Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

anonymoose

Palm Tree Ashes/Guano

I have some Guanokalong Palm Tree Ashes and Guano powder, 0-1-30 and 1-10-1 respectively. I usually grow with BioBizz nutes but I've heard great things about these so I bought them a while back. I figure in quite diluted form they can replace the bloom component of the nutrients and be fed along with grow to make a balanced bloom feed. Also, blended in the right ratio and fed at the right time, they would make a great organic PK booster. They're supposed to be fantastic for both yield and flavour.

My issue though, is that I have no idea how to use them. The instructions for the guano are to mix it in with your compost when you plant/pot up, and the ashes it gives instructions for mixing the powder in water and suggests feeding fortnightly. I know that the guano can be used in a tea, and Soma recommends the following.

"I take 100 grams of the dried guano and mix it with 2 quarts of hot water, stirring it with a plant stake until it is almost all dissolved. I then take an 8-ounce cup of the tea and add it to 10 liters of water with a PH of 6.6. I water the beds twice a week with this tea waiting until they are dry before applying it. I keep doing this until the middle of the 7th week in 12/12. With 10-week plants like the ones I’m growing now, I like to give them a good flush with water for two weeks or more before harvest.

In the 32 years I have been growing this most Sacred of plants, I have tried all kinds of plant foods, from miracle grow, to 10-52-10 with all its heavy metals. I have never found anything that beat the guanos for taste, yield or potency. It is 100% organic besides."

It's a complete mishmash of units and quite a nightmare to decipher when high. I tried it a few grows ago along with the palm tree ashes in the recommended ratio and fried my plants, they survived but it was clearly too much.

Is there a way to calculate a rough idea of the amounts that would be needed in order to use them to replace bloom, or to make an organic PK booster alongside the normal feed by using the NPK numbers?

Apologies for the long post!

Cheers

:)

Hey anonymoose, it's a great combo, I use it to replace PK boost, and it works well if dosage and timing are right, i only use it as a tea twice in flowering (1st at about the second week, 2nd at around the 5th week) I use 8 60ml scoops of guano, and 1 of palm ash, mix well with 1L boiling water (wear mask, stinks) and I add it to 9L of water and bubble for 24-48 hours.

It will depend on the size of your plants, and how long you've vegged for (I usually veg 8-10 weeks) with 10L airpots as my final pots.

Hope this helps a bit ;)

1 person likes this

@@Mugwuffin 8 60ml scoops of guano, so 480ml? Is that what you mean? Sounds like a massive quantity to me, not far off a pint of guano. Is that alongside a normal feeding regime? What nutrients do you use along with them?

Thanks

@@anonymoose, yes it looks like a lot, but remember this is turning a solid fertiliser into a liquid one, in the soil it would naturally take weeks to breakdown and become usable to the plants, the boiling water and bubbling will only unlock some of the nutrients (it's worth putting the 'sludge' into the tops of the pots as a dressing, to minimise waste) I use Guanokalong bloom (organic guano based fertiliser) after the 'tea' at half stregth and build it up to full by week 6.

1 person likes this

@@Mugwuffin Cheers. Makes sense, not sure how suitable it would be with my ferts though.

My BioBizz nutrients, with grow and bloom blended 50/50 gives a total NPK ratio of 6-10-10, and in the later stages of flower as more bloom fertiliser is added, that ratio will become more heavily weighted to wards the P and K. This is why I was wondering if it is best to use the tea along side just grow and with no bloom - grow has a ratio of 4-3-6 when used alone. The Guanokalong Bloom has zero P whatsoever in it, so the tea is the only P that is getting fed to them through watering. I assume there is probably Guanokalong Powder added to your compost though.

I might try it on one plant along with just grow and see how it goes rather than trying on the whole lot, last time they got fried, I don't know if it was the ashes or the guano, but one of them threw something way off and I got a lot of yellow crispy leaves. I don't think I used anywhere near that much guano so I'd guess it was the ashes.

I guess it is hard to calculate with powder based organic slow release ferts, but if you were to look at a chemical range like Canna for example, you can see the NPK based on the combinations of A&B plus the levels that they are elevated to by PK 13/14 for the weeks where it is prescribed. Some argue that 13/14 is wrong and it should be 1:2 as a ratio, like the 9/18 products, but either way, you can see what the complete totals are for the first few weeks - base fertiliser only and the period when they add weight - base fertiliser plus the PK boosters. I'm hoping there is a way that I can somehow calculate a way to match it to the NPK ratios of a known quantity, but when it is in powder form, I have no idea.

