Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Jonnybee89

Ph rising out of range overnight!!

20 posts in this topic

Ok I've been having problems with the ph rising out of range overnight 

I'm in a nft 604 tank with 8 clones

Everything was going swet untill a week ago..thd oh started rising out of range overnight from 5.8 to 6.5 I would correct it and the same would happen the next day before this I would set the ec at 1 and it would fall through the week untill about 0.4 then a tank change

when the ph  problems started i increased the e.c.to 1.5 thinking the e.c was too low 

There's been no improvement and the plant are looking sick curling leaves and a slight yellowing I've dropped the e.c and gave them a flush over night but the same is happening

Can any body help ? !

Posted (edited)

The roots look ok to me there a slight off white colour but I think it's staining from the feeds

I've been using green haze a+b

Rhizotonic

Pro xl Pro enzymnen (I'm wondering whether this is to blame as the problem started when using this thinking about it now ) 

And nitrozym 

In the current tank I've only added a little a+b giving a e.c 0f .0.5 and set the ph to 5.8 12 hours later the ph is back up to 6.5 and the e.c still at 0.5!!

The ph pen I had was out of calibration untill this tank change where I calibrated it and it was reading 6.5 where it should have been 7 I'm wondering how long this has been going on and weather a build up of salts has occurred by the ph being set at 6.3 and rising to 6.8 if the pen had been out for a while (even tho its only 6weeks old)

Running out of ideas does it sound like root got to anyone ?

I've had a look at the roots and the don't look brown or slimy just off white coulor

Any nft guys out there that can help !!

Wish I stuck to bubblers 

Forgot to mention there 5 weeks in to veg in a scrog I need to flower them asap

Room temps are 20-24

Res temps are 16 -22 

Should I be giving full strength feed as on the bottle ? 

Edited by Jonnybee89

Anybody? 

Posted (edited)

Pictures may help as it is difficult to answer based on the information you have provided.

Going from 1.0e.c to 1.5  in veg is big jump and would lock my girls out straight away......if PH is incorrect then the problem gets worse quick....plants won't be able to absorb certain nutrients and will show this in time in the leaves.

is your system run to waste ?

Like I say if you put some pictures up there are some great growers.....they will offer there support I'm sure 

:yep:

Edited by zen-ken
1 person likes this

I’m no professional and zen-ken himself helped me out in a previous post. PH is everything bro! My pen was a cheap £15 one and the thing was off daily so I invested in a blue lab and to be honest everything from then had been sweet. He’s right about if your ph is off then all sorts can start happening, I had brown roots due to my PH but what was coursing them to turn colour and the leaves started to go alll funky I don’t know some sort of nute block?? 

Get the PH dialled in then go from there. 

2 people like this

large.20180409_212331-747x996.jpg

1 person likes this

This was taken.after 36hrs of darkness being the flowering phase I set the ph yesterday at 5.7 had risen to 6.5 today at a e.c of 1.5

(I read somewhere that the buffering in the nutes work better the more nutes your using not sure if it's true)rest the ph today at 5.8 they seem to be drooping more the further back the tray they get...should I flush them out? And for how long what ph ect

How cold was it in the tent during your 36 hr dark spell ?

Are the ones worst effected closest to the intake  ?

1 hour ago, zen-ken said:

How cold was it in the tent during your 36 hr dark spell ?

Are the ones worst effected closest to the intake  ?

It's around 18 c lights off and 24c lights on the worst 

I have a oscliating fan in 5he room and the intake pulls from vents on all four corners

Posted (edited)

I was speaking to a mate last night who loves NFT......I was discussing your problem and he came the to the conclusion that 8 plants versus a 60 litre res on re circulating is always going to cause problems with the water. (assuming the tank even holds 60)

If you have 8 plants against a 60 litre res thats only 7.5 litres per plant......you should know from your bubbler days that a 7.5 litre bubbler would swing PH all over the place in a big plant.

This wouldn't be a problem until they get to a certain size.

For comparison I have 120 litre res against 4 plants with a 100 litre top up tank.....they struggle to change the water conditions until they are a lot bigger......the 'buff' is the amount of water.

When they are big enough they can change the water in hours.....I have to check twice a day in full flow.

when in Flower they can drink up to 40 litres in a day.... they can change the EC by 0.4 and move the PH a point as they take acid/nutes and unbalance the water (re circulating systems). This would be 75% of your res in a day.

Nitric in veg...phosphoric acid in bloom.....N and P.....when the girls absorb this the PH is bound to move and can also be a  sign of under/overfeeding

When vegging if the PH goes up I smile.... its is removing the nitrogen.....if it goes down I panic....something is wrong.

when running a small res with no top up.....against so many hungry girls keeping the water at the right level is going to require checking multiple times a day  

If the E.C drops they are underfeed...think about it....they are taking nutes quicker than water

If the E.C rises they are over fed.......they are taking water quicker than nutes.

If the tank drops and everything stays the same then they are taking the water and nutes at the same rate .........nirvana 

:yep:

Edited by zen-ken
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

In answer to your other question....yes....I would flush at weak nute solution 0.5 odd E.C and keep that PH at 5.9 even if you have to check it every coupe of hours utill they start taking water again.

This is advice only and please feel free to check it with a more senior member (we are all still learning)

Edited by zen-ken
2 people like this

Yes that makes sense I've wondered what nutes are left and what ph the nutrient solution is by the time it reaches the back of the tray....im going to add another pump further down the tray where they start looking a bit sick to see if that can help as the root matt is about an inch thick down ths bottom half...i started flushing them yesterday set at 0.3 e.c and it raised to 0.5 topped up this morning with water and it's back to 0.3 will see if it raised again and ph has been between 5.5 and 6.5..have got fresh nutes made up at 1.3 e.c and 5.7 ph that has been stable for 24 hours that I wanted to put in the tank tonight would anyone do anything different 

1 person likes this

Excellent post @zen-ken

2 people like this

The extra pump is a great idea....getting fresh nutes to the affected area can only help.

Have they perked right up ? I wouldn't start a heavy feed again until they have or the problem will get worse and can cause all sorts of problems later in flower....I still think you would want them girls reaching for the sky again before you even think about feeding heavy.

The curl has gone from the leaves but there still drooping...and yellowing slightly..witch is making me want to feed again the ph drift seemed to have slowed down just before flushing but I thought a day or two wouldn't hurt if there is a lock out I've turned the flow right up on the pump now aswell witch seemed to improve things i might leave them untill tommoro for the tank change 

1 person likes this