Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Auxin

Cheap, simple, waterproof root warming

27 posts in this topic

yes it works fine as i only have one heat mat (not the entire room) tested it with a mains plug

I've used Parasene cables for a while, but I bury them in sand as per the manufacturer's instructions.

I like the idea of just sticking them under a tile, can't really see any downside to that method.

@@Absurdist yeah it seemed like a no brainer when looking at the cost of those traditional mats. Out of interest how to do you actually use the sand bed? Is it mainly for propagation?

I've used Parasene cables for a while, but I bury them in sand as per the manufacturer's instructions.

I like the idea of just sticking them under a tile, can't really see any downside to that method.

I actually prefer the idea of a Sand bed.

Sand has great thermal capacity so the whole bed will ask as a kind of mass storage heater. You can also sink the pots slightly. Meaning a greater surface area will be in contact with the warm bed. Allowing better transfer of the heat to the pots. Probably wise to line the bottom of the pot with some capillary matting or similar. To stop yr medium leaking into and contaminating the sand bed.

When I get around to it I was considering using something like washing up bowls instead of pots. The wider foot print and shallower profile of the pots should allow for even more efficient thermal transfer in theory...

Just theory at the moment but when I get around to it I'll be sure to document the success or failure of this proposed method...

Bests dodge

2 people like this

Quick update to this... I've found that the cable very slowly melts the polystyrene so I've replaced it with celotex which I'm not happy about.

melted polystyrene

I'm not convinced on the safety of PIR insulation for humans or plants... spend 3 days working with the shit over the summer and I vowed to never touch it again. I'll put money on that stuff being banned eventually. Long term I think I'll go eco and get some cork. I'm pretty sure that a tile in between the polystyrene and the cable would be fine also. Just a heads up for anyone looking to replicate.

3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Have you considered potting them in resin? It would help spread the heat and seal everything nicely away from moisture which cork may pick up? The only downside is that it's rather permanent.

Oh just had a thought - If you coated the cables or something of similar size and shape in teflon you could make a resin spreader plate to place on top - it acts as a releasing agent so if you potted the wire/substitute at the surface so you could pop it out for servicing :)

E2A Would it be easier to pin the cables in place and airgap them from the tiles a little?

Edited by Kinetikal
hodoring again

@KinetikalJust seen this mate. Not sure what you mean by potting in resin. The tiles do a pretty good job spreading the heat evenly. Found it works with all types of pots, although fabric is defo more efficient. Now I just put the thermostat probe directly in the coco of a pot near my passive intakes as they are the coldest... set it at 20 and job done. The warmest pots only ever 2 degrees warmer at the roots

I never bothered with cork insulation in the end... stuck with 50mm celotex type shit which can sit in run off fine.

Teflon coating is a bit beyond me, not gonna lie. I like my hacks the way I like my women; cheap, simple and flexible lol

I'd still recommend this setup  to anyone wanting toasty roots. It's lasted years and still does the job. The parasene branded cables aren't about any more which is just as well as the quality control  was shocking. There are copies on fleabay which are much more reliable

1 person likes this

I got a sqM of underfloor heating for a tenner and hooked it up to an inkbird stat with the probe in one of the pots. Stat maintained root temps for about £35 :yep:

large.20191122_163153-1209x587.jpglarge.20191122_172851-1209x2487.jpg

4 people like this

@BushDoctoR
 Bargain mate... how many watts is that? Does it need insulating underneath?

5 hours ago, Auxin said:

@BushDoctoR
 Bargain mate... how many watts is that? Does it need insulating underneath?

150w mate, it's a very gentle warming effect, so gentle I didnt think it would work when I first turned it on but it does maintain temps nicely. I've got it on a piece of 25mm celotex, it doesn't need to have insulation underneath but it's worth it so the surface below doesn't steal any heat

1 person likes this

@BushDoctoR
Looks tip top. Yeah... insulating underneath made a huge difference to mine

On 1/7/2020 at 0:08 PM, Auxin said:

@KinetikalJust seen this mate. Not sure what you mean by potting in resin. The tiles do a pretty good job spreading the heat evenly. Found it works with all types of pots, although fabric is defo more efficient. Now I just put the thermostat probe directly in the coco of a pot near my passive intakes as they are the coldest... set it at 20 and job done. The warmest pots only ever 2 degrees warmer at the roots

I never bothered with cork insulation in the end... stuck with 50mm celotex type shit which can sit in run off fine.

Teflon coating is a bit beyond me, not gonna lie. I like my hacks the way I like my women; cheap, simple and flexible lol

I'd still recommend this setup  to anyone wanting toasty roots. It's lasted years and still does the job. The parasene branded cables aren't about any more which is just as well as the quality control  was shocking. There are copies on fleabay which are much more reliable

Potting is just casting or covering components in a compound - say I have an awkward thing to heat or cool, if I smother it in goo that goes hard I can make it into a shape that's easy to cool. The teflon was just as a release agent for mold-making or forming the shape of the resin. A bit of a ballache and over engineered, but thought it worth mentioning as it's the easiest way I could think of doing what you wanted and making it as practically durable as I could think of too :)