Welcome to UK420

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ukganjagrower

Cheap Alternative To Gnat Off

Does anybody know any cheaper alternatives to gnat off?

no bud, you can look for products with Bacillus Thuringiensis subspecies Israeliensis, Dipteran active toxin(s, which are the active ingredients in gnat off, but TBH if you have a bad infestation you will be battling them all the way through your grow, they are why I swapped from b and q mp compost to PM soil supreme as I had 2 infestations, I used gnat off, but I used it from the very beginning at initial pot up and 1 feed after then at every pot up after and 1 feed after but I always seemed to have the odd 1 flying around, but it did keep the numbers v low but imo if you got an infestation it wont touch them but its a great prevention :)

you need to kill the flyers also even though they do no damage to your plants its the larvae that eat your roots and cause problems if not controlled but the flyers lay the fuckers constantly, you can put sharp sand at the top of your pots but it always ends up getting watered in after a while unless your v careful when watering this stops tem laying in the soil also get a good breeze blowing over the canopy not directly at the plant but over them, then the fuckers cant fly, which means they cant lay :), get some sticky traps also but uts a hell of a battle, I hate the fuckers lol

ATB GREEN

2 people like this

im having great success with yellow traps and hydroton clay balls at the top of pots, the clay balls stop em from getting to the soil to lay, still have the off one flying around but nothing like the madness i had last summer (fucking cheap compost with freebie pests)

1 person likes this

no bud, you can look for products with Bacillus Thuringiensis subspecies Israeliensis, Dipteran active toxin(s, which are the active ingredients in gnat off, but TBH if you have a bad infestation you will be battling them all the way through your grow, they are why I swapped from b and q mp compost to PM soil supreme as I had 2 infestations, I used gnat off, but I used it from the very beginning at initial pot up and 1 feed after then at every pot up after and 1 feed after but I always seemed to have the odd 1 flying around, but it did keep the numbers v low but imo if you got an infestation it wont touch them but its a great prevention :)

you need to kill the flyers also even though they do no damage to your plants its the larvae that eat your roots and cause problems if not controlled but the flyers lay the fuckers constantly, you can put sharp sand at the top of your pots but it always ends up getting watered in after a while unless your v careful when watering this stops tem laying in the soil also get a good breeze blowing over the canopy not directly at the plant but over them, then the fuckers cant fly, which means they cant lay :), get some sticky traps also but uts a hell of a battle, I hate the fuckers lol

ATB GREEN

okay mate nice one :) i might just have to get some, i know its a bit expensive just to throw in the ground but i'd rather that then scrimp on some cheap shit and kill my plants

1 person likes this

@@ukganjagrower

From memory mate I used half a cupfull and added boiling water then tipped it in to a 14 litre bucket,can`t say I noticed any difference to be fair.

How bad are they? If theres loads just use the sand ontop and get as many as possible sticky traps,they trap the adults and stop them going back into the medium.

Just control them,it`s not often in my experience anyhow you`ll get rid of them,it`s all about controlling the numbers and that link has a few good tips.

Cut your yellow traps into squares and place them at pot level and a couple around the drainage holes,because once they know they can`t get out the top past the sand or pebbles they look for other exits.

I never lost yield wise mate,it was just an effort to control them.

Good luck.

Tenchie.

1 person likes this

@@ukganjagrower

From memory mate I used half a cupfull and added boiling water then tipped it in to a 14 litre bucket,can`t say I noticed any difference to be fair.

How bad are they? If theres loads just use the sand ontop and get as many as possible sticky traps,they trap the adults and stop them going back into the medium.

Just control them,it`s not often in my experience anyhow you`ll get rid of them,it`s all about controlling the numbers and that link has a few good tips.

Cut your yellow traps into squares and place them at pot level and a couple around the drainage holes,because once they know they can`t get out the top past the sand or pebbles they look for other exits.

I never lost yield wise mate,it was just an effort to control them.

Good luck.

Tenchie.

ive not got any just yet but ive read that the b&q compost im planning to use for my guerilla grow this year, can have a big problem with fungus gnats/blackfly so i just plan on giving them some to prevent it when i plant them out

Get some gnatnix, made from recycled glass I believe.

Comes in 9ltr bag, just top dress your medium with it

1 person likes this

i agree with the coffee remedy..

i did 1 teaspoon in 2 liters of water..

corpses everywhere

;)

i agree with the coffee remedy..

i did 1 teaspoon in 2 liters of water.. Nice one mate. I didn't want to mix in too much incase it affected the plants but not to mix it too weak incase it didn't do anything:)

;)

1 person likes this

Nice one guys. I'll mix in some coffee when I plant them out and I'll put something on top too. I know it's unorthodox but I may tie some stick traps loosely to the bottom nodes too

must say..

if your going outdoors nature will help the balance..

hover flies / ladybirds / spiders etc etc etc will pick the plants clean..

i would just treat the soil once and see whats what..

putting fly paper etc will more than likely trap the good insects also

:)

okay guys thanks for the help :) i'll just treat them once when i plant out and keep an eye open for the little bastards