Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

caringmum

MH lamp

I will be using the 600w lumii digital, Euro Reflector HP kit - with it comes a 600w HP lamp.

It has been pointed out to me that a 400w MH lamp will be more beneficial in growing seedlings (veg)

On checking on the details of the variable ballast it say's ...

To be able to power up and down you need to start with a 600w lamp, this can then be dimmed to 400w and 250w or boosted to 660w.

Does this mean I have to buy the 600w MH lamp  and if so which one?

Yes I believe what your saying is correct, im sure someone will correct me if im wrong, but to be honest why bother, while its true MH light is better for vegative growth your HPS will work just fine. I wouldn't over complicate things get up and running and then down the line if you want to try other things go for it. That way at least you'll have a few grows under your belt and you'll be able to see yourself if any changes are worth while.

Your 600HPS is the do anything lamp if I could only ever have one lamp again it would be one of these.

2 people like this

I thought about buying one of those but realised id prefer a digital ballast that takes a 250, 400 and 600 w bulb, either hps or mh, rather than a ballast that just dimms a 600w, i dont feel comfortable with that somehow. A 400 w mh, has always served me well during the veg stage.

You are really better off running a 400w bulb at 400watts and a 600w bulb at 600w, its something to do with them getting the right spectrum of lighting.

I would use the metal halide for veg. I used to use them and the plants liked much better under MH than HPS.

But switch to HPS for flower.

Also, if you use the MH for the first week after flip, it stops them stretching as much.

As always I'm thinking to far head @Green_herb its just - I'm wanting to learning as much as I can and get a good idea on what each bit of equipment can do. But I do agree its time to get cracking and stop reading about how its done and get on with the practical (smile)

@badbillybob if I have to power down from a 600w to a 400w  who does that work?

@caringmum The ballast. You will need to turn the dial on the ballast to 400w and put a 400w MH lamp in the reflector, when you turn the dial to 600w in flower you will have to put a 600w lamp in. Generally a sodium. 

2 people like this

Thanks @Golden Syrup  looks like I've been taking it too  literally - 

To be able to power up and down you need to start with a 600w lamp, this can then be dimmed to 400w and 250w or boosted to 660w.

If the ballast has a 400w setting it can be started up on this setting. Is the ballastt the type with a dial on the end or the type with just a button on top.

If its a lumii, has it got cooling fins on the side or is it square, like a black plastic brick?

I'm not sure about the brick type, but if it has a dial, just set it to 400 like Syrup says

Edited by badbillybob
1 person likes this

Mh don't dim. Only the sodium.

3 people like this

@badbillybob  it's the Lumii Black with dial on the end - thanks for all the information " another tick in my book" 

1 person likes this

If i had the choice i'd go with the MH for rhe seedlings. But not having the choice wouldn't bother me.

I want to buy a  400w lamp as a spare, what is your thought's on the   400w Omega Metal Halide Lamp

i have used omega lamps for a few years and they are fine .

Ive also used the lumii lamps

pretty cheap too.

I honestly notice very little (as in none) difference between expensive lamps and cheap ones, as long as they are for growing)

Edited by badbillybob
1 person likes this

i have a 600w digital ballast that came with a 600w growmaster dual spec bulb,ive since bought a 250w MH bulb a 400w MH bulb and a growmaster dual spec 400w bulb to run them on the specific setting on the ballast, id advise against running a 600w bulb on the 250w setting i dont even know if it would fire,ive ran my 400w dual spec on the 250w setting and it runs just as hot as on the 400w setting,hard to tell if it was dimmer but wouldnt have been much