Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

SVS does the Sapphire OG and Green Crack again!

17 posts in this topic

Hey guys. I'm back with another HSO diary! After loving the Sapphire OG's so much from my last run - with BOTH phenos coming out cracking, I decided they deserved the RDWC all to themselves for another run. This time they're getting the SCROG net all to themselves. I've upgraded my tent from 1.2mx1.2mx2m to 2mx2mx2m. The difference is massive. I have an 8inch vortex fan and carbon filter (variable), with a 5inch fan for the cooltubes and lots of passive intake holes. Plenty of fans for air movement and plenty of light. Thanks again to @HSO-Mark for providing me with these awesome seeds (amongst some others). Lots more diaries from me to come!

Nutrients being used (at various stages). Never used PK boosters before, going to take it easy with them and introduce to my res for a week or two, from about week three post 12-12.

large.DSCF3110JPG.jpg

This is the SCROG net I'll be using. The string you see on it in this picture is NOT the string on it currently. I've upgraded to some mason line.

large.DSCF3108JPG.jpglarge.DSCF3107JPG.jpg

So off I was! Only problem is... when I originally took the seeds out of their lovely wooden block for my first run, I ended up mixing up the vials and not knowing which strain was which. As I had 3 seeds left of each strain, my only option really was to pop two of each, let them grow a little in the bubblers, then use my eye and experience from last grow to identify the strains and remove the Green Cracks from the system. Don't get me wrong, I loved the Green Cracks, but I loved the Sapphire OG's much more! I'd planned to transplant the GC's from the RDWC system into soil as soon as I was able to differentiate between them with certainty. Here's a photo from just after I'd transplanted the Green Cracks into soil. They're the ones sitting in the slightly larger pots on top of the buckets, far left and bottom right (not the fabric pots).

large.DSCF3093JPG.jpg

They didn't like the transplant too much, and sulked around doing nothing but looking hungry for about a week or so. They soon recovered in time, with a little TLC. Thankfully they had a good head start in the RDWC, so they've ended up at least as large as the other soil plants. Here they are in larger pots, about a week before the flip...

large.DSCF3119JPG.jpglarge.DSCF3122JPG.jpglarge.DSCF3125JPG.jpg

So now the Sapphire OG's have the large RDWC to themselves, they can spread their legs a bit and crack on! IIRC this photo is about a week into the flip. Flipped on 28th May.

large.DSCF3126JPG.jpg

I vegged the lot under a 600W MH conversion bulb, added a second for the first week of flower, then swapped the bulbs out for 2 600W x Omega Super HPS's, and added the MH back into the centre as a third light. Here's my lighting...

large.DSCF3116JPG.jpglarge.DSCF3132JPG.jpg

Did a bit of tweaking with the ducting, trying to shorten the distance that the hot air is travelling. As you can see I've swapped my MH conversions in the cooltubes for the Super HPS, and added a MH back in, onto the cheap winged reflector.

large.DSCF3130JPG.jpg

Here's the current canopy....coming along nicely - although it's been hard to train this time as the shape I'm working with is coming from a line of two plants, rather than a nice sqaure of four plants. Not much more training left before they stop stretching. These aren't big stretchers at all, so I've still ended up with quite the bush rather than flat canopy. We'll get there, but I'm debating how much to strip from the underneath. I'd appreciate some advice from anyone experienced in these things.

Here are my current ambient and res temps. I snapped a top branch from one of the Sapphire OG's while I was training it, so decided to see if I could save it as a cut. Three weeks later she's showing some nice roots.

large.DSCF3138JPG.jpg

Thanks for stopping by, until next time!

SVS

Edited by SevernValleySavant

I think this might be one of the most detailed starts to a diary I have seen :bong: Nice work mate ;)

I know you loved the mango sapphire on the first run and now the screen is in let's see what these 2 strains can do :yep:

Mango has the RDWC to itself so I can not wait to see the explosion of flowers  ;)

This should be a fun one and I'm pulling up my seat for the show  :bong:

Good luck mate and I'll see you in the next update  :headbang:

Kind regards 

Mark..

Edited by HSO-Mark
2 people like this

It's the least I can do for you, Mark. You've been nothing short of a legend.

Here we are at 3 weeks since the flip.

Sapphire OG:

The canopy is filling out nicely. Still stretching a little but it's at the tail end of it. I'm not hugely strict with my training. In fact, this time round I only topped them both once, so the stems and budsites aren't hugely uniform in size. As long as the canopy is flat and I'm maximising light absorption, I'm happy. 

large.dscf3141.jpg

Lots of buds starting to form now. Upped the PPM with increased A+B and added a quarter strength dose of PK13/14. I'm probably going to keep the dosage under half strength throughout, up until the last 3 weeks where I'll omit it from the res change. Not used this stuff before, just going to see if I notice much difference (if any).

large.dscf3156.jpg

Green Crack:

Coming along beautifully! They're both so pretty to look at, the photos really don't do the plants justice. Both have stretched quite a bit (as expected from previous grow), so I'm glad I topped them into four main stems. More heterogeneous than the Sapphire OG's, but there's definitely still a consistency with these plants. I could pick them both out from my other plants instantly. As you can see, the one pheno on the left appears to be slightly more Sativa leaning than the other. She's definitely the tallest in my tent (I tend to grow indica dominant strains), so I'm very glad I topped this one!

large.dscf3151.jpglarge.dscf3150.jpg

Here's another photo of the shorter one, and a budsite... (sorry for hurting your neck, but I'm using the Mrs' Macbook and I f*****g hate them. This is the best I can do right now)

large.dscf3147.jpg

large.dscf3146.jpg

Next update in a couple of weeks!

