Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

redbeard

If you think your neighbours are smoking weed what is the law?

28 posts in this topic

Chances are you have smelt somebody near you smoking cannabis at some time in your life - but what can you do when it is next door?

Gloucestershire Live regularly features stories of people discovering massive cannabis farms at unsuspecting homes throughout the county.

For neighbours it is a regular concern for both their health and their safety.

But what is the best approach if you see your next door neighbour smoking the drug, or suspect of supplying it to a wider group?

Read: PCs on patrol stumble across huge cannabis farm in Gloucestershire

Can people smoke cannabis on their own property legally?

No, any suggestion that you can is an urban myth.

A police spokeswoman said: "The possession of cannabis is an offence and will be dealt with by police.

"It is a widespread issue and we are focusing our resources to target those connected with the cultivation and dealing of the drug to help crackdown on the issue.

"We would encourage anyone who suspects drug activity in their community to contact us."

Call the police? Won't my neighbours find out it was me?

The police say no. A spokeswoman said police would "never give away a caller's identity".

"We wouldn't say information has come from a neighbour as that narrows it down. We'd just say we received a call about x."

"She added officers on patrol might also use tip-offs to inform where they go on patrol.

"If they were to smell the cannabis themselves, they might knock on the door and broach the subject that way.

"She added people could always call Crimestoppers on 0800 555111 if they wanted to remain anonymous throughout the process."

What will happen to my neighbours if I call the police about them?

The police spokesman said this could depend on a number of variables, including the amount of cannabis, and whether someone has had any previous convictions.Cannabis

Cannabis

If they're renting, what about telling my neighbour's landlord?

That's also an option but you'd need to remember that the landlord isn't bound to avoid giving your identity away in the same way that police are. As long as the tenancy agreement has been drawn up properly, they'll be in breach of it.

But you also need to bear in mind that there are constraints as to what the landlord can do. A spokesman for the National Landlords Association, said that, if landlords suspect cannabis use, they should "arrange for a visit to the property, provided they have given the tenant advance warning".

Read More

He said: "If they see or smell what they believe to be evidence of cannabis use, they should remind and warn the tenant/s that such actions are in violation of the tenancy agreement.

"If, when they next visit the property, they see the same evidence they may then wish to resort to serving a section 21, or eviction."

I am the landlord. What can I do to stop cannabis being used at my property?

Chris Norris, of the National Landlords Association, said: "While we recommend taking references of prospective tenants from former employers or landlords before offering a tenancy, it can also be necessary to make checks on the property after they have moved in.

"These should be carried out quarterly if there are any concerns but make sure that you give the tenant or tenants sufficient notice beforehand so as not to disrupt privacy.

"Lastly, get to know the neighbours and local residents, as they can help alert you should they either see or smell what they suspect to be cannabis use on the property."

How can I find out who the landlord of a property is?

A good starting point is to find out who the Land Registry have as the owner of the property. It'll cost a few quid but you can get the information from this website: https://www.landregistrydocuments.co.uk/

Edited by redbeard

How about these people just mind their own fucking business and get on with their own life? 

34 people like this

Are you kidding me?

My neighbour is a violent alcoholic that most likely beats his wife. Does nothing.

My neighbour is a calm, chill person who just wants to medicate or have some lighthearted fun. Calls police.

WHERE. IS. THE. LOGIC.

15 people like this

Gloucestershire seems to be full of complete cunts.

I just checked the map to confirm its location, and yes, that area is cunt central. 

8 people like this

Such a f***ing backward looking country and set of legal priorities!!!

Here's an idea, if you smell someone smoking weed, mind your own f***ing business!

I'm really getting annoyed at the way growers are being cast as a potential danger for the health and safety of others, its BS of the worst kind... I can fire up a big pot of oil without anyone batting an eye, I get an HPS bulb and suddenly I'm going to burn my neighbors houses to the ground...

But:

"Chip pans are the most common cause of house fires in the United Kingdom, with around 12,000 chip pan fires every year, 1,100 of them considered serious. These fires result in over 4,600 injuries, and 50 deaths per year"

I can't even find stats for weed growers causing fires except in Vancouver, where there were 36 fires related to growing over an 8 yr period!

I mean!! FFS!!

Edited by Slugums
8 people like this

Just found this: its a bit old but paints the picture well enough I reckon!

Fires Caused by Cannabis Growth

Reference No: 35/2014
Request Date: 26/03/2014

Request

The number of fires attended caused by cannabis growth in houses, for each of the past five years (and if possible broken down by area)?

The number of fires caused by cannabis growth in industrial units, for each of the past five years (and if possible broken down by area)?

The number of injuries/fatalities from such fires, broken down by year?

Response

We have responded to this best we can  due to there being inconsistencies on how this type incident is recorded.

2009, Stoke-on-Trent, Cannabis factory in garage, fire caused by faulty wires/cables, No Injures, No Rescues, No Fatals

2012, Stoke-on-Trent, Cannabis growing in bedroom, fire caused by faulty wires/cables, No Injures, No Rescues, No Fatals

2013, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Cannabis been grown in loft space, fire caused by faulty lights, No Injures, No Rescues, No Fatals

2013, Stafford, Cannabis been grown in flat, Fire caused by smoking materials, 2 no fatal casualties

http://www.staffordshirefire.gov.uk/2984.asp

shit like this is a reason why i dont smoke regularly in the yard or out front no more(feel safer indoors,less judged),i used to smoke outside mostly in the past but people are cunts,one of my neighbours(not rocket science) had  me get an asbo social order type thing for me and couple mates for smoking outside the front door years ago,people are just sad cunts really and its easy for them to stereotype you/the drug.

the world we live in is really nuts aint it,its totally stupid but its real life:russian:

H4rdc0r3.

3 people like this

@Absurdist You might want to consider re-phrasing that! ;)

e2a: I'm from there (and I'm a cunt) but you've not offended me. You might have offended some other members who are far more senior than me though :P

Edited by mrrichiet
3 people like this

3 minutes ago, mrrichiet said:

@Absurdist

e2a: I'm from there. 

Sorry to hear ,my sympathies lol

2 people like this

can i ask why you sound like pirates ?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, THC4METOO said:

How about these people just mind their own fucking business and get on with their own life? 

because, most people now days either live in fear of what their told on the tv/in the tabloids, or, consider sticking their big hairy hooters into other peoples business, the normal, done thing, fuck knows when it became the norm? or even how? but it is, shame!

dj...

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, redbeard said:

A police spokeswoman said: "The possession of cannabis is an offence and will be dealt with by police.

"It is a widespread issue and we are focusing our resources to target those connected with the cultivation and dealing of the drug to help crackdown on the issue.

What little resources the Police have these days, and they go after the canna' growers!

Focus on something more important - or is it just a quick buck to them, and the usual - Cannabis leads to other crime bollocks!

1 person likes this

"Fake News" from the media, law enforcement organisations and government who all propagate a fear amongst communities :thumbdown:

In my neighbourhood, the rule is you share and then nobody grasses you up :smokin:

For example, this year I grew three plants in the garden. My immediate neighbours had plants growing in their gardens cloned from my best mother.

These neighbours have already been asked by their neighbours for a plant next year.

No home should be without one :wassnnme:

Edited by PabloAcuario
s
8 people like this

lol if I planted weed in my garden, my neighbours wouldn't wait for a cut, they would just rob mine! :yes:

dj....

6 people like this

14 minutes ago, *DJ* said:

lol if I planted weed in my garden, my neighbours wouldn't wait for a cut, they would just rob mine! :yes:

dj....

That's the trouble with society today, you can't trust anybody. I'd report the theft to the Police :rolleyes: