Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Farmer davo

PM Soil Supreme PH

28 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Does anyone know the PH of Soil Supreme?

After stumbling across a post by OT1 on how to check medium PH (100ml of RO Water with 100ml medium, combine,shake and test after 1 hour etc.) i was surprised to see the result of PH 4.5!

Seems a little low to me?

RO was 6.5 before adding to the soil.

I've been having issues with Mag/Cal Def in a hard water area (EC 0.6) so have invested in an RO unit, im concerned now though that this could cause me other issues.

I have Dolomite Lime on order... should i be buffering the medium to 7?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

FD

1 person likes this

Hi i think you are getting a false reading, the water from an RO unit has no buffer to stabilize the ph so if you add anything acidic and leave it too long the ph will crash, you should test the run off from your pots or take a reading within a few minuets if testing the soil.

You don't need to ph soil it self buffers. You'll do more harm than good messing about

2 people like this

The answer to your question is "lower than 5.5", as shown in Hydromag in Jan/Feb issue:

gallery_8630_13899_147324.jpg

More info, for comparison:

gallery_8630_13899_280450.jpg

Make sure you sprikle a bit of Plant Sucess Great White on your roots when potting up, improves access to nutrients.

Edited by skunked-up

Agree with gpeene on this, I've always used PM soil as there's never been any need to twiddle about with it. Just ordered another bag. :oldtoker:

Edited by Bhang Buddie

I'm gonna try Canna Bio Terra Plus next time as it contains organic nutrients. If your following an organic regime you might want to consider that as 90% of composts are made up of sythetic nutrients. So what I'm saying is your vegging your plants on inorganic mineral based feed.

Edited by skunked-up
1 person likes this

On 23/10/2016 at 2:18 PM, VikingDee said:

You don't need to ph soil it self buffers. You'll do more harm than good messing about

So is my pm soil buffering to ph 5.3 ? 

9 hours ago, Kaoticnzymes said:

I think in theory it'll buffer to what ever ph the soil would stand at when you started. The general consensus is growing in compost/super soil you shouldn't be doing things like ph because that's just importing hydro techniques into a non hydro situation. The same as using Pk boosters, that's just harming the micro life in the soil which is essential, but something not to be worried about in hydro. It's a different process. It's difficult to change your way of thinking when your used to growing in coco/ hydro and I've really struggled myself. But having read a lot lately on uk420 I think I've got my head around it now. 

1 person likes this

I am having to adjust Ph, even though using PM Soil Supreme. Here the problem is the water which has an outrageously high Ph, and a total fuck-up of a mineral content.

It is true that generally speaking, compost should not need adjusting as it should buffer things itself. BUT: Beware bad water! Grower's Ark do a water test for you, and if needed will produce custom nutrients to deal with it. They've certainly swung my grow round from rubbish to halfway decent again.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Arnold Layne said:

I am having to adjust Ph, even though using PM Soil Supreme. Here the problem is the water which has an outrageously high Ph, and a total fuck-up of a mineral content.

It is true that generally speaking, compost should not need adjusting as it should buffer things itself. BUT: Beware bad water! Grower's Ark do a water test for you, and if needed will produce custom nutrients to deal with it. They've certainly swung my grow round from rubbish to halfway decent again.

That's an interesting point thanks for that. Are you in a hard water area @Arnold Layne

@VikingDeeVery hard water here. But the mineral balance proved just as bad if not worse.

Sorry, missed out this quote from GA in their response to my water analysis:

Hi Mxxxxx

results and comments for water analysis are below, values are in parts per million (ppm) except pH

Calcium......................87.6

Magnesium................5

Sulphate....................79

Alkalinity....................280

Chlorine..................<= 2

pH...........................7.25

I'm sure the chemists and other whizz kids will be able to interpret this data for you.....

Edited by Arnold Layne

Ive not long got my water Tested By Growers ark myself and as you can see not that different to the above.

Although sulfate looks higher by quite a bit.

results are below values are in parts per million (mg/ltr) except pH which is of coarse in  the pH scale (-log of the concentration of Hydrogen ions if you ever wanted to know).

Calcium............64 ppm

Magnesium......6 ppm

Sulphate...........4 ppm

Alkalinity ..........280 ppm

pH.....................7.45

This is a hard water.

Magnesium levels are lowish (range from 0 to 50+ with usual range between 2 and 20) and when compared to the amount of Calcium an ideal ratio of Ca to Mg is between 2.5 and 4 to 1.if your food does not have sufficient Mg this may cause problems assimilating enough Mg (essential to chlorophyll as Fe is to Haemoglobin).

If using our hard water soil food  with this water gives final values for Ca of 84 ppm and Mg of 28 ppm giving a ration of 3;1 which is good.

When growing in soil I can see no other issues with this water.  "

Curious @Arnold Layne do you ever get MG def if you dont PH ?

I get MG def pretty much every grow , but then there is virtually no mg In our water 6. parts per million , it didn't even show on my my water supplies website because its in such low values. its worrying in the sense that dont us humans need MG /CAL like our plats do .....

Well I'm off to have Epsom salts bath myself only way I'm likely to adsorb any.

i've only just opened my first bag of Plant Magic supreme soil have to consistency wise seems really nice.

as to the Ph isn't it meant to get more Alkaline over the grow ?......this a question as much as a answer ?

1 person likes this

The last

On 12/02/2017 at 1:27 AM, Kaoticnzymes said:

The last time I used pm soil I was getting a PH level of 4.4. It's worth having a check. Stick some soil in a pot, water and leave for a few hours, then squeeze soil and check run off. kept getting what i thought was MG deficiency but it was lockout :thumbdown: My water comes out between 7.6-8.4 ph. PM were good a few year ago, but now they suck balls.

1 person likes this

@BarrySHitPeas how did you get hold of Growers Ark ? Email bounced back as full inbox and no answer on their phone lol ... not massively inspiring :mellow: , do I need Vince and his Voodoo to contact them ?? 

@Breezus Yeah I had the same at first. Although the email bounces back , he did receive it ,I'm thinking full inbox.

call them in the morning I found they answered the phone then, leave your contact number/email , once you do get hold of them they are extremely helpful. Good luck 

2 people like this