Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dallas1305

1.2m x 1.2m (4'x4') LED lighting help

Hi Guys,

I'm Dave and I'm a noob to growing. Im finding it difficult to get information regarding cheaper LED brands as a lot of the brands mentioned on forums/youtube seem to be either exclusive to the US or not around anymore and certainly not accessible to me in the UK.

So, to the setup so far:

4ftx4ftx6ft tent

5" rvk fan with 6" carbon filter attached for outlet

4" rvk fan for inlet

plagron allmix

root bags

beginners mistake: 1 x Wappa, 1 x vertigo (auto), 1 x Mexican Sativa, 1 x ruderalis indica (semi-auto) and 1 x either cambodian or jam sensi... and yes I now know I shouldn't have gone for all different seeds, but they're about 6" tall now and I don't want to start again. I figured I'd just experiment this 1st time and use it as a learning experience and not be too upset about yield.

I managed to get all the above for what I think is a good price (£200). the final thing I've been researching is my lighting and my eyes are finding it difficult to cope with reading screens most the day trying to find the best bang for my buck without getting fleeced.

I've got an absolute max budget of £300 and I definitely need to go the LED route due to other means producing too much heat.

I've been in-touch with Mars who recommended the mars2 1200W or the reflector 192. They seem okay, however, I'm not fully convinced as I've heard that 1200w lets out a lot of heat.

Should i go for one big light to cover it all all loats of small ones?

Heat is something i want to keep to a bare minimum and 300 quid is max.

As you can tell ive only really found mars to be within my range and would really like to hear about other affordable trustworthy brands.

I would really appreciate any of your suggestions.

thank you

Dave

Honestly, whatever LED's you use at that price point will disappoint in a 4x4 tent, you want a 600w ballast, and if you are concerned about heat on the plants then a parabolic reflector of some description, bare minimum I would attempt would be a 400w HPS, I would recommend the Turrican with Maxibright Promax & 600W/400v Sunmaster Lamp spend the rest of your budget on a contractor and grasslin timer :yep:

Edited by Owderb

The mars II 1200w you could "possibly" get away with but I doubt the penetration will be very good and you will likely regret you decision. Even if you were to build a LED light yourself you would not do anything decent within your budget so expecting it from an off the shelf may be a tall order.

For your size intake and extractor you should seriously consider an 600w HPS - your yield will far outstrip (by a long way) anything LED for the budget you have - if you ever go led then never go cheap at it because you will hate what you have after one grow.

I am running a 1 METER Diameter "PARABOLIC" shade on a 600w HPS - I have a relatively warm house and have no issues with heat as the shade dissipates an awful lot of it - it actually runs cooler in my tent with this set up than it did when I had a cooltube.

Dont go cheap on LED's mate.... if you TRULY think you need them for heat reasons then 1. simply return your intake and exhaust and go a size bigger and get an HPS and parabolic (not that i think you'll need to upsize) or 2. save up for a bud master II God 9 or equivalent top of the range LED because i promise you you'll regret anything else. That being said, as someone who has never grown before you could be really happy..... but you'd be pissed knowing what an HPS would pull over your shitty low bin filled LED from hell. If you really have to go with Mars, then the mars pro cree 256 would be the best choice but still u need to save your pennies :)

I'm sorry to shatter your hopes, but we've all had ours shattered too once we did the research. I am dying to switch to LED myself but I will be doing a DIY build to ensure proper coverage and penetration of my 1.2. Last time I specced out the components i needed it was gonna run me well over £800 quid.

Personally I'd say get 2 x the mars reflector 144, it will cost just over budget at around £180 each but they run cool, hardly any heat and look at my galley if you want to see results , great price and produce great results , I do have hps/ mh set up as well but get just as good results with my Mars, only downfall is on winter you'll need to get done sort of heater if it's in a cold area.

Thank you

@@ritch @@LovinTheBeans and @mr.c

Really appreciate the honest advice from all.. Definitely made me think. I'm going to mull over this one and Hopefully by the end of tomorrow ill have come up with a decision. Ill keep you all posted on what i decide on.

Im glad i asked here

Cheers dave

I wouldn't go with Mars II 1200, at £320 they're expensive for what they are - and they do run warm.

The Mars Reflector 144 is (diode wise) the equivalent of a Mars 720, and they seem to be £190, at the moment but a pair costs £355.

If you're definitely going with Mars get two Mars 600 units. You can get them from Mars EBay for £200 the pair, new, delivered. They're exactly the same number of exactly the same diodes as a Mars 1200, but a lot cheaper, and they generate less heat as they're two units. You'll also get better coverage as you can space them out slightly. And if you run multi-strain you can adjust canopy height individually.

The only thing they're missing is a "veg" switch which would save money during vegetation. Protip: only run one unit during vegetation until the plants are so big you need both. SORTED! :smartass:

If you want some bleeding-edge LEDs look up PlantPhotonics. They're expensive to buy but the diodes they use are orders of magnitude better than Mars. But Mars units do work. Just don't expect miracle yields.