Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MauisGhost

Goats, farming

If I had 1 acre of land (grassland,arable,farming), how may goats can I have maximum for it to still be sustainable?

Generally male goats gets killed straight away as they don't create milk. I want to look into raring, cooking and selling goat meat and creating a little bit of money to ease the ever growing bills. 

Never kept goats, but a friend had one that destroyed a 12ft monkey puzzle tree and the feral goats that are knocking around here eat. fucking. everything. With their little mini beaver teeth lol

In all seriousness mate, it'll be entirely dependent on the quality of your ground and fodder you can produce/acquire. Start small, a few, observe and take it from there I reckon.

Good luck!

Edited by Cambium
2 people like this

you will never take me alive.

3 people like this

You need to decide on the breed of goat and from there you'll know what they need. Some prefer indoors/dry than being in a field. I kept & bred Boers for years for our own meat and to sell.  Where are you getting the billies from? 5 years ago the farmers knocked them on the heads but nowadays they have woken up to the meat market so will charge you for them.

1 person likes this

Goatilicious :D 

After an initial start the Billy's would be home reared ogamito. It's just in the air at the moment, it started from knowing there's a bit of land that just cannot be built on and is cheap in comparison to other, no one wants it. The land is about 5-7 acres and consist of different soils (only saying this from look) as its an amalgamation of grassland, a bit that had been used before as continuous farming and now just overgrown and bits that look like dunes (sandy with that long tough grass stuff). 

Can imagine they do a bit of eating/damage.

All of my eggs won't be in this basket ofc, it's just a little bit extra on the extra. Free, meat, cheese and milk too.. Happy days :D it's also land! 

@ScapeGoat You may not want to be killed off but we all love our teets being pulled, reckon you'll stay til slaughterhouse day  :) 

E: could revive my hop thread too, as after I posted that my life drastically changed. I had no time to offer it. 

Edited by MauisGhost
1 person likes this

Best of luck if you go ahead with it mate. We used to keep a few goats for milk (and ate a few) when I was a kid (sorry baaaaad pun). As said above, they'll make absolute shite of a garden if they get free, they make Houdini look like an amateur when it comes to escaping (tho they always came home eventually). If I had a few acres I'd be all over the idea. I went to every butchers in town lately looking for goat meat for curries, was met with everything from blank stares to being literally laughed out of the shop. There's deffo a market there for specialty meats. More and more people I know are ditching the butchers and buying organic meat from farmers markets, regardless of the price :v:

1 person likes this

We're in the process of buying a few more goats. We used to have sheep but thought we'd swap over to goats as I have fond memories of my aunts goat farm over in Portugal. 

About 4-5 an acre is sensible, most will need to be housed overnight as they don't have the layer of fat and wool sheep have. 

The meat is delicious and the milk / cheese is really special too. 

Good luck. 

4 people like this

I have 2 kids on around 1/4 an acre. They arent able to keep the grass down, not sure about adult goats tho. could also be the fact my missus feeds them buns and left over chips etc lol

1 person likes this