Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Mike Hunt

Iws Flood & Drain users - advice, tips, reviews ?

17 posts in this topic

Hey folks, im thinking about putting RDWC away after xmas and trying out an IWS Flood and drain pro system with 25mm pipe a remote flood & drain controller.

Got a few questions if anyone has any hands on experience with these systems.

1.  Whats more ideal for a 2.4m x 1.2m tent, a 6 or 8 pot system ?
  2. They dont sell an 8 pot system. Why the fuck not ? And how could you convert a 6 pot to an 8 ?
  3. Which baskets would you use if you were going with just hydroton  ?
  4. Are these systems anygood ? Im familiar with hydro so thats not an issue.
  5. Does the hydroton dust gunk up the pipes or pump ? ( i know to wash them but you still get sediment off it ).
  6. Can you use the rhizo fabric pots as a liner to put the hydroton in ?

Thats all i can think of for the time being, let me know of any good mods or tips etc if you know any.

Cheers 

Hukt

2 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

Hey folks, im thinking about putting RDWC away after xmas and trying out an IWS Flood and drain pro system with 25mm pipe a remote flood & drain controller.

Got a few questions if anyone has any hands on experience with these systems.

1.  Whats more ideal for a 2.4m x 1.2m tent, a 6 or 8 pot system ? id go 8 pots, 2x 600w lights ,4x pots each light,... 
  2. They dont sell an 8 pot system. Why the fuck not ? And how could you convert a 6 pot to an 8 ? just buy 2 extra pots and more pipes and fittings and add 2 on,..
  3. Which baskets would you use if you were going with just hydroton  ? I used the net mesh pots that take a couple literes of pebbles so roots hang out into water as it floods and drains,..
  4. Are these systems anygood ? Im familiar with hydro so thats not an issue. They are ok, iv used them with good results,.. BUT I wouldn't recommend them nowadays unless you like to fraff about with everything, ie they are just too much work and you have to be on it 24/7, checking nutes , ph constantly , checking roots blocking pipes mid flower , pump troubles, controller troubles the list goes on,.. to much agg for me nowadays I prefer my auto pots too much now , fill tank and leave they do the rest simples plants drink what they want when they want,..  
  5. Does the hydroton dust gunk up the pipes or pump ? ( i know to wash them but you still get sediment off it ). Not really its more the root growing down the pipes causing trouble,..
  6. Can you use the rhizo fabric pots as a liner to put the hydroton in ? Yes

Personally id go with a 8 double autopot trays in a 2.4x 1.2 my mate runs the same set up 16 x 8.5l pots and gets great results and sooo much less aggro than doing iws,.. iws are  good systems when they go right don't get me wrong but start having troubles and you will regret it mark my words, I cant count the amount of people that have brought these systems and binned them after one use,..  I must of tried every system on the market years ago and I wont change from auto pots nowadays me don't think for simplicity you cant beat em,,...

Thats all i can think of for the time being, let me know of any good mods or tips etc if you know any.

Cheers 

Hukt

Edited by panik
2 people like this

@panik

Cheers bruv, appreciated.

At the momment, my RDWC takes some keeping on top of soon as it gets to midflower with PH and fussy feeders.

I see what you mean about the root blockages, i thought thats what the copper disc's were for ? Also hence the rhizo pots as a liner.

The pump and controller issues are what give me the fear the most. Id rather not have it go tits up and flood my house, thats the only thing that puts me off this sytem, but it looks so easy to use as long as you have a big enough res to buffer any major swings in PH / E.C.

The thing with the autopots is that i want to keep my plant number 10 or less as i have a medium sized tent i use to try a diferent strain out while my big tent is running, so a 16 plant grow is a no go with regards to the auto pots. I figure if i do get copped, 9-10 plants is borderline a smack on the wrist

I currently run a 3 pot RDWC, its not bad, but i want something thats going to run quieter, and uses the chiller less and not coco or mud, as i fear them damn bugs and getting rid of the leftovers at the end of a grow.large.59c152cc1f4a3_Tent1.jpglarge.20170919_185930(1).jpglarge.59c14f8863c3d_tent2.jpg

I just want to try something different, that would let me run a couple of strains at a time aswell without anything getting in the way of each other, keep the numbers down, run quieter, more efficient.

Do you think some of the issues you mentioned are mostly user errors or design flaws ? Even with the bigger pipes on the updated system with either the copper mesh pads or the rhizo pots as a liner ?

Cheers bruv

Hukt

2 people like this

Personally i'd keep your DRWC system, and forget about flood and drain.

Its more plants (worst case scenario you get a knock, something I never ever imagined would happen)

The roots blocking the pipes will result in disaster

The RDWC is better all round.

1 person likes this

@badbillybob

Hahah i knew if you posted that's what youd say mate lol. If i do decide on usin this rdwc again im gonna convert it into a URDWC. Ive got drain line plumbed into the bottom of every tub connected to a tap that i use to empty my system all in 1 go that i mite connect to the big pump in the rez to pull into the res and use the 2 inch pipe to re-balance the water levels and keep the spray bars, get rid of the air stones. 7000lph should get that swooshing around if I do.

Im not being very pragmatic, just being a nob wanting to do somthing different :skin_up:

2 people like this

36 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

@panik

Cheers bruv, appreciated.

