Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ilikebigbuds

Any sparkies kicking about???

18 posts in this topic

I'm having issues with light bulbs blowing all over the house, replaced 5 bulbs in the last 12 days :headpain:i'm in flower with 3 x 600w + an 8" 140w rvk and 4 x 50w desk fans. lights are through a 3kw contactor. worried other appliances or electrical items may start blowing as well? or worse? this happen to anyone else?

are they all plugged into the same sorce /plug socket ? if yes then you need to split it into 2 seperate plug sockets. your using more than 2kw there, and when 3 x 600w hps start up, they draw a crapload more watts to ignite the bulb. 

1 person likes this

yeh they 3 lights are through a 3kw 4 way contactor. 2 of the 3 ballasts are sunmaster with soft start technology? so instead of using 4.5 amps upon start up thats halved with the soft start? you suggesting i should buy another contactor and move one of the 600's? cheers for the reply mate

i would say that i 1kw contactor for the 1 x 600w and have your other with the 2 x 600w plugged in, as you said mate. 

its allways best to have a rcd board/ sep fuse breaker/ on your fuseboard. can tell i ain't a sparky hey. lol 

and use that for your lights/ fans, through your contactor. 

wait for someone else to come along before you buy a next contactor. as it may not be needed. 

i think you can put 2 plug sockets into one somehow, if you get my drift. so use both sockets to power one, taking more watts. 

i think the max per socket is 2000w /2kw. or there abouts. 

i melted the socket on the wall running a 1.5kw oil rad and a 600w hps through a extension leed that was rated at 3kw fully unwound. 

the socket had cracked rite through on the wall, and had a brown scorch mark on. 

i had to run the oil rad on one plug socket and another socket for my contactor/ lights. all was good then. :yinyang:

it maybe a falty wire elsewhere in your house ? has your trip switch been flipping the leccy off at all ? 

that's what used to happen when i was overloading my plug socket that burnt. 

stay safe mate, and all the best with it. i am sure someone will be along shortly with a solution that is cheap. 

Edited by smokie1 b c f c
1 person likes this

50 minutes ago, smokie1 b c f c said:

its allways best to have a rcd board/ sep fuse breaker/ on your fuseboard

haha aye i get your drift mate not sure of all the correct terminology either or the best way to proceed as this is 1st time running the 3x 600w although i do usually run two in late veg/flower but its only happened a couple of times just running the two in the past but never as regular as it has been since switching on the 3rd 12 days ago.....5 bulbs man and bulbs ain't cheap i mean i aint a super scrimper more a smart shopper so going to need a big crate of bulbs from costco or makro if this keeps up.

so to recap i have a 3kw 4 way contactor plugged in to a double wall socket which i have 2 sunmaster soft start tech ballasts and one maxibright digi. the two sunmasters come on then 5 mins later my maxibright fires up.... all fans are run through a separate single socket with a 4way ext lead (non surge protected)

if its just bulbs that is going to blow i can live and deal with that.... just worried in case my tv blows or some other expensive electrical device.....

50 minutes ago, smokie1 b c f c said:

has your trip switch been flipping the leccy off at all ?

no it hasn't tripped anything down at the main fuse box. the kitchen light the hall light top of stairs light and the bathroom light are all the lights that have blown

just went had a look at fuse box my sockets are protected with a 32a breaker? sounds plenty? guessing thats nothing to do with ?:ermm::headpain::skin_up:

Edited by ilikebigbuds

Although I'm no sparky , @botanics is so hopefully he'll pop by with some input , stay safe 

:yinyang:

1 person likes this

yeah botanics has saved my life at least twice lol 

But, can I suggest buying LED bulbs for round the house buddy. I bought a multi pack of ten online. They really do save quite a bit on electric costs, the wattages are a fraction of normal bulbs, mine are all 10w and as yet I've replaced none in 2 years of running them.

We also replaced the tv for a second hand LED one a while back that again saved a good chunk of ££££££ over my old (but beautiful) plasma.

