Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Ramie

Wardrobe evolution - First Timer

Hey…. again,

I have gone ahead and made a new thread because the opening on my other thread was pretty messy and didn’t flow well :wacko:

As some of you might have seen from my previous thread I want to get a little grow maybe 3 or 4 plants (might be being ambitious considering the limited space I actually have) but the only room I have is a wardrobe within my bedroom. I have been reading through @Church pinned thread but the pictures are down so hard to visualize what he has achieved but none the less some very helpful stuff in there and I will be using that as a guide no doubt. I want to grow to in order to be self-sufficient and for more strains other than Lemon which appears to be all available where I am and mainly because I need to get a hobby :rolleyes:. I don't want to sell, I doubt I even have the room for enough plants to even sell lol This project is just for my own selfish needs :eat::eat:

The wardrobe I will be using is a PAX from Ikea and measurements are (Length 100cm x width 60cm x height 201 cm) and is pictured below. Has anyone used these wardrobes?

large.5889c266dcb96_IMG_4332(1).jpglarge.5889c26774ddd_IMG_4331(1).jpg

My concerns with my attempt at a growdrobe is that there is no space between the top of the wardrobe and the ceiling, so I won’t be able to put a chimney at the top. However, there is a gap at the back of the wardrobe and the wall of about 5inches. Could I use the back of the wardrobe as a chimney?

Also, I’m very new to the cultivation of cannabis and it is feeling a bit overwhelming with the amount of information out there. I’m not too sure on what I actually need and I don’t have a clue how much this project will cost, having read a lot on the web mainly from American sources its difficult to work out costs in the UK. This is another reason why I decided to post of here so I could keep track of all the information that I will actually need for my project. 

I am by no means a great DIY person, I have very basic skills in that regards, so I hope the project isn't too difficult lol 

I would like help on with:

1.     What can I do about my chimney situation?

2.     What equipment will I need and what is the likely cost of it all?

3.     How much in electricity will per grow cost?

4.     Any useful links and videos in regards to growdrobe?

5.     The required skill level needed to build and grown?

6.     The wardrobe is in the room I sleep in, will that be an issue in regards to heat, noise and SMELL? 

7.     My biggest fear/worry is the police, what are the chances of getting caught?

I probably have way more questions but those are my main concerns at the moment. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day

R.

Edited by Ramie

Option 2

The second option would be to buy a shed and put a grow tent inside.

This type of shed:

www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Overlap-Pressure-Treated-Apex-Shed-Double-Doors-7x5-Click-and-Collect-Only/p/147647

I think I would prefer this than a wardrobe but with it being in garden, I’m worried about the smell giving it away, which puts me in an uncomfortable position with the police and local gangsters, I don’t live in a very safe area in both regards.

What would be the best option, bedroom wardrobe or a shed?

Edited by Ramie
fixed link

I'll try and answer your questions one by one mate, and in basic terms

1. You could vent out of the back, top right hand corner for example. 

You will be venting back into your room, which isn't ideal, but not  necessarily a huge problem. I do it,  it will make your bedroom a little warmer, which is great in winter, but can be a bit stuffy in summer, and you might find it harder to regulate temps in the warmer months.

What's above the wardrobe? Your full height drobe could be a blessing, you could bang a hole straight up into the loft space if there is one. That would be ideal, but depends if you own your home, or are renting, you might not want to be drilling holes through the ceiling.

2. Firstly you will need a Carbon Filter, and fan to match.

These are key to keeping your plants alive, and making sure no smell escapes from your grow. You need these items, do not consider growing without them.

Then you need a light, and ballast. I'd go with a 400w HPS with a  dimmable ballast personally, others might say look at LED or CMH. Have a look into them all, there's loads of info here.

A bit of ducting, a fan speed controller, maybe a small clip on fan or PC fan. Pots. Compost. Seeds.

Cost wise, as you already have the wardrobe, 300 quid tops should set you up nicely I reckon. Check out Grow and Harvest, they're sponsors here.

3. There is a formula for working it out based on how many watts you draw, and how much you pay per KWH. If I can find it, I'll link it later. 

Not too bad for a drobe with a single light and fan though, you've got to think of it as your cannabis bill essentially. It'll be much cheaper than buying ounce for ounce, after your initial expenditure.

4 Just browse the forum, there's loads of advice, or search for some wardrobe grow diarys. 

5 It's not too tricky to make a drobe, but it depends how good you are with a few tools! You probably will be swearing and cursing at some point!

You can build a fancy drobe or a very basic drobe, as long as the essential stuff's right (airflow adequate, smell and light tight) you'll be able to grow in it.

I found the hardest bit was getting it light tight.

It looks like yours is a double wardrobe, so unless you're doing something daft like keeping clothes in it, you could be all fancy and have separate veg and flower chambers, leading to a nice perpetual harvest.

6 Noise isn't too bad, I can easily sleep with it, I use a 4" rvk and it's just a quiet whoosh at night.  To try and quantify it for you, if you live next to a road with a bit of traffic you wouldn't hear it. I find it quite reassuring hearing that slight whoosh at night. You can quieten fans by wrapping them in insulation or even old clothes.

As i said earlier, it can make your room a bit stuffy in summer, but warm it a bit for you in winter.

If you use a carbon filter and  build it right it shouldn't smell.

7. If you follow the no smell, no tell, no sell mantra the likelihood of you being caught is very low. Be sensible, think about stuff like lugging compost into your house, try not to get into unrelated trouble with the law, don't steal the leccy....One of the most frequent bust causes seems to be a woman scorned....