Edited by SevernValleySavant

@SevernValleySavant Looking good mate, MacBook Pro I use them as I'm a photographer, My wife is the same she hate's them. Horses for courses mate   :skin_up:

3 people like this

I guess it all comes down to what you're experienced with; I've always used windows. 

I had a meltdown the other day because I couldn't figure out how to get back to desktop. I was looking for buttons/icons on the screen, turns out I needed to drag my balls across the mousepad or something to that effect. :rofl:

Not for me! 

36 minutes ago, SevernValleySavant said:

turns out I needed to drag my balls across the mousepad or something to that effect. :rofl:

That sounds painful mate, you be careful dragging your balls about:rofl:

Cracking start tho, plants look A1 :yep:

Take it easy Jj:yinyang:

3 people like this

:rofl: Dragging my balls 

3 people like this

1 hour ago, SevernValleySavant said:

I guess it all comes down to what you're experienced with; I've always used windows. 

I had a meltdown the other day because I couldn't figure out how to get back to desktop. I was looking for buttons/icons on the screen, turns out I needed to drag my balls across the mousepad or something to that effect. :rofl:

I'm not sure if we are quite at the "balls across the mousepad" but I'm sure it's coming in a future update lol

To me it's personal preference. I've always been with Windows and Android. 

I did try to switch to Apple about 6-8 years ago with the iPhone 2. It took a small knock to a corner and that was that. My apple experience finished  :(

I do know some people who will only run Windows others Apple. Down to the user :)

Kind regards 

Mark..

3 people like this

Went into the tent today and noticed that some of the calyx's looked suspiciously swollen, as well as some various pistils browning off before they should.......RED FLAG!!!!

One of the Green Cracks has hermied on me.....the other one has been next to it the whole time so it's taken the brunt of the pollen by the looks of things and is pretty heavily seeded. I've decided to take them both down tonight. I'm gutted.

Onwards and upwards though, even though I can see that the Sapphire OG's have had a little pollen and will throw me a few seeds, it would appear that they're largely unscathed. That'll teach me to be so f*****g lazy when it comes to looking over my plants. Not the end of the world though, the rest of the crop is looking like it's going to come out sweet.

The yield on the one SOG in particular is looking like it's going to be pretty insane! Both are caked in trichomes, just like the last two were. This Sapphire OG is one hell of a strain....if anyone was just starting out growing and they asked me for my recommendation on buying a pack of fems, I'd tell them to get this strain without a doubt. It's consistently outperformed any other strain I've grown so far..... 4 dank plants from 4 seeds.

On 04/07/2018 at 9:28 PM, SevernValleySavant said:

One of the Green Cracks has hermied on me....

Sorry to hear this brother. Never good to have this occur, could the heat been a contributing factor and could you salvage anything from the green crack?

Glad the mango sapphire OG is performing well and that they are relatively unaffected by the pollen from that hermi issue  :bong:

Nice to see you've taken this in your stride and taking the positive from the situation. 

Maybe, after this grow when temps are back to normal you can try the green crack again?

Thanks for the update mate ;)

Kind regards 

Mark..

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, HSO-Mark said:

could the heat been a contributing factor and could you salvage anything from the green crack?

I think so possibly mate. This weather has been taking things to its limits in there. There's a Sapphire OG that's slightly taller than the other and closer to the lights, this heat has caused some pretty crazy foxtailing on a few of the buds. I was gonna raise the lights but they're not getting bleached from being too close so I'll probably just leave them there, fingers crossed it'll get cooler from here on out.

I've dried them but being 5 weeks into flower and seeded, it's not really worth smoking. Might make some butter from them but again, not sure if it's worth it. I'm just grateful that we didn't get that much pollen thrown about the place and I managed to get it out quick.

Alright there @SevernValleySavant 

Thats is not great to hear mate, no one likes a lady boy?  well I speak for myself really each to their own.

Dunno if I would pull it tho, probably carry on for the last few weeks and salvage what i could, making concentrates or hash.

Take it easy mate. Jj:yinyang:

2 people like this

2 hours ago, Jibba jabba said:

Dunno if I would pull it tho

I didn't really have a choice mate as I've got other strains in there flowering. I've got to be ruthless when it comes to hermies, I've ruined an entire crop and 4 months work before by being too complacent with nanas. Fuck that.

16 minutes ago, SevernValleySavant said:

Fuck that.

Oh right, I suppose your right really mate, best not to risk more pollon. I just don’t like the idea for waste, but not that keen on seedy weed, on that note how do you go about de seeding it all? Is it a case if picking it all out by hand? 

Sorry for the interrogation mate, just curious really, I would like to do a few hacks, but don’t want to waste the bud, cheers mate. Jj:yinyang:

2 people like this

56 minutes ago, Jibba jabba said:

how do you go about de seeding it all? Is it a case if picking it all out by hand? 

Sorry for the interrogation mate, just curious really, I would like to do a few hacks, but don’t want to waste the bud, cheers mate. Jj:yinyang:

No worries pal, this is what UK420 is all about innit.

My eyesight and fine motor skills are good so I don't have an issue pulling the seeds out by hand, but you can also get a good lot out just by rolling the buds gently between the palms of your hands, kinda like making a sausage out of putty. Best to get under a good light as well. If you're pulling a significant amount of plant matter out with the seeds (like the surrounding calyx), just give the tub a gentle shake once you've finished filling with seeds and they should separate off from each other.