Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Growgreen

Droopy leaves in nft

21 posts in this topic

Hello all, hopefully someone can help me out a little. Can’t upload pics so I’ll try my best to describe my issue. Basically introduced my three seedlings to my nft tray about four weeks back. For the first 2-3 weeks everything looked great, growing fast and furious, steady 0.5-0.6 ec, ideal res temps, 20-22. However the last 7-10 days the middle girl in the tray had lower leaf droopage, teamed with drying out, crispy leafs, only the lower ones though. Then the mid leaves started curling. Now all three have gone really droopy, and I’m a touch flummoxed. The res temp has risen to about 23, so I currently have water bottles freezing ready to add, and the ec has been dropping. Increased it to 0.8, but dropping by about half a ec daily. Just emptied the res, and currently have a new lot of water circulating ready to start feeding the roots again once the ec has settled and I get an accurate reading in an hour or so. Also I have an airstone that I’m thinking of adding as well, and will be removing the dry leaves imminently. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions at all? In a 1.2x1.2x2m tent. 6” rvk with rhino pro filter, five inch intake and a clip on fan. In an outside shed. Any help is, as always, most welcome and gratefully received. 

Thanks,

GG

@stu914, you got any ideas, mate? 

@Growgreen

Hi bud, sounds like an issue with the roots. Might have some standing water on the nft table caused by the roots damming up the channels as they've got bigger.

Certainly sounds like lack of oxygen somewhere, how often are you running the feed pump?

Posted (edited)

Cheers for the reply, stu, no one else had commented and I know you run nft and have helped me in the past so thought I’d tag you, hope that was ok. The feed pump is on constantly, just over a drip. It’s as low as it can go. Was contemplating raising the pump end a touch to increase the flow over the roots to see if that helps. Have raised the light a bit as well to see if that helps. The middle girls top has perked up a bit today, so hopefully that’s the start of things improving. I’m going to open up as many passives and vent holes as I can and cover the ends with tights to just give the whole environment a bit more air. Thanks again for your help, you’re a star. 

Edited by Growgreen
1 person likes this

Sorry bud I don't run nft......glad to help if I can though.....

Had nightmares over that system for years, and every time I went to the growshop for advice they sold me more snake oil......:wallbash:Now I grow DWC...

.....I would be tempted to put the feed pump on a timer, 15 mins every two or three hours, see if they perk up.

the "oxygen" I'm referring to is in the root zone not the room, so raising the end might also help.......:yep:

:oldtoker:

1 person likes this

Why did I think you ran nft? I must be losing it...again. Haha. Thanks anyway, mate. @Freaxany ideas? 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Still looking limp. Boo! Changed res to plain water yesterday, all vents opened with ducting and extraction turned up this morning to see if that makes any difference. Really running out of ideas. Only plus side is the roots looking fine, trunks thickening up, and new growth appearing slowly. Hopefully they’ll come back. 

Edited by Growgreen

Ok, so just reintroduced nutes, going at 0.6 ec, the only thing left that I can think of is ph, as I’ve no way of testing this. Thinking of changing to the Sensi nutes that don’t need ph-ing, past this I’m stumped. Ever since I upgraded my gear my grows have got progressively worse, whereas with the experience I now have it should be getting better. I’ve trimmed off all the yellow leaves, which were all early fan leaves, and there is new growth appearing; just moving slowly. This whole thing is really doing my swede in. The only other possible explanation I can come up with is the seeds were a dodgy group, but being as I purchased direct from sweet seeds I find this hard to believe. They’re crystal candy and sweet cheese just in case anyone wondered. 

1 person likes this

I would certainly recommend sensi nutes, I've been using them for several years and getting good results, no yellow leaves at all and never ph'd.

1 person likes this

humidity? lack of?

1 person likes this

Could be I suppose. Think it’s about 35% humidity in there. How do I push that up? Never had to do it before. Just been to my local grow shop and got som Sensi nutes as well. Hopefully they’ll spring back to life. I’ll go on the new nutes in a week when I change the res. Cheers. GG

3 hours ago, Growgreen said:

the only thing left that I can think of is ph, as I’ve no way of testing this.

I would change the res straight away mate, just noticed you're not checking ph and this is critical for plant's uptake of nutes......

Starting on sensi at about 1/4 strength should show an improvement fairly quickly, if it does then ph was almost certainly the problem.

Don't worry about humidity, as the plants recover they will transpire more and humidity will rise......:yep:

1 person likes this

Will do it tomorrow, on the beer now! Will get the ec at 0.6-0.7 and see how they go. Cheers, stu, appreciate all your help. 

1 person likes this

Just changed the res and put them back on to feed. Used 5ml a+b in 15litres water. Coming out just a shade over 0.5ec, hopefully we’ll see an improvement in the coming days. Fingers crossed everyone!!! 

Time for an update. Two of them have perked up, and bar the yellow that was already on them they’ve not got any worse. Very little growth, and what has appeared seems a lot lighter coloured than the rest. The third one, first on the tray is still droopy but looks healthy. Going to give them a res change later, this time with 6.5ml a&b in 15l. Also the bloke at the grow shop gave me a sample pack of biosys, plant tea apparently, but not tried it yet, anyone else used it? Think the slow growth may be down to recovery and the fact the weathers been cold again down here in the south west. Let’s hope they wake up and pull their fingers out a bit!