There you go mate, hope that helps, I'm sure others will chip in too! :yep:

Edited by Captain Bonglington
6 people like this

2 hours ago, Captain Bonglington said:

I'll try and answer your questions one by one mate, and in basic terms

1. You could vent out of the back, top right hand corner for example. 

You will be venting back into your room, which isn't ideal, but not  necessarily a huge problem. I do it,  it will make your bedroom a little warmer, which is great in winter, but can be a bit stuffy in summer, and you might find it harder to regulate temps in the warmer months.

What's above the wardrobe? Your full height drobe could be a blessing, you could bang a hole straight up into the loft space if there is one. That would be ideal, but depends if you own your home, or are renting, you might not want to be drilling holes through the ceiling.

2. Firstly you will need a Carbon Filter, and fan to match.

These are key to keeping your plants alive, and making sure no smell escapes from your grow. You need these items, do not consider growing without them.

Then you need a light, and ballast. I'd go with a 400w HPS with a  dimmable ballast personally, others might say look at LED or CMH. Have a look into them all, there's loads of info here.

A bit of ducting, a fan speed controller, maybe a small clip on fan or PC fan. Pots. Compost. Seeds.

Cost wise, as you already have the wardrobe, 300 quid tops should set you up nicely I reckon. Check out Grow and Harvest, they're sponsors here.

3. There is a formula for working it out based on how many watts you draw, and how much you pay per KWH. If I can find it, I'll link it later. 

Not too bad for a drobe with a single light and fan though, you've got to think of it as your cannabis bill essentially. It'll be much cheaper than buying ounce for ounce, after your initial expenditure.

4 Just browse the forum, there's loads of advice, or search for some wardrobe grow diarys. 

5 It's not too tricky to make a drobe, but it depends how good you are with a few tools! You probably will be swearing and cursing at some point!

You can build a fancy drobe or a very basic drobe, as long as the essential stuff's right (airflow adequate, smell and light tight) you'll be able to grow in it.

I found the hardest bit was getting it light tight.

It looks like yours is a double wardrobe, so unless you're doing something daft like keeping clothes in it, you could be all fancy and have separate veg and flower chambers, leading to a nice perpetual harvest.

6 Noise isn't too bad, I can easily sleep with it, I use a 4" rvk and it's just a quiet whoosh at night.  To try and quantify it for you, if you live next to a road with a bit of traffic you wouldn't hear it. I find it quite reassuring hearing that slight whoosh at night. You can quieten fans by wrapping them in insulation or even old clothes.

As i said earlier, it can make your room a bit stuffy in summer, but warm it a bit for you in winter.

If you use a carbon filter and  build it right it shouldn't smell.

7. If you follow the no smell, no tell, no sell mantra the likelihood of you being caught is very low. Be sensible, think about stuff like lugging compost into your house, try not to get into unrelated trouble with the law, don't steal the leccy....One of the most frequent bust causes seems to be a woman scorned....

There you go mate, hope that helps, I'm sure others will chip in too! :yep:

First of thanks for such a good reply to my questions, I really appreciate it.

I am currently renting of the council so I can't really be cutting into the loft above, so as you mentioned I will have to vent the air back into my room. This is VERY likely to cause problems. My room is very humid and it's starting to form mold and venting air back into the room might actually increase it the mold and harm the plants?

In terms of lighting I think I want to go with LED just because they use less electricity or so I have read. I was thinking of splitting the drobe in half and as you said use one for vegging and the other half for flowering. To do this would I have to purchase another light?

The light leaking out is something that also concerns me because I struggle to sleep even with a stand by light on lol 

The humidity and susceptibility to mould in your bedroom could be a concern....My place is a mould fest as I live at  the bottom of a damp valley, and my cottage is pretty much uninsulated, so mould can be an issue, if the environment isn't right.

In an ideal world, you'd intake from another room, and vent up into the loft but I understand why that doesn't appeal.

I'd still go for it personally, just open a window a crack. If it was a tentfull of plants maybe not, but two or three in a drobe I'd like to think you'd be ok. Maybe think about getting a dehumidifier, as living in damp and mould is bad for you, never mind your plants.

You would need two lights for separate veg and flower rooms , yes.

You need to address the light leaks in your build, it's not as essential if you're doing autos, but light leaks when growing photos can lead to seeded bud and slower flowering. It's really important to sort any light leaks, that needs to be a priority in your build, it's one of the fundamental issues to address.

2 people like this

14 hours ago, Captain Bonglington said:

The humidity and susceptibility to mould in your bedroom could be a concern....My place is a mould fest as I live at  the bottom of a damp valley, and my cottage is pretty much uninsulated, so mould can be an issue, if the environment isn't right.

In an ideal world, you'd intake from another room, and vent up into the loft but I understand why that doesn't appeal.

I'd still go for it personally, just open a window a crack. If it was a tentfull of plants maybe not, but two or three in a drobe I'd like to think you'd be ok. Maybe think about getting a dehumidifier, as living in damp and mould is bad for you, never mind your plants.

You would need two lights for separate veg and flower rooms , yes.

You need to address the light leaks in your build, it's not as essential if you're doing autos, but light leaks when growing photos can lead to seeded bud and slower flowering. It's really important to sort any light leaks, that needs to be a priority in your build, it's one of the fundamental issues to address.

I have a dehumidifier at the moment but its not very effective at all, so I will be looking into a solution for the mould before the grow that's for sure.

In terms of light leakage, how is best to stop this? I assume lights leaks the most gap the doors and the holes cut out

A grobers essential items ...a staple gun, black and white plastic and gaffa tape.

failing that a heavy curtain to drapse over the doors?

1 person likes this

Yeah, around and between the doors and wherever you put holes in it.

You could build an internal screen behind the door out of sheeting and some battens.

I used draught excluding foam to seal the gaps because i wanted to open the door direct to the grow space, it's a faff to do but it works once you've got it right.

1 person likes this