Thanks for the reply, like I said, I'll probably give that recipe a try on one plant :)

@@Mugwuffin Cheers. Makes sense, not sure how suitable it would be with my ferts though.

My BioBizz nutrients, with grow and bloom blended 50/50 gives a total NPK ratio of 6-10-10, and in the later stages of flower as more bloom fertiliser is added, that ratio will become more heavily weighted to wards the P and K. This is why I was wondering if it is best to use the tea along side just grow and with no bloom - grow has a ratio of 4-3-6 when used alone. The Guanokalong Bloom has zero P whatsoever in it, so the tea is the only P that is getting fed to them through watering. I assume there is probably Guanokalong Powder added to your compost though.

I might try it on one plant along with just grow and see how it goes rather than trying on the whole lot, last time they got fried, I don't know if it was the ashes or the guano, but one of them threw something way off and I got a lot of yellow crispy leaves. I don't think I used anywhere near that much guano so I'd guess it was the ashes.

I guess it is hard to calculate with powder based organic slow release ferts, but if you were to look at a chemical range like Canna for example, you can see the NPK based on the combinations of A&B plus the levels that they are elevated to by PK 13/14 for the weeks where it is prescribed. Some argue that 13/14 is wrong and it should be 1:2 as a ratio, like the 9/18 products, but either way, you can see what the complete totals are for the first few weeks - base fertiliser only and the period when they add weight - base fertiliser plus the PK boosters. I'm hoping there is a way that I can somehow calculate a way to match it to the NPK ratios of a known quantity, but when it is in powder form, I have no idea.

Thanks for the reply, like I said, I'll probably give that recipe a try on one plant :)

I used Palm tree ashes and Bat guano to top dress one of my plants which was well established/rooted in a 30l fabric pot .. it was the start of week 3 (flowering) and buds were forming well , so I used the recommended amount (on the label) of both products and mixed them together then top dressed my plant ... Disaster struck lol .. within 3 days my once very healthy plant was drooping and wilting so bad it was unreal "it was all over so fast" .. there was no coming back either, couldn't of killed my plant quicker if I'd sprayed it with roundup ..

I had issues too, what looked like a rampant nitgrogen deficiency that no amount of Fish Mix could allay. No idea if it was those products or Light Mix compost, it does seem to fall off a cliff me where despite being fed significant amounts of fertiliser they become really hungry very suddenly

I added gauno to soil didn't bother letting it cook and still worked a treat

Edited by Pumpkin Head

Been using Bio Grow/Bloom & TopMax in AllMix 7.5ltr Nutriculture root pruning pots 

then for the last couple Grows with

60gr Guanokalong Bat Guano Powder as a Top Dressing in Wk2 of 12/12....along with The Regular AllMix/BioBizz Grow Schedule

I have been very happy with the results (same Strain/Pheno/Mother as when Using Growth Technologies Ionic range (Grow/Bloom/PK Boost) & Greenfuse Root/Grow/Bloom/BlackJak Organic based Stimulators....)

I had noticed improved Aroma & Flavour after introducing The Greenfuse Organic Stims and based upon this and prior experience of Growing with Bonemeal and other Soil Amendments and the associated Terepene  I began using The BioBizz Range.

I have just reordered Guano and ordered some Palm Tree Ash this time and was intending adding 1x50ml Cup as a Top Dressing in Wk3 of 12/12(Maybe not at the exact same wk as the Guano)...as others have indicated this may be Too Much at once along with The Worm Castings etc already present within Newly potted AllMix.

Not sure if Oxygenated Organic Teas are more effective alongside BioBizz Grow ((Liquid Vinasse) and TopMax (Humic Acid) or continue Top Dressing along with the 3 Base BioBizz Products...

Any Organic Gurus, You're experience and comments would be welcomed(as I always look to improve with each and every grow)

Strange Feel like I am learning to Garden All over again...(and forgetting purposely to PH- Down with Acid and Oxygenate water  with Peroxide etc etc)

Is this a good feed for cannabis 2 weeks into flower....

All organic... 

50ml of each dry amendment top dressed 

Bat guano - 1.10.1    
Palm tree ashes - 0.1.30
Ecothrive charge - 3.2.3
Bone meal - 3.9.0 

Top dress watered in with compost tea with molasses and epsom salts 1 tbsp of molasses and 1/4 tbsp of epsom salts mixed in 5 gallon bucket brewed with air pump for 24hr.

How often should i feed, with every watering ?
Also, will i need to flush before harvest ? 
The flowering period is 8 weeks.
Any feedback would be much appreciated,
Thanks.

1 person likes this