Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hogro

What self feeding system??

Evening all....

I’ve been growing for a few years now using Coco and concistently hitting 1gr a watt but would like to move onto a self feeding system....

I’m occasionally struggling to feed them when they require it with my working pattern so would like a system I could leave a few days at a time (2/3 Days).

I've looked into Auto pots and RDWC...

RDWC seams a shed load of effort and requiring additional costs like a cooler... 

Auto pots seam the sensible option but need to watch the lines for blockages. 

What do people recommend from there experiences? 

My my room is 1.9m L x 1.9m W x 2.6m H so have please of head room so any system and usually have 12 plants 3 per light...

Thanks peeps 

1 person likes this

Check out the 'Automated Feeding' thread at the top of the Coco sub-forum. Loads of info in there about feeding coco via drippers, worth a look as you're already experience with coco?

3 people like this

Been looking at using wicks in coco, hand feeding from the top still though, but using wicks to stop it drying between feeds. Just don't know what material is best for the wicks. Done a test on a small pot of dry coco with some jute string wicking up and it works do a degree, the coco is wet 24hrs later but patchy. I could live with that because I have times where the coco might dry out completely without... But jute string won't be enough for 11 pots :unsure:

Would nft spreader matt be any good at wicking? maybe worth trying @Chester Copperpot

1 person likes this

I would say RDWC all the way, but I'm biased.

its a bit of work to set up, and a bit of expense, but the growth rates are worth it imo.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, ursus1000 said:

Would nft spreader matt be any good at wicking? maybe worth trying @Chester Copperpot

I've yeah about them, capillary matting?? I want the wicks to feed through the coco, right to the top maybe a centimeter just under the surface. Unless I could cut strips out the matting, I don't know. What you reckon?

@Chester Copperpot thats what I was thinking mate.I've never tried wicking tho,so no experience I'm afraid.

1 person likes this

On 02/02/2018 at 11:34 AM, badbillybob said:

I would say RDWC all the way, but I'm biased.

its a bit of work to set up, and a bit of expense, but the growth rates are worth it imo.

I would love to try DWC but don’t fancy sinking so much money into it... for example a chiller, plus the noise created...

DWC would be a money no object setup. I can imagine it being a 4KW grow with everything on... not sure my plugs would take it haha

1 person likes this

On 01/02/2018 at 11:29 AM, dingo bingo said:

Check out the 'Automated Feeding' thread at the top of the Coco sub-forum. Loads of info in there about feeding coco via drippers, worth a look as you're already experience with coco?

Sound thanks!! I’ll take a look and see...

would a coco / perlite mix help with those plants that just drink more than the rest? 

tropf blumats are the answer to your problems.

no more electricity needed just gravity.

I used to find IWS with 60/40 coco and pebbles pretty effortless 

1 person likes this

On 2/3/2018 at 6:28 PM, Hogro said:

Sound thanks!! I’ll take a look and see...

would a coco / perlite mix help with those plants that just drink more than the rest? 

I used to use clay pebbles in the coco to aerate it but it was a pain in the arse to reuse and wasteful to bin it after each crop. For ages now I have just used 100% coco, and I'm sure a lot of very experienced coco growers do too. I run 4 x 11L pots under a 600 fed via Top Spin drippers (which I highly recommend), during flower the 11L pots want 2-3L a day to get the desired 10-20% run off. Size of pump isn't important and duration of irrigation just depends on how long it takes to achieve the 10-20% run off.

If you only run a few plants you could put 'inline taps' (valves) between plants to isolate certain plants to either water them more or less - you'd need to DIY some drippers then being careful to get equal lengths etc to balance the pressure (as Top Spin does for you). Or just hand water the hungry girls with feed from the butt?