Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vamp

Germination problems

17 posts in this topic

Hi all as the title states I'm having problems popping some seeds.

i put two packs of seeds in a some glass's of water just under a couple of days ago, one whole pack have popped (Girl scout cookies) whereas only one seed has popped from the second pack (super lemon haze GHS).

With regards to the pack that hasn't popped, I put them in the glass of water just under 48 hours ago and despite them falling to the bottom of the glass within 12 hours, they still haven't opened, they do seem to have quite thick shells but it does seem to be quite a long time so I'm panicking a bit in case they start to rot internally so just took them out of the water and put them between two pieces of kitchen roll.

is this an unusually long amount of time to pop? can anyone offer some advice with my situation? Sorry for the relatively amateur question, I've not popped seeds for over 5 years and I'm having problems sourcing information as I'm unfamiliar with the new format on here. 

Thanks in in advance for the help guys.

Vamp x

Edited by vamp

Hi mate @vamp

Can take upto 10/14 days for a seed to getminate, depending on the moon and a few other things. 

I'd suggest planting straight into compost (or chosen medium) and leaving them. 

12 minutes ago, vamp said:

I put them in the glass of water just under 48 hours ago and despite them falling to the bottom of the glass within 12 hours, they still haven't opened, they do seem to have quite thick shells but it does seem to be quite a long time so I'm panicking a b

Got to ask. Why are you drowning them? 

The glass of water thing is to check if they are viable. Not to germinate. 

A seed will effectively drown under water for too long. 

If they sink after a few hours, they should be ok. If they float, even after a poke, chances are they're dud. I'd still plant it though. 

If seeds are old, or particularly tricky to germinate you can try scarification. But this is rarely needed with bought cana seeds. 

I've also read (from DP Tony) that soaking seeds can actually toughen up certain seeds stopping them germinate. 

Just put them in a pot of damp medium. Cover. Keep warm. Leave. 

The whole tissue and plate thing is a waste of time too, causing damage to micro roots etc.

Going off on one a bit now but.. 

lol

Nice one, 

Tigs :guitar:

4 people like this

What i have tried recently is to presoak my seeds with seaweed extract. After treatment i planted them into compost (not to deep) and put them into a heated propagator. 4 days later 3 of the 4 seeds sprouted followed by the 4th on the 5th day. Fastest germination for me so far.

Presoaking Seeds With Seaweed Extract

Virtually all seeds presoaked in a dilute seaweed-extract solution for 30 minutes have a better germination rate than untreated seeds. Scientists think that something in the seaweed may increase the respiratory activity of the seeds. To treat seeds, stir 1/4 teaspoon (1ml) of extract into 1 quart/1 liter of luke-warm water. Do not use a more concentrated solution and don't soak for more than 30 minutes, or the benefits will be lost. In some cases, it may be easier to simply mist the seeds with that same mixture, about 30 minutes before planting. Seeds presoaked in a seaweed extract tend to have faster root growth after they sprout, as well.

I got this info from somewhere cant remember where but credit where its due.

Good luck!

2 people like this

Thanks very much for the response guys.

@tigseyjnr I know it sounds a bit strange mate (as I was also worried about drowning them at first) but I used to have 95-100% germination rates and see a taproot at the bottom of the glass within 24 hours but that certainly isn't the case this time, do you think I may of murdered the little sods where I had them in there for about 40 hours?

im going to try your advice and put them straight in the medium now (light mix) and hope for the best, should I have them in darkness to begin with? Or should I get my T5 above them straight away?

thanks again for your advice mate. 

Vamp x

Just now, vamp said:

do you think I may of murdered the little sods where I had them in there for about 40 hours?

I dont know mate. They might be fine. 

Plant them and see :yep:

2 minutes ago, vamp said:

t I used to have 95-100% germination rates and see a taproot at the bottom of the glass within 24 hours but that certainly isn't the case this time

Fair enough. But very often they can take a few days to pop, so being at the bottom of a glass of water isn't ideal. They need air as well as water. 

Hope they're OK though. Always fancied doing some SSH. Reminds me of being 18 and in Amsterdam. 

Tigs :guitar:

1 person likes this

dont give up on them yet, being super lemon haze there probly old seeds. i have had seeds pop after 4 to 5 days in kitchen roll

i never plant them into soil/ coco untill they have a good inch or 2 long taproot.

all so dont let them soak for more than 24 hours in water, your rite about them rotting. 

a scratch with a pice of sandpaper before germing can work wonders for old seeds. just line a small box or tub with sand paper, and give them a shake.

youl find good old seaweed works wonders on seeds, vegging plants. i allways spray and feed seaweed on every grow in veg. 

2 people like this

Thanks mate, sorry to be a pain but what would you suggest with regards to the T5 or darkness?

will keep posted on how it goes. 

Cheers bro. 

Vamp x

2 people like this

@vamp

doesnt matter, but I like to have them under a light for warmth and immediate light when they pop up. 

@Mekoz

I'm a big fan of seaweed mate and don't doubt the benefits of using it. 

35 minutes ago, Mekoz said:

Fastest germination for me so far.

But I doubt the seaweed sped up germ time. 

Do you follow the moon? 

In my experience, if you Plant a seed around full/new moon it will be up within 24hours. 

Edited by tigseyjnr
4 people like this

hi mate. get them under the t5. a good 3 inch from the bulb at first, then when they have started to root out there cubes/pots move the t5 as close as possible. 

all the best with them. remember to use a wet/dry watering cycle. :yinyang:

2 people like this

@tigseyjnr so it's ok to have my light on above the seeds when they are in the medium before the seeds have cracked?

sorry mate, I've got a bit confused :spliff:

Vamp x

yes vamp, have the t5 turned on, as he said it gives them a little warmth from the bulb, and the seeds will pop upto the light. :yinyang:

3 people like this

24 minutes ago, tigseyjnr said:

Do you follow the moon? 

In my experience, if you Plant a seed around full/new moon it will be up within 24hours. 

@tigseyjnr That sounds pretty cool. It is something i have been meaning to try out, on my allotment.

2 people like this

Thanks @smokie1 b c f c I'll try that and thank you for all your advice on this matter. 

Vamp x

1 person likes this

its all good vamp. its what uk420 is all about, helping each other grow the best possible herb:yinyang:

all the best with the new seeds, the girl scout cookies sound up my street. im currently smoking some auto cookies from dutch passion, real candy shop sweet smell and one that's full on blueberry.:smoke:loads of resin on them,more than some of my photo strains buds. 

5 people like this

@Mekoz. Maybe treat yourself to a biodynamic calendar. The results speak for themselves :yep:

@smokie1 b c f c the blimburn seeds Girl Scout Cookies I've got is seriously strong. I have to put every joint down halfway thru :smokin:

3 people like this