Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Embryo

Howard Marks - Mr Smiley

16 posts in this topic

Recently read a good book which i haven't seen mentioned on the boards.

Here is the publishers blurb;

Howard Marks is the most famous drug smuggler of his age, and a hero to a generation. On his release from one of America's toughest prisons, Howard made a promise to himself to go straight. No more drugs, no more smuggling, no more fake passports. He would retire to a quiet life with his family in the Balearic Islands of Spain. It didn't quite work out that way.

This was the mid-nineties, the height of the ecstasy and clubbing boom, and Ibiza was at the very centre of the vortex for the 'E generation'. Pills had taken the place of marijuana, Paul Oakenfold had replaced The Rolling Stones as the music of the masses, but some people are just born for life on the other side of the law.

It wasn't long before Howard found himself trying pure ecstasy and rubbing shoulders with some of the king-pins of the pill trade. These included some of Britain's most notorious gangsters, who were laundering millions of pounds of gold stolen from the legendary Brink's-Mat bullion raid. As Britons descended on Ibiza ahead of one of the greatest summers of the nineties, Howard was preparing for his most outrageous operation yet.
Incredibly funny, moving and scabrous, Howard Marks' Mr Smiley follows a journey to the heartland of the clubbing and British crime scene. It is also a fitting last word from one of Britain's best loved bad boys.

Here is my (very)short review;

I loved it and found it an engrossing read. One of his better books and worth a read if you are interested in the history of MDMA & the U.K.

Anyone else had a read?

Edited by Embryo
4 people like this

I'll have a look out for that; I enjoyed Señor Nice

RIP Howard Marks

Edited by Superdedupity
1 person likes this

SN is an interesting read but i think this one is more up my street

Edited by Embryo
1 person likes this

I'll phrase that better; I enjoyed Señor Nice because I'd enjoyed Mr. Nice, but it probably wasn't the best of books.

I still have the book of dope stories and still dip into bits and pieces of it; it introduced me to many more interesting writers

1 person likes this

Haven't read it but I will now. Cheers

1 person likes this

I have this and will read it as my next book..

Which bring me on to the subject.......... I'm looking for books to read!

My normal book is; Mr Nice, Marching Powder, Basically anything Drug smuggler related or people doing time incarcerated for drug offences... I like true story's.. I'm looking for the next Strain hunter / Mr Nice book to read..., Any suggestions?

OCM

1 person likes this

@@organiccheeseman not really a smugglers tale but a brilliant one worth a read is papillon.

Enjoy

2 people like this

@@organiccheeseman Try Mama Coca by Antonil published by Hassle Free Press

1 person likes this

Midnight Express was always a good read.

2 people like this

@@organiccheeseman ,Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden is well written.Mind blowing actually.

Grass by Phil Sparrowhawk is another side of the Mr Nice story, good read too

@@Phoenix @@r3d @@Joint hogger @@Mephitis

From top down... Read all of Mr Nice, was some time ago but I'm looking for new material...

I've not read Papillion but I've seen the film if it's the same one.. I know, films don't do the books justice and all that..

Midnight Express and Mama Coca.... Now there is 2 I need to add to my list!

Killing Pablo I've read also I've read his brothers book, It's good.... Gives you another persons perspective on the story of Escobar..

Yes, I've also read Grass too :rockon:

I read one also about an Australian banged up in the Bangkok Hilton for smuggling Heroin... Read it twice as I forgot I read it the 1st time around lol...

Warren is the guys name isn't it?, I read it a good while ago.

The cockroach story is bad.

Decent read imo..

1 person likes this