Most reliable way to germinate please?

Hi Growers

WARNING I am yet to grow anything ever

This is what I have at the moment.

Room for 2 plants in room

Guanokalong complete mix (recommended by grow shop)

15L fabric pots

Propogator

Clear plastic pots

Root Riot starter cubes

3x skywalker haze auto

1x forbidden fruit

I intended to just plonk the seeds straight into the medium in a 15L fabric pot and place a plastic pot upside down over the top, as its my first attempt im just looking for less hassle as I dont want to re-pot if I can help it as my confidence with plants is 0 at present. However, after visiting the grow shop they suggested starting the seeds in a Root Riot starter cube and place in an incubator, wait for some roots to protrude then place into the 15L pots, is it worth the extra bit of hassle and use the Root Riot?.

Also should I expect dud seeds so plant them all even though I only have enough room for 2 to grow?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

These are the pots I intended to cover the seed with in the 15L pots, they are 13cm diameter X 13cm tall

large.image0(3).jpeg

These are the 15L pots

large.image0(2).jpeg

This is the incubator and starter cubes

large.image1(3).jpeg

Edited by moodybud
  • Like 4

I used to run the Guanakalong range for a couple of years, well the grow/bloom...if I remember rightly the Grow had no phosphorus in was literally an NK fertiliser. Not sure about the soil, looks funky. Did they recommend any nutes?

Edited by Dank Dad
  • Like 2

Hello mate. With the autos, as soon as they start to appear, pop them straight in the big pots. 15L can support some pretty big plants if you have the space. Also, no need to cover them with those plastic tubs. It's more clones that need the high humidity. 

You may not need to feed until mid flowering in the Guanokalong soil but their Kalong bloom contains little to no phosphorus so should work quite well with the bat soil stuff.

Soak the big pots and let them stand for a day or two before planting the seedlings then once it starts to dry out, try not to overwater, a little at first and gradually increase the amount as the plants grow. Keep them warm and cosy. That's my 2p.

Best of luck. 

• Like 3

This is my way to germinate a seed,

Paper towel or bog roll, towel is better because it's thicker.

Plastic container with lid, sort of thing you would use to store food in the fridge.

Place paper in tube and wet, put seeds onto the paper and fold over to cover seeds or lay another layer on top, lid on then place in a warm place airing cupboard is good or something alike.

Once seeds start to sprout their little root, may take a day or 2 place seedling in starter cubes and put into propagator putting that somewhere warm, once heads pop up give them a couple of days then you can move them into pots.

At this point people go for their full size pots or a smaller intermediate size, it's your choice, I went smaller

That's how i germinated my seed :fart:

• Like 3

Hi,

I soak my seeds in room temp water for upto 24 hrs then I transfer to damp (not wet) root riot cubes in a tray and then put them on a heat mat. I've always had 100% success rate recently with my beans doing it this way. Just make sure the cubes don't dry out. After a week or so I put the seedlings into 7l pots with 70/30 coco/perlite mix until they get strong and then I transfer them to 20l fabric pots.

• Like 6

If the seeds aren't old then placing them in compost or your root riots is the best way, they'll only take a couple of days to sprout.

It's a propagator btw :P 

• Like 5

Root cubes aren't an extra hassle imo. You'll find it alot easier to keep them warm until they sprout than in a massive pot.

Personally I stick them straight into cubes on a heat mat. If you don't have a heat mat the lid of the propagator will help with temps for a few days but get it off as soon as they've popped or they'll be susceptible to damping off

• Like 5

I soak my seeds for about 24 hours in a shot glass with lukewarm water then straight into little starter pots of compost 

I give the pots a little water and put them in the corner of the tent to warm up when the seeds go in the shot glass

Just started some 10+ year old seeds and got 100% 

• Like 5
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi thanks for all the help

I put 2 seeds in some water in a dark warm room and both seeds provided a taproot but one was slow and eventually failed ( pics in my growdrobe diary )

I binned that one and replaced with a different strain, I didnt bother with the water, just put in soil covered with a plastic pot and it popped out last night, took 2 days which was faster than the water method.

Thought I would try a different method to see what happens and learn as I go, eager to get a load more seeds now I have more confidence.

Cheers

• Like 3

@moodybud

Yeah seeds are my nemesis for some reason.

I , usually, just pop them in moist compost and cover over now. In a small grow area kept nice and warm with a heat mat on an inkbird.

Works really well.

Make sure your environment is spot on and compost is good, not too wet and not cold.

Once we have some decent weather, a window sill spot is good.

Good luck!!

Fry 

• Like 4
Just now, Giventofry said:

@moodybud

Yeah seeds are my nemesis for some reason.

I , usually, just pop them in moist compost and cover over now. In a small grow area kept nice and warm with a heat mat on an inkbird.

Works really well.

Make sure your environment is spot on and compost is good, not too wet and not cold.

Once we have some decent weather, a window sill spot is good.

Good luck!!

Fry 

Yeah I can see why people do multiple seeds and expect some duds. Things to consider for next time.

• Like 4

Assuming the seeds are viable and have been properly stored----

They just need to be wet and warm.  It doesn't really matter how you get there.   Don't get too wrapped up in reading shit on the internet for germination. 

Remember that these seeds are designed to fall on the ground, freeze for a winter and then germinate when it's warm and it rains.  That's it, really.  

I've dropped hundreds of seeds into a pot and sprayed the top of the soil, twice a day, until they show their head. it works fine. 

Alternately, I've soaked a paper towel in tap water, put seeds inside of it, and stored it in a ziploc bag. 

I've soaked them for 24 hours in tap water and planted directly into soil

I've soaked in 1tablespoon of peroxide mixed in 8oz water then into paper towels, then into soil. 

Just make sure they're wet and warm.  That's what matters.  The peroxide is a nice touch for some kill-bad-shit benefits as well as something to do with the extra oxygen atom and science and math and maybe some voodoo.  I think there's a witch doctor involved, too. 

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, Cajafiesta said:

Assuming the seeds are viable and have been properly stored----

They just need to be wet and warm.  It doesn't really matter how you get there.   Don't get too wrapped up in reading shit on the internet for germination. 

Remember that these seeds are designed to fall on the ground, freeze for a winter and then germinate when it's warm and it rains.  That's it, really.  

I've dropped hundreds of seeds into a pot and sprayed the top of the soil, twice a day, until they show their head. it works fine. 

Alternately, I've soaked a paper towel in tap water, put seeds inside of it, and stored it in a ziploc bag. 

I've soaked them for 24 hours in tap water and planted directly into soil

I've soaked in 1tablespoon of peroxide mixed in 8oz water then into paper towels, then into soil. 

Just make sure they're wet and warm.  That's what matters.  The peroxide is a nice touch for some kill-bad-shit benefits as well as something to do with the extra oxygen atom and science and math and maybe some voodoo.  I think there's a witch doctor involved, too. 

Yep this was my problem getting started and why I just replaced the dud with one straight into the soil. So many opinions on it saying different things.

As others have said its going to be a learning curve for the first grow so I may as well use this to my benefit ready for grow number 2.

Cheers

• Like 3

I only ever plant straight into soil , I like to keep things as simple as posible. They never realy fail as long as the soils warm, I germinated some 5 year old seeds recently with no problems just putting them in soil.

• Like 5

After 12 hours soaking in water transfer onto a paper towel, fold it and put inside a baggy (undone)

Then place near your laptop fan exit (on the left) and in 4 hours or so you will have shoots  coming

It's never taken longer than 24 hours from packet to planting :-)

Edited by ThailandTony
  • Like 2