Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sarahnya

Autos Different?

16 posts in this topic

Are Autos significantly different in effect to their photo counterparts?  I'm really wanting to grow Durban Poison but I'm worried it's too tall for my 2m tent. 

Im not a fan of auto's,  I like to be in control of when she flowers and how big she gets,  iv tried a few autos and never had as much luck as I do with regs or fems

I should have added to my last post that theres no such thing as too tall for your tent,  with LST techniques you can keep them as low as you want 

also i dont think youd get a 2 meter auto ....... mine grew to about 3 foot max ... tho some will get  a bit higher ....  not 6 foot tho ....or if they do ... ive never seen one

44 minutes ago, vortex said:

also i dont think youd get a 2 meter auto ....... mine grew to about 3 foot max ... tho some will get  a bit higher ....  not 6 foot tho ....or if they do ... ive never seen one

I'm doing a couple of auto strains from Dinafem that are pretty big. Tallest of the Amnesia XXL is 5ft and the smallest of the Critical+ 2.0 is still nearly 3.5ft. Not exactly skinny plants either.

@Sarahnya Autos can be very good for going from seed to weed quickly but you get less control over their overall lifecycle, and mistakes can be more costly than they might be if you were growing photoperiods. That said you can't really go too far wrong providing you have everything you need like extraction, nutrients, temp control etc, and choose a reputable breeder. Oh and of course do plenty of reading up, there's always something more to learn and with each grow it will get significantly easier :)

:smokin:

1 person likes this

35 minutes ago, Fry said:

I'm doing a couple of auto strains from Dinafem that are pretty big. Tallest of the Amnesia XXL is 5ft and the smallest of the Critical+ 2.0 is still nearly 3.5ft. Not exactly skinny plants either.

@Sarahnya Autos can be very good for going from seed to weed quickly but you get less control over their overall lifecycle, and mistakes can be more costly than they might be if you were growing photoperiods. That said you can't really go too far wrong providing you have everything you need like extraction, nutrients, temp control etc, and choose a reputable breeder. Oh and of course do plenty of reading up, there's always something more to learn and with each grow it will get significantly easier :)

:smokin:

Thanks. Its not so much the difference in size it's the difference in high that I'm curious about.  If I smoked Durban Poison auto and photo side by side would I notice much of a difference? 

Just wondered if adding in the auto trait watered down or altered the high itself. If it does I will have a bash at growing the photos but if there's not much difference I'll have a go with the autos. 

I can't comment on that strain as I've never grown it or smoked it. Dutch Passion have some incredible auto genetics going by the diaries in their forum on here though, and autos generally are very good these days, not like they used to be when they first came out.

I'm currently smoking a GSC auto grown outdoors that is probably one of the strongest smokes I have grown. So no, you will notice little to no difference potency wise IMO. It's a shame not to be able to keep cuttings of a plant you really like though, so I would at least consider photoperiods but it depends on your situation.

1 person likes this

2m tall tent is fine for Durban Poison, you can bend it down, top it, train it, all sorts ! 

Autos are a no go for me nowadays, tried a load and they are just no good for yield vs time unless you have some super pro setup.

I am only on grow 14 now and had at least 7 or 8 attempts with autos and it just was not worth it.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Inspiration101 said:

2m tall tent is fine for Durban Poison, you can bend it down, top it, train it, all sorts ! 

Autos are a no go for me nowadays, tried a load and they are just no good for yield vs time unless you have some super pro setup.

I am only on grow 14 now and had at least 7 or 8 attempts with autos and it just was not worth it.

Is this a yield thing or was the high bunk too? 

14 minutes ago, Fry said:

I can't comment on that strain as I've never grown it or smoked it. Dutch Passion have some incredible auto genetics going by the diaries in their forum on here though, and autos generally are very good these days, not like they used to be when they first came out.

I'm currently smoking a GSC auto grown outdoors that is probably one of the strongest smokes I have grown. So no, you will notice little to no difference potency wise IMO. It's a shame not to be able to keep cuttings of a plant you really like though, so I would at least consider photoperiods but it depends on your situation.

That sounds fab. I'm going to have a look at their catalogue. I'm wanting to try lots of energetic strains this time as for my first grow I had NL 1 which was quite chilled. 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Sarahnya said:

Is this a yield thing or was the high bunk too? 

High bunk ? Sorry don't know that phrase.

All the autos were only making it to waist height by the end, the only exceptions were the Red Devil lines from Sweet Seeds.  Even then the yields were very very modest.  For spending an additional 3 to 4 weeks on a regular I easily achieved over twice as much smoke.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Sarahnya said:

Just wondered if adding in the auto trait watered down or altered the high itself. If it does I will have a bash at growing the photos but if there's not much difference I'll have a go with the autos. 

Yeah its the same as fem seeds its been proven that feminised seeds are slightly lower % THC then their regular siblings although most seed banks market them as the same potency, adding a ruderalis into the mix will definitely lower the THC as Ruderalis or low rider has extremely low potency if I remember right the original low rider was between 3 and 5% THC

I smoked some original low rider back in the early 2000's and it was all flavour no high but when the autos started appearing on the market I gave them a go, they yielded less and I could never get as stoned as I do smoking straight regulars,  my BHO was way less potent then normal and even that was a lower yield then normal, I mainly only dab BHO so can tell the difference almost instantly

I honestly don't see the point in autos, most people grow them under 18 or 24 hour light from start to finish so that's an extra 6 - 12 hours of wasted electricity for something that's lower potency and yield

I don't know a single professional grower that will even contemplate using autos in fact if you ever have a chance to visit some of the big grow ops in the Netherlands most (not all) will only start with regulars and then clone the females.

Posted (edited)

NL is a lovely strain, I've just popped a pack of NL regs from Nirvana. I can't wait to sample the smoke, my very first grow was with Nirvana's strains so it's a bit of nostalgia :)

Don't forget to check out Dinafem's strains too, for me they've been consistently the best when it comes to autos, I tried Sweet Seeds and wasn't impressed with their yield either... You are much better off with photoperiods though IMO, autos do have their place but you will get a much more consistent yield cycle with photos and more control over the entire process. Also as has been mentioned the electricity cost can be quite high, especially if you're running 24/0.

E2a: you generally find a higher % of mutants/runts with autos too. Seems to always be one in a pack.

:yinyang:

Edited by Fry

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, Tigstar82 said:

Yeah its the same as fem seeds its been proven that feminised seeds are slightly lower % THC then their regular siblings

I grow a mixture of fems and regs and I don’t notice the fems being less potent. Where has it been proven as it’s the first time I have read that.

Edited by Smokebelch
2 people like this

1 minute ago, Fry said:

NL is a lovely strain, I've just popped a pack of NL regs from Nirvana. I can't wait to sample the smoke, my very first grow was with Nirvana's strains so it's a bit of nostalgia :)

Don't forget to check out Dinafem's strains too, for me they've been consistently the best when it comes to autos, I tried Sweet Seeds and wasn't impressed with their yield either... You are much better off with photoperiods though IMO, autos do have their place but you will get a much more consistent yield cycle with photos and more control over the entire process. Also as has been mentioned the electricity cost can be quite high, especially if you're running 24/0.

:yinyang:

Some of my best grows were with Nirvana seeds,  they were all I could get locally when I first started way back in the day, I still have AK48 that I bred from their seeds, I actually have 2 of them going now

2 people like this