Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Grampamark

Thought things were going to well. Spider Mite!

17 posts in this topic

Oh well guy's I thought everything was going to well this year, Nice veg, Nice growth, all my plants look lush and green and then I find the dreaded spider mite in a couple of my plants. So really means they will be in all my indoor grow plants. Now the best thing I have read up on to fight these little feckers is a thing called Green Cleaner. But can I find it anywhere in the UK to try, can I hellers like, and there also one called, Monterey Garden Insect Spray with Spinosad Concentrate. Again can I find it anywhere in the UK. No I cant. So just wondering if you guys have tried anything and would you recommend it. Did it work. I will try a few things during the week and keep you all informed on how things work or not. In the years I have grown I have never ever had these bloody mites. Maybe all this sunny weather is not only great for plant growth, but also bug growth.

If you want something to use straight away a small smear of wash up liquid,crushed garlic  and rape seed oil mixed with warm water helps a little. If in veg use abamectin, ivermectin or harkers mectin .Spinosad is good ,permethrin ,pyrethrin sprays from garden centres and neem oil is also good but the harder stuff works best ,with a fine mist .

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Il second the rapeseed oil mixture i use it throughout veg and early flower and my mites all die off before mid flower. Never have any real damage. I gave up trying to get rid of them completely they just come back where i live lol

@Jibba jabba has just gave me some advise on spider mite.. he has some pics of the stuff he uses, which id sag is the "harder stuff" michael was talking about.

Atb

JJ

Edited by JamJar
2 people like this

Alright there @Grampamark

large.IMG_2687.JPG

Thats the concentrated version, can use with the lights on, The transport is exactly that,  I can’t remember the word, but in takes it on board and protects the plants from further out break. 

Like Jamjar I had a mite issue, tried everything I could think of except harkers, treated my remaining plants both the veg and flower cab, all equipment and most of the inside of my shed, not seen any since.

As a general  rule I will treat my plants once established, then not worry about anymore.

Take it easy.Jj:yinyang:

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Jibba jabba said:

Alright there @Grampamark

large.IMG_2687.JPG

Thats the concentrated version, can use with the lights on, The transport is exactly that,  I can’t remember the word, but in takes it on board and protects the plants from further out break. 

Like Jamjar I had a mite issue, tried everything I could think of except harkers, treated my remaining plants both the veg and flower cab, all equipment and most of the inside of my shed, not seen any since.

As a general  rule I will treat my plants once established, then not worry about anymore.

Take it easy.Jj:yinyang:

Thanks very much Jj I will go out and see if I can find any today. Thank you mate.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Michael Luchóg said:

If in veg use abamectin, ivermectin or harkers mectin

This will kill them off, do 1 dose every three days

1 person likes this

A short term measure is to spray them off with a hose or power shower. It wont get rid of them all, but it sets them back.

I have found predator mites to be effective (after I overcame my skepticism). They do not eliminate the spider mites but rather limit the numbers to the extent that there is no visible damage. Works for me!

1 hour ago, Simple Jack said:

A short term measure is to spray them off with a hose or power shower. It wont get rid of them all, but it sets them back.

I have found predator mites to be effective (after I overcame my skepticism). They do not eliminate the spider mites but rather limit the numbers to the extent that there is no visible damage. Works for me!

Hi SJ I have just ordered 1000 of the Phytoseiulus persimilis. We shall have to see how they go. Also ordered some spider mite protection spray that Jj said about. I will try the Phytoseiulus persimilis first for 4 weeks then try  the spray Jj told me about. Thank you

3 people like this

On 15/07/2018 at 1:24 PM, Gr0wr said:

Sorry for late reply.

Cheers. It did just over 11oz. I was over the moon with that. My last one did just over 11 too. I've got another one going at the the moment which is looking very good, I reckon that might do a little more. :)

23 hours ago, Grampamark said:

Hi SJ I have just ordered 1000 of the Phytoseiulus persimilis. We shall have to see how they go. Also ordered some spider mite protection spray that Jj said about. I will try the Phytoseiulus persimilis first for 4 weeks then try  the spray Jj told me about. Thank you

Just remember any spray will probably kill beneficials aswell as the bad mites, let the persimilis colonize and shit. They don't completely eradicate, they farm the mites into little manageable areas so they have a constant food source. Loves the grow from your heart podcast, so useful.

Peace

1 person likes this

On ‎15‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 0:34 PM, Simple Jack said:

Hi Guy's, Well I brought all my ladies outside to have a good look in day light, and yes they were all covered in webs. So the panic started. 4 weeks in flower and I thought I will lose them all. I have pampred these ladies something terrible, so I was gutted when I seen all the webs. How they hell did they get in to my room. What have I taken in to contaminate my room. I still do not know what I brought in. Anyway I shot down to the local shop and bought a spray that said kills Red mite amongst many other things. So I covered all the ladies top to bottom. I then ordered 2 insect killer bombs / smokers. These 2 smokers went in and I left the door sealed for 24 hours, left the fans on to blow them around, knocked the extractor off so it would not get sucked out. So I went in today, took all my ladies out. Yeah! not a sign of the little feckers.

All the webs had even disappeared, and I could not see any mites. Now the thing is I have 1000 Phytoseiulus persimilis landing tomorrow, other mites that hunt down and kill  spider mites. So I shall let them lose on the ladies when they come. My only problem now is what if the calvary arrive and I place them on and there nothing to eat. Suppose the poor feckers will starve if I have in fact terminated the spider mites. So in total I have spent £40 to try save my ladies & touch wood it looks like they have. Great result!  Anyway hope all you & yours and your ladies all keep well and safe. Grampamark :)

This was reduced to clear in Tesco £1.25 for a 1ltr bottle, gonna use as a preventative measure.large.84DD7411-2C2A-4D73-88DE-56DF22868020.jpeg

1 person likes this

Unless you have a problem, don't spray. Never spray half heartedly, if there is something living in there and you don't kill 'em, you stand a good chance of the next generation having a higher immunity to that particular remedy. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Muppet said:

Unless you have a problem, don't spray. Never spray half heartedly, if there is something living in there and you don't kill 'em, you stand a good chance of the next generation having a higher immunity to that particular remedy. 

Well I have released the I have 1000 Phytoseiulus persimilis. Lets see if they can finish any of the little feckers or their eggs or lava are still left behind. To be    continued...…   :)

Never tried any predators, sound a good idea tho'. 

They only work in veg as a 12/12 light cycle causes mites to go into winter mode, their body compasition changes and the predators don't like the taste!

10 hours ago, Muppet said:

They only work in veg as a 12/12 light cycle causes mites to go into winter mode, their body compasition changes and the predators don't like the taste!

never heard this before? sounds interesting:cheers: