people like this