Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

cocopips

Who pays these crazy prices?

213 posts in this topic
6 hours ago, NezA said:

Looks like people are willing to pay those prices even users on these boards... 

Like I said if it sells at that price it's actually really good business. Like Apple I guess even though their product is inferior its marketed and priced as though it's the best thing ever and people pay the money and even fight tooth and nail to defend the company that's ripping them off... 

Humans are strange creatures... 

I wouldn't be paying that price, I know someone who's been given a clone and so if I wanted I could get some for my next run. I didn't know what they sold for or anything just thought have access to it if I want it and it looked pretty on instagram but like I say looks ain't the main thing for me.

Pretty plants that purple up also smoke well, ill stick with the disco biscuit 

2 people like this

Hey @stummerwasn't aimed at anyone in particular mate.

The OP on that thread paid top dollar for seeds from that vendor. That's what I was pointing out. 

Just showing that people are willing to pay those prices for seeds. Which proves my earlier point that it's good business. 

Can't say I agree with that kind of price for something that costs so little to produce, but the market is what it is if people are buying at that price then vendors will sell at that price. 

No offence intended :bong:

4 people like this

8 hours ago, NezA said:

Hey @stummerwasn't aimed at anyone in particular mate.

The OP on that thread paid top dollar for seeds from that vendor. That's what I was pointing out. 

Just showing that people are willing to pay those prices for seeds. Which proves my earlier point that it's good business. 

Can't say I agree with that kind of price for something that costs so little to produce, but the market is what it is if people are buying at that price then vendors will sell at that price. 

No offence intended :bong:

No worries mate none taken :) I love money too much to part with it like that lol. Agree with what you say though people must be willing to pay it. I almost feel a breeding project coming on lol

2 people like this

I have to say it's not the best photo of such an incredibly expensive strain either, I'll grow some as a tester and take some photos with my well used s7 if they'd like? lol

3 people like this

9 hours ago, Badbadger said:

I have to say it's not the best photo of such an incredibly expensive strain either, I'll grow some as a tester and take some photos with my well used s7 if they'd like? lol

I put it up to show what i had not to enter a photo competition mate.

1 person likes this

What I do is buy with a collective group, may be an idea or not

22 hours ago, NezA said:

12 minutes ago, Ronnie the roach said:

What I do is buy with a collective group, may be an idea or not

You boys want to get off instagram and check out uk420.

#nonbabylonianbigboybollocksstrains 

5 people like this

1 minute ago, Phoenix said:

Thanks for the advise

It's hard to justify paying for seeds of a weed that your not smoking, blind faith.

1 person likes this

There is no place for people like me anymore in this business, not even getting started on people like the pioneers, nowadays mass production and reproduction of popular strains is what is required to survive as a (new) seed company.

Genefinder, my good friend, and co-founder of Seedism was one of the last persons I know of working on the scale needed to truly select for pheno- and genotypes, he was mentored (but not exclusively) by Eddie (Sacred Seeds/Cultivators Choice/The Flying Dutchmen) and continued his work with his genetics.

Picture is of an old attempt to find some lost phenotypes, spot the keeper...lol

field-of-dreams.jpg

Now this is of course not needed for breeding, even "pollen-chuckers" can do an outstanding job in creating truly unique hybrids, quite a few of us have been doing this growing thing for a long time and collected and selected potential parents for decades now.

Quite a few of the breeders here on UK420 are a good example that a small(ish) genepool can offer strong parents for new and exciting hybrids, I know for a fact that a lot of time and dedication went in those strains.

A good part of that is that they grew a lot of seeds and saved clones, these clones came often from (true F1) non-feminized seeds they bought during the first or second generation of seed companies.

These seeds often came from stable, true breeding genetics, which means that the initial selection has been done by the breeders of said seeds.

I am in a privileged position for having my history with the Cannabis College which became my stepping stone into the "inner circle" and where we laid the foundation for our current genetic library we use for Seedism (not exclusively), and we only breed for seed production with our own clones.

But I still do a bit of pollen-chucking every now and then, I buy seeds quite regularly to see what certain strains are about, and sometimes I just can resist the urge to add some of those plants to a current pollination/seed project...just to see what comes out, but those seeds are not for commercial but purely personal entertainment and research...lol.

Mostly I work with clones from either P1 or F1 generation plants created by breeding with old IBL (In Bred Lines) genetics, but also have a few F2 - F? generation clones that either found their way to us (seedism collective = 5 people) or we selected from growing whatever seeds we chosen to buy.

But breeding is also fun, and then pollen-chucking is a great way to have some fun at home, it is really difficult to make a bad strain if you cross two of you favorites.

Anyway, getting off topic..lol

Here is a picture of my nuts.

GTH1-sts-day33-01.jpg

Peace
Amsterdammer

46 people like this

@amsterdammer I disagree with what you sày.  The last is in the first.  You are the future as much as the past.:skin_up:

8 people like this

I want seedism now.

4 people like this

4 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Didn't say I agreed with it but it's a fact of life now this underground hobby has become a commercial gold mine for some, this is the way things will go... The market is huge now and there is room for players at all levels. 

Not a good thing IMO but it's the reality we now live in. 

It's an extremely polarising issue and people will land on many sides but legalisation brings big businesses and big businesses have big marketing budgets and big marketing budgets need to be funded by high prices... The commercial weed culture is just getting started and there are big personalities who get paid large sums of money (and massive bags of weed) to go around hyping these strains up. 

I don't spend any time on Instagram by the way but have seen many videos on YouTube that showcase just how much this subculture has changed state side. 

Even in my short involvement in growing I can see its moving rapidly and people are willing to pay silly money for the finished "Cali" product just because of a particular name. If you were the breeder of a strain that sells for £40 a gram you might be inclined to up the cost of your seeds. Why should the breeders not get a share of the hype dollars? 

I'm playing devils advocate here BTW this isn't my personal opinion. But applying the ruthless logic of big business you can plainly see what's going on its a simple case of supply and demand. 

8 people like this

Keep in mind that if seeds are sold to you for say...50,-  the breeder probably only gets 20,-... the rest is for the re-sellers.

It is easy to forget that breeding is a lot of work and has a few risks involved, only the breeders take this risk..not re-sellers who just make lots of cash.
Breeders have to pay for advertisement so re-sellers sell more of their/our seeds.

Also only in our field of business do re-sellers expect 100%+VAT profit, almost no other service has this profit margin.

I feel that it is partly down to this that some breeders say fuck-it I want my fair share of this hyped up business before I get busted, or before company X buys a pack and releases it as their own.

Anyway, it is a tricky subject, something is only worth what people pay for it, and re-sellers are needed as this is where people go to shop, and risks are taken for granted when doing what we like to do.

Now I am off to my garden to jerk off some male banana´s and jizz it all over my girls...peace
Amsterdammer

13 people like this

@amsterdammer

All your points are valid and in most breeders cases don't lead to the "silly prices" some NKOTB are charging for what appears to be untested hacks. It's funny how the longer standing more reputable breeders are pricing well below the peak prices appearing today. 

It's obvious there are successful breeding business models that work without the exorbitantly high prices. From boutique breeders to the larger orgs the majority price below €100 per pack of 10+ . 

PS I hope the  love dust party was a success :yinyang:

6 people like this