Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sarahnya

PM OT Bloom Still Okay?

I found a few older posts plus this topic on Old Timer Bloom not being as good as it used to be. 

Is this still the same or have they fixed it? 

1 person likes this

I think the formula changed, which has thrown off some people's routines, and they're not getting the same results. 

I last used OT Bloom in late 2015, so can't say if that's the old 'good' formula or the new 'bad' one. Either way, I'd fucked up a few grows before overfeeding Bloom and throwing off the N levels (they get too high). I also had problems with black ash, or an acrid smoke, but that was I think down to mineral salts building up from using bottled evian to feed the plants (yeah I know! Fucking idiot). Now I used Evian for first 2 or 3 weeks to give them silica and plenty of trace minerals, then switch to tap water. 

Why am I mentioning the water? Because I found that all the interactions between different factors really influence the path of the grow. So, with that last grow that produced me loads of top notch, terpene heavy, white ash sweet smoking weed, rock hard huge nugs (looked like 'cali' weed) the main thing I did was USE LESS NUTES THEN OLDTIMER SUGGESTS. Again, I can't say if it was the old or new batch of bloom, but I used it sparingly as fuck, and mixed Grow back in whenever I saw the leaves getting too light. And then I'd just water with pure water if there was even a hint of burn going on. I never really used more than 2ml per l of bloom if I recall right, and one of the plants never got more than 1.5 per litre. Produced some of the best weed I've ever smoked (was Dinafem OG Kush - super Chemdawg, piney style) and I was astonished how much it yielded. 

All the grows previously I had done I'd fed grow and bloom along the lines of what PM/oldtimer suggest in their chart and ALWAYS had problems. Keep an eye on your plants, some will need more, some less, but just err on the side of feeding less rather than more, and if they look hungry give them a boost one or two waterings. 

2 people like this

Also, and I'm not sure if this is important or not (I suspect it is) I used Oldtimer Granules on that last grow that went super well. Maybe people who are using oldtimer nutes who aren't using granules aren't getting as good results. The micro herd is SUPER important. The difference in veg is like night and day, grows with granules and grows without it...

3 people like this

57 minutes ago, Amanojaku said:

Also, and I'm not sure if this is important or not (I suspect it is) I used Oldtimer Granules on that last grow that went super well. Maybe people who are using oldtimer nutes who aren't using granules aren't getting as good results. The micro herd is SUPER important. The difference in veg is like night and day, grows with granules and grows without it...

Thanks for the detailed answer.  I'm on week 5 of my first ever grow with Northern Lights Photo.  I've literally only just started adding grow, I put 2ml per litre in the other nights water.  So far Canna Terra had enough nutrients in but this last week I noticed they looked just a tad paler. 

I'll definitely heed your advice and wait for deficiency to show before I feed again or at least reduce the feed to 1ml per litre. 

I've not got the granules (they are silly expensive) but I did use a broad range of mycorrhizal fungi on each potting up and have put some molasses in already to feed them.  I'm quite a keen gardener, just not used to growing inside but I definitely notice plants take off a hell of a lot faster with fungi than without, which when you're looking for fast results it's worth it. 

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Sarahnya said:

mycorrhizal fungi

i use the above, as a liquid called orca, in soil its 1ml per gallon, and works just as good as p/m granules.

i use the pm bloom still. and ive used it since the start when it first came out. 

its just that now you have to add grow with it in boom to keep them green, like when using bio bizz nutes. 

my p/m organic ot1 bloom stuff i have here smells of sweet tomato's, were as the old one never had that smell. as said above, some plants will only need around 2ml bloom, others are hungry and need from 3ml to 4ml max of bloom. i never go over 4ml bloom, 1ml grow. that's when im growing big plants, in big pots tho, that have been fimed/ pinched out all through veg to produce little bushy's, with 10 plus tops on. :yinyang:

ive found than reducing the bloom down the last week of bud, and using 1m grow, 1m bloom. is bang on for me, then just water only the last week before chop. gives a smooth burn, with no black ash. 

2 people like this

Plant Magic bloom formula seems thin and watery compared to Biobizz bloom. Not used Old Timer but its the same company.

Only used for last week so cannot say one way or the other how PM or OT might work. I'm ditching it though because compared to Biobizz it seems like someone has watered it down by 70% just by how it looks in water. Biobizz darkens the water with just 1ml per litre. Plant Magic, you can pour 4ml per litre and its still pretty clear.

I supplement my soil with worm casting, bat shit and sometimes seaweed.

Good stuff :-) 

One last thing I'll add, that I remember reading here from Oldtimer himself - and that's that, with organic soil grows, you can't 'flush' them once the plant has 'incorporated' too much nutrients into its structure. Clearly, trace elements build up and hang around in the cells. You're stuck. Flushing the medium may reduce buildup of salts and whatnot for the remainder of the grow, but if you overfed previously then you're plant will have that nutey-ferty taste that 'not flushed properly' hydro has. I'm not even certain how flushing works in hydro, because as Oldtimer pointed out, when the plant has utilised an extreme amount of nutrients, then things aren't going to be right at a cellular level, and thus the final bud tastes shitty, even if it looks top notch, and smells top notch. Most weed on the street is like this - too many nutes were used. I was amazed at how clean and sweet the smoke was when I did the grow with seriously dialed back nute levels. I smoke my weed pure, so really can tell when growers use too much ferts - and it's sooooo common. 

There may well be other factors involved, and you may get a loss in yield....but your bud will be the sweetest you've ever had if you're careful with feeding!