Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Psycho Sid

Unknown bug in runoff (not springtails)

Afternoon People

I have collected the runoff from my trays into a bucket and out of laziness i left it standing overnight before throwing away. when I have gone to chuck it I have noticed that there are thousands of bugs in the bucket. I have no camera atm so cannot take a pic so im hoping from my description someone can point me in the right direction. Plants are looking pretty unhealthy but they are drastically rootbound as they are moving house soon which is easier in 1.5l pots than 6.5s. they are sharing the tent with a tray of assorted seedlings that have been suffering from an unknown root problem, possibly related to these bugs.

The bugs are about 2-4mm long, brownish in colour and are sort of shaped like giant sperm. im pretty sure they are eating bits of leaf that are floating on the top of the water and they have a really weird way of swimming, kind of bending in the middle of their body as they shoot around the bucket. im fairly sure these are not springtails as they are too big and different shaped, and whilst I do have a few fungus gnats kicking about these do not look like gnat larvae to me (could be wrong though?)

im in Coco btw, cheap shitty poundland coco :russian:

Dont be shy, any input welcome :)

Mosquito larvae?

1 person likes this

Like this? Midge larvae can be very similar..

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

fungus gnat larvae?, quite common in coco

Edited by Tigstar82

Oh and don't use poundshop coco,  if you have a Bunnings near you get PlantIt coco,  best iv found so far and zero bugs,  I always used to get bugs when using compressed cheap coco

1 person likes this

Thems the ones @FarmerPalmersNT Thank you mate, im guessing these wouldnt be to blame for any problems with my plants?

yeah the poundshop coco is crap... i figured I would use it as I only needed to fill small pots for now and nearest grow shop is 8 miles away and I dont drive... next time I will be making the walk though as the cheap stuff is more bother than its worth. I put a 10l block of it in a pillowcase to flush it out and after at least 100/150 litres of water the run off still wasnt clear lol

1 person likes this

Can't see them causing your plants problems. Good fish food if you have any.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Psycho Sid said:

Thems the ones @FarmerPalmersNT Thank you mate, im guessing these wouldnt be to blame for any problems with my plants?

yeah the poundshop coco is crap... i figured I would use it as I only needed to fill small pots for now and nearest grow shop is 8 miles away and I dont drive... next time I will be making the walk though as the cheap stuff is more bother than its worth. I put a 10l block of it in a pillowcase to flush it out and after at least 100/150 litres of water the run off still wasnt clear lol

Bags of coco aint too heavy,  man handling a couple of bags for 8 miles will be a good workout for ya :D 

I measured the EC of cheapo blocks of coco and the small 10 litre pound shop blocks were coming in at 4+ EC,  they will kill anything they touch lol

Home bargains do a big block of coco (75 litres if I remember right) and its EC is probably the best of the cheap coco blocks but that still comes in at around 2+ EC but is much better then pound shop blocks and they rinse out better

1 person likes this

haha i managed 10l of nutrients in a backpack walking the whole 16 mile round trip before, never ever am I going to do it again lol 

think im gonna try and stick to the canna from now on, best mate just bought a car so for the first time in my growing career I will have a trustworthy driver... no more tipping taxi drivers £20 and hoping for the best ;)

1 person likes this