Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ratdog

Model making

95 posts in this topic

Check out hobbyking if you haven't all ready. ;)

E2A: You probably found it in the past while looking for Glues, lubricants and tape. lol

Edited by Pots
4 people like this

@@i11

I did a few rubberband ones, can remember learning the hard way that there`s a limit to how many winds you make before the tail suddenly becomes the front of the plane, totally destroyed the fuselage in a split second lol

3 people like this

i used to buy the bag of matchsticks and do tobacco tins with them, you can also do matchstick models but they can be a bit fiddly.

A mate of mine used to do those, he was great at them, the would then add pictures and varnish, top quality. I had a go, but it was during the rave days so it didn`t get the attention that was

needed and obviously didn`t go so well. Dont think I have the patience to make models with them though.

Check out hobbyking if you haven't all ready. ;)

Thanks mate, haven`t seen you for a while, hope all is well with you and yours :)

2 people like this

I used to love airfix as a kid, trouble was I'd build them, then see how far they'd "fly" by launching them down the garden, so they were fucked within minutes usually!

I like to do a bit of woodwork, just making tea light holders and stuff, but I don't give that the attention I should. I've got the attention span and boredom threshold of a hyperactive puppy. :yes:

Edited by Captain Bonglington
4 people like this

This thread has just triggered some early childhood memories, when i was a little kid my Dad was into model planes I remember him building a huge Glider out of balsa wood and what i remember as tracing paper but probably wasn't and the smell of something like nail polish.

3 people like this

the smell of something like nail polish.

I think that was/is called dope.

7 people like this

Was always a child hood dream to make one of those Tamiya radio controlled Baja buggies.

3 people like this

Was always a child hood dream to make one of those Tamiya radio controlled Baja buggies.

I remember those, but always dismissed them as "a bit hippy" lol . I wasn't keen on real life beach buggies either fwiw.

It was always the star of the window display though afair. That and the flying scotsman.

3 people like this

I think tamiya did a subauru brat. Or did I just dream that?

I've been trying to build kites recently.

Good fun.

:)

4 people like this

I think that was/is called dope.

It was indeed,

deluxe-materials-eze-dope.jpg

lol

5 people like this

I remember those, but always dismissed them as "a bit hippy" lol . I wasn't keen on real life beach buggies either fwiw.

It was always the star of the window display though afair. That and the flying scotsman.

must have been an early sign liking the 'hippy' model.

I think tamiya did a subauru brat. Or did I just dream that?

I've been trying to build kites recently.

Good fun.

:)

yes I believe they did but may have been a later model.

Their catalogues were incredible, perfectly painted battle scenes created from all their figures and model artillery.

1 person likes this

@@Ital Tamiya are re-releasing a lot of their classic models atm so you may be able to pick up one for nostalgia

(Am big into RCs aswell)

3 people like this

God yes, I remember balsa airframes covered with tissue paper and painted with dope to make it stiff and tight - what a lovely smell that was! I made a few gliders, and 2 control-line planes with a 1.5cc diesel engine - couldn't afford RC kit then - great fun but didn't last once I discovered sex and drugs and rock and roll (and motorbikes)!

4 people like this

The film Weird Science (1985). Now that's model making :naughty:

:bag:

7 people like this

I likes lego technic myself. I won't fork out for them instead me n my bros usually get the old man a couple for Christmas. He builds them then puts on them on the shelf till they gather a good layer of dust before stripping them down n reboxing them...

At that point I says "hey dad I wouldn't mind a crack at that one". lol tight fucker I is lol

6 people like this