Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bazil brush

growing by a busy road

growing vegetables in a garden by a busy road, is it healthy, i breathe that shit every day im not running a carbon filter, sometimes i do, will the veg absorb crap?

1 person likes this

Loads of allotments, gardens, nurseries  are by roads. If it was a plot right by Junction 1 to the M1, or the entry or exit to the Dartford tunnel I might be worried but not really. Little confused about the CF and growing veg.

3 people like this

Before catalytic converters, I always wondered how much free nitrogen fertiliser such plots were receiving.

At least there isn't the lead these days.

3 people like this

1 hour ago, Ital said:

Loads of allotments, gardens, nurseries  are by roads. If it was a plot right by Junction 1 to the M1, or the entry or exit to the Dartford tunnel I might be worried but not really. Little confused about the CF and growing veg.

i run cf in my front room, sure it must eat some of the nasty, loads of black stuff goes on the windows.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, cultivateur said:

Before catalytic converters, I always wondered how much free nitrogen fertiliser such plots were receiving.

At least there isn't the lead these days.

Lead isn't something that that gos away, if it's right next to a busy trunk road I'd think about having the soil tested for it.. other than that a good wash before eating anything would be wise.

4 people like this

@nl5

Indeed. Thanks to Thomas Midgley Jnr, who could be seen as the most planetary/human harm causing organism to have ever existed. Hitler, mosquito's, pretty much anything you can think of hasn't got shit on this guy...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.

2 people like this

Boom Boom my little furry friend , you will be fine , you can test the soil if you want but why not build raised beds and then fill with manure from a farm yard and top it with a few cheap grow bags then the first year no root veg as they don't like fresh manured to grow in , but once year one is over dig it over and throw in some chicken pellet winter and then in the spring you can grow anything but rotate the bed so do 4 beds year 1 ,bed a root stuff , bed b lettuce and so on and so on and then the next year move them to other beds .

we have a large garden and have a huge amount of veggies enough to supply my neighbour and there 4 grown children who also have families lol the kids love our fresh strawberries to .

Mate just grow it and wash before you eat simple far less chemicals than the ones in the shops plus grow a lettuce then get one from the store and serve them both on plates and taste the difference you will never look back .

stay safe grow well

ps you can make raised beds from old pallets or as i have done make quality ones from deckboards and line it with nylon membrane and they will last you many many years

3 people like this

@noddy cheers man, we should start a band or something.