Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

GreenVision

RDWC / DWC water change.

Hi all, apologies for the repeat if it's in the forum already, I did look but couldn't find anything RDWC specific.

How often would I need to change a RDWC system out? A 12 pot system has a lot of water, plus its kept cold and well bubbled. Hoping its not a weekly thing.

Also, the system being easy enough to empty out leaves about an inch I think of water in there, maybe a bit less (see a vid on tube). Can I leave this in and fill with fresh? 

Thanks again to all, you know how it is, read everything you can but the vids and descriptions cant cover it all. And its getting close to me buying the system so crossing of a few headscratchers. :g:

GV.

Unfortunately it's a case of the more regularly you empty and refill the better.

And the cleaner the tank the better also, so yes empty every drop you can from the reservoir.

The way i see it is that to continuously top up a reservoir would give you high levels of one element and low on another. No nutrient blend is 100% perfect for every plant throughout its life so unused elements would build up and used elements would run low by comparison. 

I quests you have to work out the routine that suits your own environment to a certain extent, taking into account the workload and also the nutrients cost.

:smokin:

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Green Squirrel said:

Unfortunately it's a case of the more regularly you empty and refill the better.

And the cleaner the tank the better also, so yes empty every drop you can from the reservoir.

The way i see it is that to continuously top up a reservoir would give you high levels of one element and low on another. No nutrient blend is 100% perfect for every plant throughout its life so unused elements would build up and used elements would run low by comparison. 

I quests you have to work out the routine that suits your own environment to a certain extent, taking into account the workload and also the nutrients cost.

The res will always be totally emptied, and refilled with a fresh PH'd balanced feed.

But its the buckets, I cant see a way to get that last inch of water from them without removing the lids and physically scooping it out. And I just cant see the lid being lifted right of once the plant if fully established.

The tank and header pot, not a problem. 

GV.

This is why I needed to post a DWC / RDWC specific topic.

When I was using NFT I did a tank change every week to 10 days, no problem. But getting every drop of water out of these systems must either be a serious ball ache or I am missing a trick of the trade.

Or I'm just a dumb ass and missing something completely. :wassnnme:

Your right, you can't get every drop from most systems.

I'm assuming the flow piping isn't right at the bottom?

You could tilt the pots a little, like a permanent wedge under one side.

Or put something in the bottom to fill the space the remaining water would have sat in.

Also can flush old nutes out by pH watering a few litres through the medium by hand to rince back the remaining water.

Perfection is rarely achievable but the closer we can get the better we can smoke.

Water butt taps on the buckets might help.

i use a 90ltr tank and i never changed my water from start to finish and never had a problem,i done it when i first started but i found there is no need,i just top it up every week.i just make the same batch every time correct nutes, ec/ then add silicone and liquid oxygen adjust ph, then all i do is check ph of tank and correct any issuies,

2 people like this

I change every 5-7 days. Bit of work but your plants will love you for it

1 person likes this

Also getting every single drop out of the system is not essential. As long as you get most of it you're good

But if you're OCD you can buy a shop vac and get it all. but totally unnecessary