At the momment, my RDWC takes some keeping on top of soon as it gets to midflower with PH and fussy feeders.

I see what you mean about the root blockages, i thought thats what the copper disc's were for ? Also hence the rhizo pots as a liner.

The pump and controller issues are what give me the fear the most. Id rather not have it go tits up and flood my house, thats the only thing that puts me off this sytem, but it looks so easy to use as long as you have a big enough res to buffer any major swings in PH / E.C.

The thing with the autopots is that i want to keep my plant number 10 or less as i have a medium sized tent i use to try a diferent strain out while my big tent is running, so a 16 plant grow is a no go with regards to the auto pots. I figure if i do get copped, 9-10 plants is borderline a smack on the wrist

I currently run a 3 pot RDWC, its not bad, but i want something thats going to run quieter, and uses the chiller less and not coco or mud, as i fear them damn bugs and getting rid of the leftovers at the end of a grow.large.59c152cc1f4a3_Tent1.jpglarge.20170919_185930(1).jpglarge.59c14f8863c3d_tent2.jpg

I just want to try something different, that would let me run a couple of strains at a time aswell without anything getting in the way of each other, keep the numbers down, run quieter, more efficient.

Do you think some of the issues you mentioned are mostly user errors or design flaws ? Even with the bigger pipes on the updated system with either the copper mesh pads or the rhizo pots as a liner ?

Cheers bruv

Hukt

I understand what you mean mate , but if your using flood and drain with one res its another disaster problem running different strains , ie needing different feed quantity's and nutes at different times of the grow id stir clear of multi strain growing unless you are hand feeding,.. you can use as many pots as you like with the auto pots doesn't have to be over 10 ,.. but as you say you don't want the soil , but as for bugs I don't really get much nothing 1-2 applications of neem or bug spray can handle that's even if I get any,.  .as  for silence I wouldn't use any other system its totally quite apart from circulation pump in the res which is near on silent,..  I'm not trying to change your mind mate you use what you like horses for courses and all that plus you look like you have a pretty decent system going already mate,.. :yep: 

1 person likes this

IIts a cracking system I dunno why you'd want to change it,.......but..............

f you want different, where you can do different strains, then go for mega bubblers.

This is what I'm doing when I make my 69 special comeback grow. at least until I can afford another chilller for a DIY RDWC system. 

They are approx. 60 litres and with a couple of airstones per por,and insulation to the outside of them jobs a gooden.

Advantages are - Zero chance of leaks, monster yield, you can adjust each plants feed depending on what they are taking, if one gets root rot they don't all get it, er, they're the bollox, er.....

Bad points, res's can very occasionally overheat (Not really a problem if you insulate them, or a couple of frozen bottles will sort it out. Bit of an arse ache emptying each pot out if using more than say 6.

Ive tried undercurrent recirculating system (Alien Pro XL, airstones and undercurrent pumped back to res, ) , v my own DIY system spraybar and airstone RDWC system gravity drained back to res and also mega bubblers, and noticed very little difference between the lot of em, but if I had limitless funds I would go Alien XL. with Norres diffusers, but because I don't it will probably be identical to yours I will end up with. 

Have a bash with the flood and drain, but don't say I never warned u lol

1 person likes this

Autopots are your friend, so simple easy to use and give decent results. 

Had 22 oz per light last grow with psychosis.. this pic is blues (livers cut) from today... heading the same way as last crop I hope.. so these auto pots are tried and tested :yep:

This pic looks like it could be your tent on ya next run lol 

Paniks right :yep:

large.4ED78CFF-F71C-47E0-8D78-69FEEAFB6EF0.jpeg

Edited by Dan1122
4 people like this

that's what I'm saying dan I convinced you on these too didn't I lol .... so simple but effective aint they,..  :yep: 

ETA auto pot room :yep: 

large.user406701_pic1806548_1512587041.jpeg.jpg

Edited by panik
3 people like this

If you really wanna try flood and drain buy two deep 4ft grow trays and just bodge up a flood and drain table. I have a rdwc and it smashes the flood table 

2 people like this

Or like panik said buy a auto pot system and save yourself a lot of hastle. Never had autopots but I used to do coco run to waste and was lot less headache than the undercurrent thing I use now 

2 people like this

@panikYeah they are I’ve Never looked back mate.. easy pies... my favourite little grow kits mate if it ain’t broke don’t fix it lol 

Edited by Dan1122
2 people like this

That’s a cracking grow there mate plenty of yield no doubt! 

I like using cuttings in these systems for the nice even canopy. All same ferts what more do we want? 

@op get a system lol 

1 person likes this

I'll throw a curve ball in there. I hate autopot systems, you can get em to work right but I'd want one of those plant!t watering timers on the tank as well as a hand water flush through the top of the pots every week to allow some oxygen through the root zone and clear any excess salts. Run the E.C lower than a top fed system as well.

Personally for ease you can't beat run to waste coco, its a case of set the timer and empty the waste bucket. Piece of piss :v:

3 people like this

The salt actually builds up at the top few inches of medium in these auto pot systems as they’re bottom fed so the last thing you want to do is flush water through the top. Although Salt buildup hasn’t been a problem for me but maybe with different water it might be an issue.. good little systems though.. but we all like different things right? 

3 people like this