Good luck with your issues mate.

3 people like this

I don't see what's wrong...contactor is rated at 3000KW an running the lights without burning the relay out....sockets are fused at 32A if a ring, which most are now after modern installations and you can pull up to 13A through each outlet via plugs as that's the top rate of fuse that go in them.

Always use logic mate and think about what it is that's happening...you've noticed that the house lamps are all dying at the same time then don't rule out the possibility of them all being replaced at the same time and obsolescence has been reached ;)

They last so long and that's it with light bulbs...legacy of a certain Mr Edison, the grabbin bastard :yep:

7 people like this

I’m guessing you’ve got crap bulbs. 

Edited by VikingDee
2 people like this

Lights should be on a completely different circuit to plug sockets and have separate breakers, how old is the fuse box? 

3 people like this

Normal incandescent bulbs are crap and will fail after being switched on and off a certain number of times - if you replaced all your bulbs at roughly the same time, like when you moved in or so, then they will all go at roughly the same time... That's pretty much as much as I know about light bulbs and even then, I fear I am repeating whats been said!

Hope you sort it out and find peace of mind!

:v:

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, botanics said:

I don't see what's wrong...contactor is rated at 3000KW an running the lights without burning the relay out....sockets are fused at 32A if a ring, which most are now after modern installations and you can pull up to 13A through each outlet via plugs as that's the top rate of fuse that go in them.

Always use logic mate and think about what it is that's happening...you've noticed that the house lamps are all dying at the same time then don't rule out the possibility of them all being replaced at the same time and obsolescence has been reached ;)

They last so long and that's it with light bulbs...legacy of a certain Mr Edison, the grabbin bastard :yep:

im confused too, my kitchen light has went twice led 10w and it was new bulb the 2nd time it went thanks for your guys help anyway its been a disaster since i fucking started the world has been against me and the world is gona fucking lose. i'll go about with a head torch if i have to. not giving up on this even tho i want to jack the lot and theyre 2 weeks in 12/12

2 hours ago, Saddam said:

Lights should be on a completely different circuit to plug sockets and have separate breakers, how old is the fuse box? 

yeh thats right. not sure house was built 30 years ago so probably 30 year old i guess looks original anyway

1 hour ago, ilikebigbuds said:

im confused too, my kitchen light has went twice led 10w and it was new bulb the 2nd time it went thanks for your guys help anyway its been a disaster since i fucking started the world has been against me and the world is gona fucking lose. i'll go about with a head torch if i have to. not giving up on this even tho i want to jack the lot and theyre 2 weeks in 12/12

Right mate, we need to establish what it is that is going wrong because it's no good not understanding the problem if worrying comes of it ;)

It seems you've done things right, you've put your lamps on a suitable contactor, you have them coming on in a time staged way to avoid surge over current, the total when running is ok for the 32A circuit, you also have the lights on one outlet and the fans off another so splitting the load :unsure:

Could be just a box of dodgy LED lamps mate...it does happen and if you've bought a batch etc, well then this is where I'd look first tbh...replace with a different brand and see first :yep:

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, botanics said:

Right mate, we need to establish what it is that is going wrong because it's no good not understanding the problem if worrying comes of it ;)

It seems you've done things right, you've put your lamps on a suitable contactor, you have them coming on in a time staged way to avoid surge over current, the total when running is ok for the 32A circuit, you also have the lights on one outlet and the fans off another so splitting the load :unsure:

Could be just a box of dodgy LED lamps mate...it does happen and if you've bought a batch etc, well then this is where I'd look first tbh...replace with a different brand and see first :yep:

listen mate i greatly appreciate you taking the time out of your saturday evening to try and resolve this for me, top boy. i've actually bought 3 x 2 packs of bulbs at separate times all different brand. the only led bulbs are in the kitchen so next time one goes in the other room i shall replace with leds also. as long as i know its not a warning sign that something is seriously wrong i may have to just live with replacing bulbs lol anyway appreciate the assistance boys

2 people like this